Okay Seizure Dog Owners, Need Your Help!

I just got off the phone with my brother, it sounds like Argo just had a seizure. :( He usually lets them out around 1:00pm for a potty break but today he let them out around 3:00pm. He said he let them out and Argo stayed on the porch but Icarus went down to do his business. Argo started drooling, fell to the porch and began seizing. He said that it lasted about 45 seconds. When it was over, Argo got back up began panting, got off the porch and did his business.

He's back inside now, still panting but otherwise acting okay. He's never seized before that we've seen. This is so strange! The boys are in separate rooms in case it happens again. Where do we go from here experienced folks? The poor boy is already blind. Now seizures??! :cry1

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.

It would be a good idea for you to do two searches on this forum - one on epilepsy and one on seizures. You'll be amazed at the number of threads on this. :o

That was a good question about the cause of blindness. It could be connected.

Guest Energy11

Best to see the vet, get a full blood panel done, which will also check for thyroid problems, and go from there. Curfew had a "stroke/seizure" ... 14 months ago, and two smaller seizure-type activities back in Feb. Without an MRI, we are only guessing.

Anyway, your vet might want to put your grey on Phenobarbital for seizure control. The basics are, they need to try to find the cause. If they can't, at least you can try for prevention. Another thing to have on hand, and I feel it is VERY important, is injectable Valium. You draw up 10 ccs into a syringe, take the needle off, and if the dog is seizing, and it is prolonged, you can use the Valium rectally, to stop the seizure. I have mine draw up, on top of the frige at all times, with KY for lubrication.

This all sound like a lot of info, but when you get him vetted, all good to ask for.

Bloodwork is the first step, and then, go from there.

Good Luck, lots of love and prayers to you!

In terms of what to do in the near future:

I won't hurt to take him to the vet to make sure there is nothing treatable going on that could be causing the seizure. There are a host of possibilities. The web sites below will help you decide what may need to be checked.

There is every reason to hope this is a one time incident. However, it would be a good idea to begin a log. You'll want to note the date and time of day of the seizure, it's length and a brief description, a list of anything unusual that has happened in the last 24-28 hours.

With his history of the bacterial infection before birth, there may be some brain damage from infection, hydrocephalus, etc. That might be worth exploring if he does begin to have seizures. I don't know his age (sorry). How old is he?

Here are some wonderful web sites with information about seizures:

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com

Try not to panic. Seizures are no fun but most of the time they are eminently manageable on meds that are reasonably priced.

The things that should probably trigger an immediate trip to the vet would be 1) seizures that don't stop or that occur one after another after another (emergency situation, get to vet ASAP) 2) seizures that occur more than once a month (that is the usual point at which meds are prescribed).

As Marcia indicated, there is a lot of seizure experience here and I am sure others will chime in.

--Lucy

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Most vets won't prescribe medication unless a pup is seizing more than 1 or 2 times a month. My vet however was willing to work with us. I'd have him medically checked out and then go from there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I meant to put "go to the vet" in my post but I forgot to add it; sorry! I hope the threads will help you.

My vet in CT said to put our seizure boy on pheno if he had a second seizure within 30 days from the first one. He did and he got meds after much blood work that we did the day after his first seizure. It all came back normal.

His beingn blind from birth adds a whole new dimension. I too was wondering how old he is.

I have a monthly chart I created to keep track of Cullen's seizures and what meds, supplements, and even foods he was on. It's a Word file. If you want it I'll gladly email it you privately.

Marcia

The biggest thing to remember is that most dogs live quite normal lives with seizures. Mostly, they are called idiopathic seizures, which is just a big word to mean they can't figure out what the cause is. With your guy, I might suspect that there IS a cause, due to his past history. This would likely not be diagnosed without an MRI however, so you may want to opt for a wait-and-see treatment anyway due to the cost (and the fact that they need to be sedated to do the scan).

Keep a log, as suggested above - date, time, length of seizure, what happens during the seizure, any pertinent stressors in the day, keep a food/treat log. Most vets won't put dogs on Pheno and Potassium Bromide (KBr) until they are having more than one seizure a month, or clusters of seizures (several in a day or two). Even after starting medication, it can take two to three weeks to begin having an effect, and some more time to fine tune the dosage.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to everyone's comments. Thank you for all of your suggestions. Just one quick question though, why is his blindness significant? I don't mean that in a sarcastic way at all, I just don't know.

One reason for seizures is a brain tumor, which can also cause blindness. Ergo, if the blindness were not from a birth condition, then there would be the immediate suspicion that there could be a tumor responsible for the seizures.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Or if his blindness is genetic or even from a physical abnormality, it could indicate a propensity for other neurologic problems. I think you said he had problems in utero, which could definitely have had an impact on the development of his brain, and that *could* lead to seizures.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I just got my holiday issue of Animal Wellness and there is an interesting article in it with a greyhound, Spencer, who has seizures (page 58-60). I am happy to fax the article to you or mail it. The article suggests acupressure to help mitigate the severity and duration of the seizures and the use of drugs. According to Chinese medicine, most seizure disorders are related to an invasion of Wind that affects the Liver organ system. The article goes on how to do acupressure at home on your canine. PM ime f you want me to send it to you. I hope for the best!

Edited by brandimom

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg