Thyroid Screening

Guest jerzyjen

Guest jerzyjen

My vet tells me he sends thyroid screens to Hemopet typically but when I mentioned MSU he said he was willing to do whichever I wanted. I went in there with MSU research, but now I'm looking here I see some recommendations for Hemopet.

This is all new (and GREEK) to me, so any advice or suggestions would be great. I want to make sure that I'm getting the most thorough tests results for my baby and make sure she doesnt end up on any unnecessary drugs (if that ends up being the case).

I think you'll find a split opinion; it's tough to go wrong with either. I trust MSU still has a "sighthound interpretation" available (it's an extra $2.50 or $5 or whatever for a veterinary endocrinologist to look over the numbers, and if they know it's a sighthound they can make an intelligent recommendation), and of course Dr. Dodds knows what she's doing as well.

The main thing is that someone with "eyes on" knows greyhound numbers, and that would be either MSU or Hemopet. Getting a number back from the usual veterinary labs could result in a misinterpretation.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

IMHO MSU is the most thorough (premium profile or whatever they're calling it now, with endocrinologist's interpretation). They test more parameters, use more up-to-date methods, do world-class research, and have an unmatched case database to work with.

I've heard Dr. Dodds offers a more personal touch.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

One important thing that the MSU profile includes is TSH. I wouldn't ever diagnose or treat a greyhound as hypothyroid without that measure.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Doubt you could go wrong with either one, but I prefer Dr Dodds

Same here. My vet recommended sending Carl's bloodwork to Dr. Dodds before I even asked her to. Also, her interpretation and consultations with the vet are at no extra cost.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jerzyjen

<!--quoteo(post=4317858:date=Nov 25 2009, 06:08 PM:name=cbudshome)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbudshome @ Nov 25 2009, 06:08 PM) 4317858[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doubt you could go wrong with either one, but I prefer Dr Dodds<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me, too.

Well... we went with Dr. Dodds after all (just seemed a bit easier since my vet was familiar with the procedures to get the blood to her) and finally got our results back. She sent back a note to my doc that the thyroid levels are much too low and recommended .3mg of soloxine or eqiuvalent :(

At least we know now. Is there anything I should expect or be looking out for?

Guest jerzyjen

Just a suggestion, I would stick to the Soloxine(brand name)

Any particular reason? I've got something from the vet called Thyro-tabs (thyroxine), but I'm sure he would be happy to give me a script for soloxine if i ask.

Any particular reason? I've got something from the vet called Thyro-tabs (thyroxine), but I'm sure he would be happy to give me a script for soloxine if i ask.

Thyroxine is the generic and there is a difference when talking about thyroid meds. Same thing with the human thyroid meds.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have to whole heartedly agree with Claudia. When we realized Carl was hypothyroid my vet started Carl out on a different medication. After 2 months of no real changes in his subtle symptoms I asked to switch to Soloxine, within a couple of months on the Soloxine I was seeing changes in his subtle symptoms, especially the most important one - his corneal rings were disappearing. I will never switch from Soloxine.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ishapespace

Will Dr. Dodds consult via e-mail? Anyone have her e-mail addy? We had Dax's full panel done. Not sure where our vet sent it, but I have all the results. Based on a lot of what I have read, his T4 and free T4 are low and his TSH is normal, but he is quite symptomatic. He is bald from the bottom of his neck, all on his belly, straight back to his butt. He has flakey skin. I can go on. Something's up with him and this just seems like the most likely thing. Our Vet says he is fine and wants to do the panel again at MSU. She won't run him on a trial run of thyroid meds, even though he is borderline. She blames his bad skin and excessive baldness on him being blue. I just don't think that's true. She is the vet, but he's my boy and something's not right.

Baldness and dry skin are pretty much greyhound traits.

How is the rest of his bloodwork? Any changes since you've had him? How long have you had him?

Guest KennelMom

IMHO MSU is the most thorough (premium profile or whatever they're calling it now, with endocrinologist's interpretation). They test more parameters, use more up-to-date methods, do world-class research, and have an unmatched case database to work with.

+1 I would only do thyroid panels through MSU.

eta: seen plenty of hairy blue dogs. We own one, in fact...though her butt goes bald and furry with the seasons.

Edited by KennelMom

She will consult via email and she usually gets back to you with in 36 hours. Her email address is:

hemopet at hotmail dot com

My vet only uses Jean Dodds lab for thyroid testing and I trust she and Jean implicitly. Good luck!

She blames his bad skin and excessive baldness on him being blue. I just don't think that's true

Oh my, all due respect to your vet, but she's nuts :lol

Misty was the softest Grey I've ever had, full of hair and never any dry skin. She had a sheen to her coat I've never seen on another GH.

I also know 2 other people with blues, and it's the same with their dogs

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless