Licking The Couch

Guest broodies4me

Guest broodies4me

Our newest broodie seems to like to lick the couch. And when she is down she moves to another spot to lay down and after awhile licks that spot! I have so many wet spots on my couch there isnt places for us Humans to sit. I tried putting sheets on the couch but she digs and digs until she gets the loose. I don't know what else to do. To make matters worse she nows has our small terrier doing it!

Guest Swifthounds

Dogs lick to sooth themselves, which is why it can be a difficult habit to retrain. I have one senior boy who has always been a licker to a certain extent, though I have been able to redirect it. If you keep redirecting it, and she has a bit more time to totally settle in, it will probably lessen over time.

Guest FrostyBottoms

My Vinny licks the couch in the basement. It is a faux leather couch...he doesn't do it to any other furniture. When I replace my family room couch, I wanted a leather couch, but now I am worried that he will ruin it. I always try to stop him by putting a blanket under him. Sometimes that works, but he has literally licked the color right off.

I think it's sort of an OCD sort of thing. They get started and they can't stop themselves. See if you can redirect her to something acceptable - maybe some sort of chew or bone, or if she has a favorite toy. You could probably use treats too, and make it a training exercise. All four of mine will do it to a certain extent, though Dude is a champ at it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FullMetalFrank

Chelsa is a couch licker, too; and anything metal, she loves to go after the floor heater grates. I usually just tell her no lick and she will stop; or sometimes she will redirect her licking to her front legs. She doesn't do it too obsessively, so I don't worry much about it. She reminds me of my first greyhound, Iberia, who was also a licker. :rolleyes::wub:

Guest PhillyPups

Gremlin is a licker. I just figured with 44 pups under her belt, she was probably cleaning them forever!! :lol

The Queen, BarbieJade was also a licker, and with 33 pups, I figured the same. :dunno

Guest BeakerBoy

I saw this topic and, after reading it, I'm really glad to know that I'm not the only one who has a fabric licker. :) The only thing I've seen Beaker lick are his floor cushions, but he REALLY likes to lick them. I have one in the basement and one in our bedroom so he has places to lay around the house and he uses them all the time, but he can lick them for what seems like an eternity. I've never seen him lick any other kind of fabric (unless he happens to smell some food on the carpet-ha!) and he never gets on any furniture, so I assume/hope that the floor cushions will be the extent of his fabric licking.

Guest grapecat

Ditto! Humphrey will lick the couch - it's leather and it makes the most awful sound! We just tell him no and he stops, after giving us the most reproachful look :) I didn't realise other dogs did that too!

Guest lat41065

Several mine do it too and it makes me nuts however it seeems to be a self soothing thing so we cover the couch and they can lick away.

Only one of the boys licks everything floors the kennels my bedding the concrete he might be a bit off LOL

Guest RobinAZ

GreyCee licks the couch too. I'm glad to see she's not the only one. I just try and distract her or tell her no and usually she stops. She's getting better :)