Mr. Dickie, International Grey Of Mystery!

Guest erykmynn

Guest erykmynn

Meet our wonderful, silly dude, Dickie (or Mr. Dickie) who we recently adopted from the SPCA!

Dickie, on his couch, soon after coming home with us:

IMG_4423.JPG

He's a bit of a mystery really. We adopted him at just over a year old, and he spent most of his time cooped up before that. His previous owner was a trying to be a "rescue" person but got in over way over their heads. We don't know if he was born there or brought there, but he really needed a good family, that is for sure!

Because we don't know much, there are a lot of mysteries. Like who docked his tail and why? And then there is his hair. Look at that silly hair. It's not like anything I've seen. Several people have told us he might be a Galgo Espanol, but it's hard to be sure. If he is some sort of mix, he doesn't exhibit many non-sighthound traits.

Here is the most straightforward pics we have.... what do you think?

IMG_4730.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

He is a bit shy, but also very silly and friendly once he warms up to people. He doesn't mind people going to and fro, but loitering makes him nervous... He loves most other dogs no matter what. He tries to play with kitty, but she's not having it. You can sort of tell they like each other, but we're still in that adjustment phase. He is my first dog, but my fiance is has more experience. I am already amazed how adaptable, smart, and fun he is!

His frienemy: Miss Omi Meow

IMG_4406.JPG

Guest IrskasMom

He is a Sweetie , that's all I can see :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Just curious ,where does the Name Omi Meow comes from ??? ( To my Grandson , I am Omi )

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest lanielovesgreys

I think you can order DNA tests that'll tell you.

edited to add that I think they're like 45$.

I wish I had done this with our bridge boy.

Edited by lanielovesgreys

He is adorable! He sorta looks like a giant JRT to me :lol (My JRT is white with the black spots on her skin and has that wirey hair :lol)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

He is a cutie, looks like a lurcher, where is he from?

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest erykmynn
He is a cutie, looks like a lurcher, where is he from?

Bay Area, CA

Thinking he might get a DNA test and a nice winter coat for Christmas.

He is a Sweetie , that's all I can see :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Just curious ,where does the Name Omi Meow comes from ??? ( To my Grandson , I am Omi )

Dunno, her name was always Omi. Previous owner passed away. Maybe a japanese name, maybe just cute?

Being in CA it's a safe bet your cutie is a lurcher. :wub:

Just from the pictures (and being from an SPCA in CA) I would not guess Galgo. It's true there is no standard for the hunting dogs (which are the majority that end up in the US) but I have never seen one with that wide set of a head. Typically (but of course not always) they look like smaller, rougher coated greyhounds with more narrow heads, bigger ears, longer tail, and a less deep chest. Also, adoption groups tend to keep track of where their dogs end up (but I am sure there are exceptions).

Whatever he is...he is absolutely adorable!!! :beatheart

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Guest erykmynn
Being in CA it's a safe bet your cutie is a lurcher. :wub:

Just from the pictures (and being from an SPCA in CA) I would not guess Galgo. It's true there is no standard for the hunting dogs (which are the majority that end up in the US) but I have never seen one with that wide set of a head. Typically (but of course not always) they look like smaller, rougher coated greyhounds with more narrow heads, bigger ears, longer tail, and a less deep chest. Also, adoption groups tend to keep track of where their dogs end up (but I am sure there are exceptions).

Whatever he is...he is absolutely adorable!!! :beatheart

That is my guess as well, especially from his wider build. Whatever he is, I think he was born at his pre-shelter residence as he's fairly young. He was probably offspring of whatever dogs they were "rescuing" and not rescued himself.

Either way he's still very fast, for a couch potato! DNA results would be interesting. Very hard to guess what his cross might be. Any guesses

There are a lot of deerhound-greyhound mixes that I've seen show up in your area. His whiskering sort of looks like Takoda's did. Short and wirey around the face, and longish across the back, but as you go further down along the flanks, it becomes soft and short like a greyhound coat.

Whatever he ends up being, he's quite handsome. Welcome home, Mr Dickie!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest tricolorhounds

He probably originally came from the same place Bailey did... Bailey was taken in by GAC back in May. I was part of the GUR that brought her to San Diego.

103_2692.jpg

103_2717.jpg

103_2725.jpg

If I recall correctly, they came from a hoarding situation... most of them where taken in by Greyhound Friends for Life in Auburn CA...

No one knows exactly why their tails were docked.

Guest erykmynn
He probably originally came from the same place Bailey did... Bailey was taken in by GAC back in May. I was part of the GUR that brought her to San Diego.

If I recall correctly, they came from a hoarding situation... most of them where taken in by Greyhound Friends for Life in Auburn CA...

wow fascinating!! That is almost exactly the story we got, only East Bay SPCA only ended up with, they said, 4 dogs from that bunch and I'm not sure if they went through GFFL at that point, but He would have been well under a year and thus one of the pups at the time (april 2009)

their front page still tells the story:

On Wednesday, April 29, Shana received an email from a breeder in the Red Bluff area. She requested our help in placing approximately 35 sighthound mixes, including 23 puppies one year or younger, and 12 adults.

Because of their longer fur, these dogs were used to living outside.

http://greyhoundfriendsforlife.org/adopt.htm

and their is a great photo gallery, I will have to compare patterns later. weird they docked so many tails

http://picasaweb.google.com/gfflpix/LurchersMay09#

He's adorable! :wub: As is his frienemy! :lol Welcome home Mr. Dickie :confetti

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest erykmynn

How old is Bailey?

------------

Pretty sure this is our Mr. Dickie right here! http://picasaweb.google.com/gfflpix/Lurche...070833922480690

Nice to have some idea where he came from and see his family and friends! Hope they are all finding homes!

Edited by erykmynn

Guest tricolorhounds

How old is Bailey?

When she came in last May, they guessed she was about 8 months old.

When I cat tested her, she did not react like any of the sighthounds I've ever tested. The Greys and longdogs all check out the cat from the top... they either lunge (when they're not cat safe) or sniff him from above. Bailey on the other hand, saw the cat, slid in on her side and used her paws to get him to play with her...

Even though she was small, her head is much boxier than the greyhounds and if I had to guess, her body type was more like a German Shorthair Pointer/Weimaraner... very square and substantial.

Edited by tricolorhounds

Guest erykmynn

How old is Bailey?

So she would have been 13 months or so this October? That's how old they said Dickie is. Very similar coats on the two of them too!

or was it May 2008?

How old is Bailey?

When I cat tested her, she did not react like any of the sighthounds I've ever tested. The Greys and longdogs all check out the cat from the top... they either lunge (when they're not cat safe) or sniff him from above. Bailey on the other hand, saw the cat, slid in on her side and used her paws to get him to play with her...

Even though she was small, her head is much boxier than the greyhounds and if I had to guess, her body type was more like a German Shorthair Pointer/Weimaraner... very square and substantial.

That's so funny. Our SPCA had about 4 of these dogs, and said Dickie was the only one who they thought was cat-safe. He usually tries to sniff her, but sometimes he instead does the play-bow as if she's going to show him some game.

----------------------------------

Technical question: Is there any way to edit my initial post since we now know more about where Dickie came from and what type of sight-hound he is?

Edited by erykmynn