Have I Become Jaded Over The Years?

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Yup, I make sure to always have albon, metronidazole, tylan, cephalexin, amoxacillin (I can't spell!), doxicycline, and rimadyl. I have glue too! Haven't had to use it in ages, and I like it like that.

I have antiobiotics and pain meds on hand so I would have done the same thing

Surprised they didn't put a drain in though- has there been much leakage?

They left the bottom unstapled, and there was some drainage and oozing some yesterday. Took an older t-shirt and cut the end a bit, got it on her and tied the cut end together. It's a fairly snug tie. I checked this morning when I got up and now when I got in from work. Not a lot of drainage and she hasn't pulled it off. So I think I can avoid the blowup neck ring. Oh the humiliation that would have been.. :lol I would be getting the stink-eye for a year if I did that to her. :lol

I think when I go back to have the staples removed I will get another bottle of Ceph, just to have on hand.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

No, although I bet the color Jade looks good on you. Oh sorry...

Anyway, no I think we have learned a lot from our vets, from each other here on GT, that we know when to panic & when not. 

BuyCut bit Pipi while playing one night. I saw him do it, but it appeared he missed her. Well the next morning, she's laying on her side & there's this slice on her tummy. It was all skin & fat so no blood. I called my vet & he said yeah come on in. He did the same thing, stapled her but kept her over night just to keep an eye on her wound. That was the weekend she climbed over the 8 foot dog run in his kennel area....staples & all. 

If you buy it labeled for fish, you can get it way cheaper and without paying for an office visit.

I was not sure if by 'it' you were referring to Cephalexin or not,

so I did a quick google on "cephalexin fish" and found this fabulous page on antibiotics for dogs,

that I thought I'd share for anyone else interested.

The page has dosages and info on different antibiotics for which circumstances,

as well as an informative link about "expiration" dates on meds.

I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV, but being more educated means

hopefully next time I won't get talked into buying a whole new bottle

of Cephalexin at $$$ from the vet because the bottle we have is "old."

IPB Image

How's Tessa doing today? I have a Bite-Not collar. If you need/want to try it, let me know!

We are good to go..she is wearing a t-shirt and hasn't tried to take it off. I think she likes it in the mornings when it is on the cool side.. :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Nope, I don't think jaded...just experienced.

Having done a lot of the medical stuff for my adoption group (or at least being involved in the helping at the very least in certain situations), I've acquired a lot of knowledge...especially on broken legs (splints, wrapping, bandage changes, pressure sores, etc.), and wound care.

Shortly after I acquired Fritz, Ace air snapped at him over him being in her space or something. I am positive she didn't MEAN to get him, but, he moved at just the right moment and she gashed the front of his shoulder. It really didn't bleed at all, but I could see thru the skin to the muscle. I had a (medical) staple gun, so, I whipped out my hair clippers, cleaned him up real good, and stapled him right there on my mom's dining room floor. Not a peep out of him. To be fair it wasn't that big of a gash and only required about 4 staples, but, yeah, I did it.

That's not to say that I think I know too much...if I'm not sure about a wound or if I'm just not comfortable messing with it, we'll head to the ER. I'm thankful that I made that call with Pinky a couple of years ago. She basically scalped the backside of her front leg, above the stopper pad. She did it on a tree branch in the yard I think. My initial inclination was to put the skin flap back over the leg and bandage it up...but it wouldn't stop bleeding, so off to the ER we went. Good thing too - it took them about an hour just to clean and debride the wound...she had thousands of tiny microscopic splinters imbedded in her leg :( I had to leave her there for a couple of hours and come back for her. I'm really glad I made that call!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--