Budesonide Is Expensive!

Xan

Yup. That's for sure! I'm setting up an order that's 100 for $54 (or something close to that - out of sight is out of my memory! :lol )

With shipping, $66 for 100.

CanadaDrugCenter.com

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Oh! It's a locally active corticosteroid, and I'd be using it for Happy's IBD. It helps to protect the lining of the GI tract, and has been helpful for several GT dogs. Less damaging than prednisone.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest zoolaine

Holy Crap that is expensive. I think it must have been a mistake. I pay $26 for 25 2mg pills for Sunny from a local pharmacy. They even have to compound it (not sure what the regular dosage is).

Guest jurygirl
I found a few years ago the cheapest way for us to get it was thru a Compounding Pharmacy. It was right around $90 for 100ct of 2mg.

Out of curiosity, is it enteric coated?

I am not sure it has been a few years ago. It was in a capsule form so I do not think so but not 100% sure.

I found a few years ago the cheapest way for us to get it was thru a Compounding Pharmacy. It was right around $90 for 100ct of 2mg.

Out of curiosity, is it enteric coated?

I am not sure it has been a few years ago. It was in a capsule form so I do not think so but not 100% sure.

Budesonide for human use (Entocort) is enteric-coated prill, meaning the capsule itself dissolves quickly, but the tiny bits and pieces stay intact until they hit the alkaline environment of the small intestine. Plus, there's an ethylcellulose coating on the prill to keep them from releasing simultaneously; the package insert notes that without the ethylcellulose coating, the plasma concentrations peak faster.

If a compounding pharmacist just takes 3 mg budesonide and sticks it in a capsule without a enteric coating or an ethylcellulose coating, the release of the compound may be substantially different than with name brands. How much this would effect the management of the disease with budesonide is a question several pay grades above mine.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest jurygirl

Xan- I might be wrong with the count I remember it was about $90 a month so that would be for 30 pills I will have to double check with DH tomorrow. I think the 100ct I was thinking of was for the Asprin we had compounded for her. It looks like Canada is pretty cheap now. I hope you can find it at a good deal it worked much better then Pred for her.

So, the price I found was about what most of you are paying, just I have to get it from Canada, apparently. Or, maybe I'll call around tomorrow to see if I can do comparably locally.

And, I'll check about it being enteric coated! Thanks, ahicks51!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

If any of you are interested, I did find it for $.56/3mg capsules, or $.64 with shipping, for 100 capsules, from CanadaDrugCenter.com. It looks like we could shave a little off each other's bills, too!

From their site:

You can now collect $25 for every friend or family member you refer to us who places an order. Your referred friend will also receive a $25 credit when they place their first order. With the CanadaDrugCenter.com Refer-A-Friend Program, everyone saves money! Simply enter the email addresses of the friends you would like to refer to us into the form below. We will email them a welcome letter to introduce them to our service. If they place an online order (using the same email address you provided) with us at CanadaDrugCenter.com we will automatically give them a $25 discount on their order and credit your account with $25 as well. It’s that simple. You refer a friend. They place an order. You both make $25!

PM me if you want me to refer you! :)

I'm going to check local compounding pharms today to see if I can get something for the 2 to 3 weeks it will take to get my order. :P

Also, I have a call in to find out of this form is enteric. So far, the customer service has been very good. But keep in mind this is coming from across the world (India), so it will take awhile to get here.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Tell Costco to keep it---way, way overpriced! I got mine from a local compounding phar. 60 3mg capsules was something like $80. Do not buy from Canada--call around to your local vet compounding pharms.

I'm curious why you say not to buy from Canada. I deal with the compounding pharmacy and Canada for many drugs with the blessing of several MD's

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I've checked with our ONE local compounding pharm, and they don't have generic, so it would be over $280 for 30 Entocort. Can't do that.

I think it's safe, mostly, to buy from the Canadian pharms. I'm speaking with the voice of NO experience, here! :lol My vet's office didn't bat an eye when I asked them to fax a prescription there.

From my other thread:

Yikes on the budesonide $!

Our vet phoned a rx into a compounding pharmacy in AZ, where it costs about $1/pill or so for the 2mg pills. We get 60 at a time.n (They also send a little free gift with each order -- usually something well-sized for a Pomeranian!)

Roadrunner Pharmacy, 711 E. Carefree Hwy, Suite 140, Phoenix, AZ 85085

toll-free: 877-518-4589

local: 623-434-1180

Shipping is free and they'll overnight the first order!

I called, and they won't give me a price over the phone, so I'm having the vet's office call.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest zoolaine
But keep in mind this is coming from across the world (India), so it will take awhile to get here.

:eek :eek :eek :eek I would never get meds from India or China for that matter. You never know what you will get. I'll call the pharmacy I get mine from right now.......

Guest zoolaine

OK from the pharmacy I use for Sunny: $79 for 40 caps 3 mg - he said it was not enteric coated but they add a powder to slow the dissolving. I think he said it usually dissolves in about 20 minutes in the stomach and with the powder it takes about 30-40 minutes. If you are interested I can send you their phone number. We are just over in Yakima, so priority mail should only take a day, two at the most. And I can even go pick it up and mail it to you if needed.

You can also ask your vet about alternating days between Entocort and Prednisone. My vet does that when people can't afford to give Entocort every day and most dogs do well. Chances are also good that your dog, after a couple of weeks of daily meds can be tapered back to every other day.

Ask your vet if they have had any donated back from dogs that have passed away. That stuff is like gold at my vet's and they are very good at making sure it goes to good use. A member of GT hooked Joplin and I up with a good supply. It lasted him almost to the end.

Even when I was paying full retail (OUCH!), it was worth it for how well and quickly it helped his symptoms and its almost complete lack of side effects. At the very end, he was on both Entocort and Prednisone daily, and still didn't have much in the way of steroid-related side effects.

Lynn

Ah, thanks Lynn. My vet, unfortunately, wasn't acquainted with budesonide, so I'm guessing they don't have any hanging around. Especially after I've had them call three pharmacies with prescriptions! They must be SO tired of me! :lol

It's so good to know that she might actually be able to get OFF the drugs, or at least the corticosteroids, not to mention that the side effects should be (crossing fingers) minimal!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Xan, what has transpired that the vet said she might get off the corticosteroids? She musty be doing really well!

I tried to do that too with my GI doc but couldn't, so I'm taking one 3 mg Entocort EC every other day. No pred in between though. He said I could play with it as long as I didn't stop it cold turkey after taking it a long time. Some people can take one pill every 5 days and that's enough to keep the gut good! :gmark Everyone's different!

Oh, Marcia, the doc didn't say anything about being able to go off the drugs. I've just been reading that some of our GT family have been able to, once they're more stable. Off or way down, anyway.

Right now, I'm not convinced she's going to make it at all, however. Bad day for Happy.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg