Fortiflora

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

hero has been having problems with his gi tract. his poops have varied in softness and he lost weight. 3 weeks ago, he was 64lbs. i upped his food to 4.5 cups a day ( natural balance sweet potato and venison). he now weighs a plump and healthy 70.4 lbs. my vet noticed a lot of yeast in his poo, much more than she would normally expect to see. she gave me a months worth of fortiflora to increase the good bacteria in there. anybody ever use that? i also have prozyme. would that help, or is it just a digestive enzyme?

I've used Fortiflora . . . can't really say how much difference it has made when I did. I tend to give half a packet per day, a whole packet seems to actually cause gas, though this would presumably be a passing thing (heh, no pun intended). I haven't had the yeast issue though, that I know of. I do give digestive enzymes with every meal -- I can't really say if it makes a difference but I've bought the argument that they're good for the dog, and that kibble doesn't contain the natural enzymes raw does. I'm all for anything that will help her get maximum nutrition out of her food.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

My vet recommended FortiFlora when we first adopted Windy...uh...Wendy. Works like a charm! I buy it from Entirely Pets a bit cheaper than from the vet.

http://www.entirelypets.com/fortiflora.html

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I tried this with both my pups on different occasions and it seemed to make the runs worse. Not sure what was going on, but a change in food cleared that up. Fenway gets an exzyme/probiotic daily (when I remember).

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest FrostyBottoms

I have used it before and it worked and am using it currently because F&V got the runs after getting their shots a few weeks ago. It works for us!

The vet gave us a 30 day sample for one of our dogs, a couple of years ago. Can't remember who or why, or how it worked. I don't remember that it caused any problems, though.

Hope that helped! :lol

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Guest KiKi_Girl

I used it after KiKi had a bout with stress colitis, can't say that it did anything but I don't think it can hurt trying. I can say that KiKi would eat her food with it sprinkled on and she is SUPER picky about food so I give it a + just for that.

Guest EmbersDad

i gave him a packet tonite with his dinner. mixed it with a wee bit of warm water and stirred it into his food. he made it disappear and so far, no toots... :lol

It didn't work for my guys. The problem with testing stuff like this is that loose stools often firm up spontaneously without treatment, so you never know if it was the additive or if the problem had just run its course.

Some of my guys are loose now, and I'm trying to decide what to do, too.

Guest VanillaBean

I use it on my IG who is on antibiotic pulse therapy. I give it to hime when he is not on the antibiotics. Helps restore his normal flora that the antibitics killed. He does very well on it. Get it on ebay the cheapest.

Guest EmbersDad

his poo seems to be improving. very minimal gas. the output is now very similar to althea's in texture and quantity.....i cant believe im saying that, lol. the vet said i should see improvement within a couple days if it is working, so i guess it is. yaay.

Oh good! Glad it's working :yay

I'm only just seeing this thread, Tom, but I'd like to add another vote for Fortiflora. I used it for the first time last winter when both pups had bad diarrhea over a protracted period of time. Works like a charm for us. Now I keep it in the house and if one of the dogs has pudding poo for more than one day, I just add some to their meal for a couple of days and they're back to normal. I also like to keep some on hand in case they ever need to take antibiotics, since the latter always wreak havoc with their intestines, wiping out all the bacteria indiscriminately.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.