Help

The Christmas tree went up this weekend and this is Streak's first Christmas here. I came into the room to find a Christmas ball ornament in pieces in the floor. It was one one of those hollow glass-like (but not really glass) ornaments. The pieces are not sharp enough to cut your fingers. The little thing on top where you hook on the hanger was still there. I looked at the pieces and it appears most of the ball is there. I looked in her mouth and she had tiny pieces of it on her teeth and gums. I wiped these off with a wet paper towel. I think she chomped it and it shattered and she spit it out.

I am worried sick. We are leaving town tomorrow and they are staying at the kennel. Should I give her some bread or anything? I don't know what to do. I am glad they are staying at the kennel because if there is an emergency she is just a mile from her regular vet. Where we are going does NOT have an abundance of vets and I don't know them anyway.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. I had to leave the house today so I put chairs all around the tree until she is used to it. This happened while I was out of the room for a few minutes. Thanks all!

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Guest BlackandBrindle

She should be fine. Just watch for signs of distress (panting, stretching, straining to poop, blood in poop) tonight and tell the kennel staff so they know.

Most likely though she'll be fine. Spud and Sadie once broke a pyrex pie plate and ingested some of it but were fine. :)

Guest 3greysinPA
Bread... is what comes to mind... but it sounds like it was spit out?

are her gums bleeding?

No blood at all in her mouth and I checked her feet as well. She's asleep in her bed right now.

As everyone else already said... Thinking that everything will be ok.. however some prayers that she is going to be just fine wouldnt hurt either... :hope:hope:hope

and hugs for you :grouphug:grouphug

Guest BoogieDown

Been there, done that. Vet's advice was to watch for signs of blood in the poop. So, I faithfully followed my muttley around, even in the dark, porting a flashlight, and inspected all poopage. There never was any blood; just lots of festive poop.

Make sure you tell your kennel staff so they can be on the lookout. And so they don't freak if her poop becomes... um.... *decorative*!!!!!!!

Couple pieces of bread couldn't hurt.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest 4dogscrazy

I read somewhere on here about giving them small REAL cotton balls coated in ... something I can't remember. The small pieces of glass gets stuck to the cotton and comes out the other end! No idea where I saw that, anyone else remember??

Guest KennelMom

Yikes! I hope she is OK. Definitely let the kennel know she might have eaten something...

Haven't had a Christmas tree in years....I enjoy my mom's when I visit. One day, we'll have a house big enough for a 'non dog' area and we'll put a tree up again. Until then, it's just way too dangerous and way too much temptation for a house full of houndies! (I can see Lucas now: Yay! Mom finally got us indoor plumbing! :rolleyes: )