Help Help

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

My Bern has started to discover how tasty wood is...he's chewed the corner of the windowsill....what gives? How can I nip this in the bud before he really gets serious about his new found hobby? :eek

Some bitter apple on the windowsill corners.

Joseph did a little of that for awhile but gave it up pretty quick. Fingers crossed Bernie is the same.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

And hi muzzle. It'll at least make it harder to chew.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If the bitter apple doesn't work, try a dab of tea tree oil. Sunny went through a phase of chewing wood and the bitter apple didn't deter him at all, but the tea tree worked a treat - he HATES it!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Never heard of tree oil. I personally use any ol' hotsauce that I happen to have around the house. It worked for two fosters that I had. One of the two seemed to enjoy the bitter apple, go figure.

Guest whimzical

My Bern has started to discover how tasty wood is...he's chewed the corner of the windowsill....what gives? How can I nip this in the bud before he really gets serious about his new found hobby? :eek

Jonsey (joined our family in late september he is 2 years old)started on the coffee table, when i was home he got a stern atttt, i also used Bitter Yuck spraying the table every morning. that seemed to work.

Good Luck!!

I'd suggest the "ah ah" when you see it--give him something else to chew--and the muzzle when you're gone.

We have a window sill in our dining room that was pretty much destroyed by great Dane puppies who just sauntered over whenever they wanted a little snack. I wish we'd been more attentive back then. ;)

Guest GreyFan09

Wow, what a appropriate topic. We've had Comet for 5 months with no problems at all. Then all of the sudden 3 weeks ago he chewed part of my wife's antique rocking chair, and then a week ago he chewed off a corner of our coffee table in the living room! She is ready to strangle him! I caught him in the act with the coffee table and gave him my best low voice growling "NO!" and he jumped up and ran away, and hasn't tried chewing and anything else since, but now we can't trust him. I sprayed bitter yuck on all the pointy wood things in the living room that seem to attract him, but still have to watch him like a hawk. Now I need to try and sand and re-stain the damage he caused, and hope this is the end of it. Thinking about hot sauce but afraid it will stain the wood. He has plenty of toys and things to chew, why wood? Oy! :unsure

Guest wmlcml6

Sometimes when a dog chews inappropriately, it's because he/she is bored. That's not always the case, but if you have a chewer, consider whether or not you are providing enough exercise and play time for your pet.

Edited by wmlcml6