I'm So Frustrated

Guest FrostyBottoms

Guest FrostyBottoms

I fed them ground beef without the rice and neither of them pooped before bed....at 2:30am they woke up dh to take them out. He didn't go outside with them and couldn't tell the consistency, but I am guessing since it didn't go right through them, hopefully they absorbed some of it. colgate.gif

I will let you know how breakfast goes.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytloves

I am just throwing a couple of ideas out there.

Coccidia and giardia can lay dormant and not affect a healthy dog. Along comes something that stresses the immune system (vaccine) and wham... the buggers proliferate. Be it one of the above or a bacterial overgrowth.

There have been a zillion cases of vaccine reactions. Rabies vax causing a large majority. If something was wrong with that particular vaccine lot it might have affected the permeability of the intestines (cause of this is also immune system related) so they are now having reactions to food.

The way I would go at this is to check for the three things Eaglflyt suggested. If those are absolutely ruled out, I would start looking at food reactions from a medical standpoint. I think this is one case where I would try the allergy prescription diets like Z/D or HA. If there are no bacterial or parasitic causes I would ask my vet about trying some Pred or for other ideas to calm the immune system down.

If that works then six months from the time the diarrhea stops I would start to add in one protein. Staying away from what they have eaten since the diarrhea started. One ingredient at a time you will find out what they can eat and what they can't.

This.

(wonderful advice!)

Guest FrostyBottoms

They both pooped this morning after breakfast. It wasn't small (I am still adding in Metamucil...would that bulk it up?) It was dark brown, and Frosty still had a little of what looks like to me rice in her poop. Not as much as when she was eating rice, but still a little.

Could take as long as 48 hours for what was being fed before to work its way through.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest RocketDog

I have never had luck with adding rice to curb diarrhea - for my dogs it always ended up as rice-studded poop pancakes. If the ground meat still gives them big D, would you be averse to trying raw meat? Chicken leg quarters are what a lot of rawfeeders start out with, since the high bone content helps firm stools and the bones are easy enough for even the laziest chewers to eat without problems. Might be worth a try if nothing else works...

Guest Handsome

My greyhound had diarrhea for several months this year & "Rice Milk" is the only thing that worked. Simply, its overcooked rice; boiled until it becomes pasty. Drain & save the "rice milk"; put several tablespoons of the milk over hamburg or chicken along with the overcooked rice everyday. I only use River Rice (Minute Rice DOES NOT WORK). In one day his poop was back to normal. I make a large quantity once a week & store in refrigerator. This is not harmful & is also given to children & infants who have the same problem. I hope it works for you.

Stop by your vets office and pick up some W/D--canned or dry. It's a high fiber food that will work like a charm. What your feeding now is not balanced. After the stools start to become firm again then slowly introduce their regular diet back to them. The W/D will work--surprised your vet didn't reccomend it.

Guest LuvNLennox

My greyhound had diarrhea for several months this year & "Rice Milk" is the only thing that worked. Simply, its overcooked rice; boiled until it becomes pasty. Drain & save the "rice milk"; put several tablespoons of the milk over hamburg or chicken along with the overcooked rice everyday. I only use River Rice (Minute Rice DOES NOT WORK). In one day his poop was back to normal. I make a large quantity once a week & store in refrigerator. This is not harmful & is also given to children & infants who have the same problem. I hope it works for you.

Yes! If I do not cook the rice into a congee (rice with the consistancy of oatmeal) it actually gives my dogs the Big D (with whole pieces of undigested rice flecked in it) but preparing it this way it firms them up.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Stop by your vets office and pick up some W/D--canned or dry. It's a high fiber food that will work like a charm. What your feeding now is not balanced. After the stools start to become firm again then slowly introduce their regular diet back to them. The W/D will work--surprised your vet didn't reccomend it.

My vet thinks W/D is a waste of money because Metamucil will do the same thing....We just got home from Lake Geneva, my in-laws babysat the hounds and fed them the ground beef only and said the poop was really getting firm. smile.gif I can't wait to see my dog's poop! I never thought I would say that!

I really think the rice was the problem...i use a rice cooker and put as much rice in as I can fit which means there isn't enough room for the amount of water I should have been using. Live and learn.

I will keep the rice milk or cream of rice in mind in case we don't completely firm up. We have the vet apt. in the AM.

Thanks for everyones help!!! You guys are awesome!

Guest FrostyBottoms

Firm poops from both dogs after just eliminating the rice from their diet....confetti.gifbounce1.gifbannana.gifelephantdance.gif

We went to the vet....dropped a sample of Vinny's poop, the vet took Vinny's blood, he wants to make sure the protein levels are not low. He is also doing a level II poop test. He said he has never seen an an adult dog with coccidia with diarrhea as a symptom. Only puppies.

Bottom line is...I think if I would have listened to Batmom and the advice of STARTING with just a fecal, I would have saved myself $330 today. Well, minus the fecal cost.

So the vet wants me to keep them exactly what they are on right now, I added 1/2 cup of kibble this morning to the beef which is more kibble than they have had at one time in 3 months now, and almost 2 cups of beef, for the next 5 days. If there is no diarrhea, then the rice was the problem....if there is diarrhea, there may be a GI problem. I am so happy with the consistency.

A bonus from all of this is that Vinny has lost 10#'s! He is now 86lbs. He needed that. Frosty lost 3 #'s.

Extra testing won't hurt, except in the pocketbook (ow -- been there, done that). So glad to hear the poop is better! And that Vinny has now attained a svelte self, despite the cost (literal and figurative).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Yeah, and at least I will know there is nothing wrong (assuming nothing's wrong) but for the same thing to be wrong with both of them would be very unusual.

I still can't believe this was all due to rice that wasn't cooked with enough water. I hope Vinny can maintain his weight. He really does look great.

Might not've been "not enough water." My Batman would never get totally firm on rice. Wasn't diarrhea, but was always pretty soft serve.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Vet just called with the bloodwork...creatinine level is raised to 2.1 and BUN is 28. sad.gif

In Oct they took blood the day this all started and his creatinine level was 1.9 and BUN 23

I am hoping this is because of all the diarrhea.

Could be. I wouldn't get alarmed.

I've had dogs that couldn't tolerate rice but were fine with the "cream of" version. The whole grain does a number on some hounds, yours and mine, apparently. :rolleyes:

Guest mcsheltie

I wouldn't be alarmed at that either. That much of a fluxation can be due to the time of day and how close to a meal the sample was taken. Or a fasting vs not fasting sample.

after that much diarrhea it could be dehydration elevating the results too. Make sure they drink lots.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!