Poop Guards Work?

Guest hshirlow

Guest hshirlow

Do poop guards work? Sunshine is a recent rescue and suddenly desires to eat her poop at all times. She comes in reeking of it. We pick it up as soon as she goes, but sometimes the late night, freezing cold temps keep us from being so proactive. Tonight i caught her eating poop and when I tried to drag her away, she snapped at me and her teeth grazed my sweatshirt. I'm really upset about this! She is guarding poop!

Any advice? Would a muzzle and guard help? Or am I doomed to stinky breath?

Also, any advice on the guarding of poop, treats, etc? This is not an aggressive dog until I try to take something from her. I've been working on trading and it seems to be helping until it comes to "special" things like treats, a new toy, poop...!

It will keep her breath from smelling like poop, but you will likely be washing the muzzle each time she comes in after she shoves it into a pile of poop to try to eat it.

Ryan is back to using a muzzle and a new one and poop guard is on order (current muzzle is duct taped and not as easy to clean as a poop guard would be)

My Diana - is a poop-eater. :blush GAK!!!

The worst - is when it's freezing outside - she's brought frozen "poopsicles" into the house!!!

Nasty! The only thing I've found to works - is a kennel muzzel, with poop gaurd attached.

I honestly don't know how to break a dog from it - you can only muzzle. But - you might get a dog that comes in with a muzzle loaded with poop.

Once a poop eater - always a poop eater. Sorry. :blush

Guest Greytluv
Once a poop eater - always a poop eater. Sorry. :blush

When I first brought Piglet home she ate poop. I almost :puke I have never had a poop eater before. After about a week, she hasn't done it again. Do other dogs do this? Or am I in for more poop eating down the road?

Edited by Greytluv

All of mine wear muzzles with stool guards and they work wonderfully. So far I've not had to clean anyone's muzzle with the exception of Saint. When I first put the stool guard in his he would shove his muzzle in it but once he discovered he couldn't get to the poop he stopped it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Don't know what we would do without them here! A few days ago, all the muzzles got scrubbed, labeled, and each dog got his/her own poop guard. We've had a few try to shove their muzzle into poop, but like what Jillysfullhouse said, they give up once they realize they are not getting anywhere.

Only one (frozen only) poop eater here. Stool guard works great with the muzzle. She doesn't even bother to try. She does look so sad every time we put in on her though.... I tell her "tough doodie, that is what happens to poopcicle eaters".

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Well first, congratulations on your new arrival. What I would do is to teach, "leave it". I wont go into long detail of how to train this, it should be in the greyhounds for dummies book, as well as you can do some online searching. So, to solve this (which I had to do with my female) you will need to leash walk your hound outside, yes even in your fenced yard. That way your hound cannot physically get to the poop. After you can sucessfully teach her leave it, then walk her close enough to the poop, if she tries it, leave it. After a little while of sucessful leave it, then you let her out without the leash, but stand out and watch her. Again, if she goes for the poop, leave it. With enough training, you should be able to make some headway. Also, a muzzle with poop-guard works well (if you dont want to buy a poop-guard, just take some duct tape and tape over the front openings of the muzzle, it will effectively do the same).

Good Luck

When I first put the stool guard in his he would shove his muzzle in it but once he discovered he couldn't get to the poop he stopped it.

He's just not determined enough then :lol I have to clean Ryan's usually at least once a day. His muzzle is just taped and his new muzzle with guard is on the way, so maybe he'll get the picture with that one, but with the current one, even after several weeks of wearing it every time he went out... he was still trying. Determination!

Oh my gosh, that is determination. Unless Saint really feels the need for a snack, he usually just leaves his alone. On nice days when the sun is shining and it's warm I'll catch him rolling on his back in the grass, moving his head from side to side and taking his muzzle off.:rolleyes: I usually catch him before he is able to grab a snack.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Funny thing, someone else had mentioned it before, different house, different behavior, since our last move nobody eats poop anymore. Before that, we needed muzzles and poop guards, and I had to rinse them off every time they went outside. Yes, they work, but you may have to wash the muzzles and poop guards, be at the ready when you open the door..... ;)

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)