Help Needed With Post Surgical Bleeding

Guest mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

Does anyone have any information on this and Amicar? We have a call in to OSU, but could use info now if it takes some time for them to get back to us. Our vet does not think plasma is needed at this point and wants to give Pred, but I asked him to hold off.

Could use info on future care for this guy too. I am assuming NSAID use would be a no-no.

ANY info would be appreciated!

Guest boondog

If it's urgent call OSU at 614-292-3551 and tell them you need to talk to someone with the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. It could be Cristina or Liliana if Dr. Couto is not immediately available.

Guest mcsheltie
If it's urgent call OSU at 614-292-3551 and tell them you need to talk to someone with the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. It could be Cristina or Liliana if Dr. Couto is not immediately available.

Thanks!

Guest mcsheltie
Amicar is aminocaproic acid, and is used to manage bleeding disorders, so I suppose it could be used for post-op bleeding. What do you need to know precisely? I'm a little confused by your query.

Sorry, hard to type and talk on the phone at the same time! I would take any information on this disorder. Questions I have right now are:

Does Amicar work post-op? Are there other treatments post-op besides plasma?

Our vet wants to give Pred. Is this okay?

Would like info on future care for him. Like I said, I assume NSAIDS shouldn't be given. Any other drugs this dog should not have? What does the adopter need to know?

I know Dr Couto and his colleages have a paper on this. Found it here:

http://www.tripawds.com/wp-content/blogs.d...eedinggreys.pdf

It's way above my head but this paper might help your vet deal with post surgical bleeding if he can't reach OSU quickly.

I'm guessing Amicar is the key here. We're all keeping our fingers crossed that it stops soon.

Guest 3greysinPA
Just got home. Walgreens near the clinic had Amicar. It looks like they have it under control. It looks horrible!

So, Is the bleeding stopping?

Would not give NSAID.... unless Dr.. Couto says to do so.

Julie, I'm sorry I missed this. Glad to see it is under control. That is scary.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest mcsheltie

It doesn't look like it has gotten any worse, so I think so. This is a new vet who volunteered his services to help the foster dogs. He's been fantastic. I hope he isn't regretting it!

I was wondering about NSAID use in the future. I had a platelet problem a few years ago and NSAIDs were off limits. I've sent a list of my question to OSU. I'll post the answers in case someone else would like to see them.

So glad you were able to lay your hands on the Amicar - Drake had it after his last surgery at OSU and I think it helped a great deal.

Fingers crossed for a full and quick recovery!

Guest 3greysinPA

It doesn't look like it has gotten any worse, so I think so. This is a new vet who volunteered his services to help the foster dogs. He's been fantastic. I hope he isn't regretting it!

I was wondering about NSAID use in the future. I had a platelet problem a few years ago and NSAIDs were off limits. I've sent a list of my question to OSU. I'll post the answers in case someone else would like to see them.

Sounds like good news....

The only reason i mentioned the NSAIDS is that it is not recommended with Bleeding issues... it can make it worse... kind of like Aspirin... BUT I am NOT a Vet tech.... I work in the human world.... and I dont claim to know anything about vet med.... just wanted to mention that as a caution.....

but i am curious to know what OSU says...

and my fingers are crossed that things keep getting better.... hugs to you too.