Squawker Video?

Is this it? Warning, if you don't want your hounds going nuts, turn the volume down.

th_MVI_8458.jpg

Just wanted to add, the last test we did, Kevin didn't hold the squawker up high enough and Gee got it. RIP Squawker. We have to get a new one.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I purchased mine from the NGA website. There is a section on supplies and you'll find it there.

It's item# 703. It's bigger than the lures I've seen on some adoption sites. There are two sizes I've seen, pocket size and the large one. I got the large one.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh, this is the first mention I've seen of squawkers here. Do you guys use them for training or playtime, or what? Our adoption group has been including them in the adoptees little gift bags, and we used ours to help train Capri to come on command. Very, very useful!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

We use ours about once a month, to make sure the hounds respond. If you use it too often the dogs will get used to it and when you really need it i.e. they get loose, they're less likely to come when they hear it.

Oh, this is the first mention I've seen of squawkers here. Do you guys use them for training or playtime, or what? Our adoption group has been including them in the adoptees little gift bags, and we used ours to help train Capri to come on command. Very, very useful!

I've seen here and heard that they are very handy to have in case of an escape. Hope I don't ever have to use it for that but I'd like to still have it on hand.

Guest caiteag

We just got ours but here is our basic plan... as Judy said.. once a month get out the squawker and when they come running for it, re-inforce with treats. It is ENTIRELY for the purpose of getting them to come back in case of escape.

Greyhounds are trained with these to race. Inside every lure at every track across the country has one of these. When the race is over you can hear this noise coming from the lure. Greyhounds start training to chase the lure with these when they're about 12 months old. The noise is very familiar which is why you see my dogs jumping to get it in the video. It's kind of the prize at the end of the race so to speak.

If your hound gets loose and is running and you use the squawker, some hounds will stop in their tracks and come running back to you.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

I've got a full sized one stashed in the kitchen and a small one in my car's glovebox. . .I figure that way if they get out and they're close I'll go for the bigger (louder) one, but if I end up having to drive around (God Forbid!) The little one might be handy. . .

I played the video and the dogs went nuts (especially Stella, and she was a match-racer so maybe they use them too).

Guest onlygreys4me

Does anyone have the link to the video of the guy taking the squawker off the refrigerator and all the dogs come running? I want to play it and see if Tank responds, if he does I need to get one.

Thanks!

how many dogs did he have? I counted 7? :eek

Guest ctgreylover

even with the sound low, Tony came CHARGING... he is not a roo'er but he was tense and curious! At least I know that if we are ever separated, he WILL respond to one.

Does anyone have the link to the video of the guy taking the squawker off the refrigerator and all the dogs come running? I want to play it and see if Tank responds, if he does I need to get one.

Thanks!

how many dogs did he have? I counted 7? :eek

We have 10 and one JRT.

• 1 year later...

Our hounds are crazy responsive to squawkers too. As another poster mentioned, we also keep a small squawker in the car's glove compartment. We take small and large squawkers when we travel, and we keep them handy for volunteering for lost Greyhound searches.

Here, we don't squawk ours on purpose because we want to save them in case of an emergency escape. Our treat rewards at home are not nearly as exciting as their racing training rewards were, so I don't want to de-condition the hounds from that valuable training. Even though they haven't heard a squawker for years, they don't forget that sound... The other day, I dropped one in the garage by mistake and all the hounds nearly knocked the door down to get into the garage! As soon as I opened the door, one hound was standing up on her hind legs searching me from head to toe, while the others were eagerly bouncing behind her. :lol Poor things were very disappointed that I was empty-handed.

We do blow a whistle to train our hounds to "come" for special treats, and whenever we're going for a ride to a highly exciting doggie destination. A whistle can be tried in an emergency recall outside too, but a whistle doesn't work nearly as well as a squawker for a loose hound in a real emergency.

Greyhounds are trained with these to race. Inside every lure at every track across the country has one of these. When the race is over you can hear this noise coming from the lure. Greyhounds start training to chase the lure with these when they're about 12 months old. The noise is very familiar which is why you see my dogs jumping to get it in the video. It's kind of the prize at the end of the race so to speak.

If your hound gets loose and is running and you use the squawker, some hounds will stop in their tracks and come running back to you.

Haha! I was too embarassed to ask. Thanks Judy! I knew they were used at the track, and I've read here not to use them as a toy. I can't wait until I'm home to play that for George and see if anything happens.

Silly dog went back to Raynham Park (where he worked for three years) for an event and acted like he'd never seen the place! So it'll be interesting if he's just totally mentally purged everything he used to be all about!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

What happend to the video? it brings me to photobucket and requires a passw

I'm not sure what happened but I put the link back in. Try the video now and see if it works. It worked for me because now my dogs are going nuts. :lol