Help! Questions About Bone Cancer In Greys.

Guest dfriedri

Guest dfriedri

Star had a vet appt today to check if the osteo has spread. Everything looks good for amp except two small bumps on the end of her ribs. They came back looking suspicious on the xray so we have sent them to OSU to get their opinion. Hopefully it is nothing but if it is maybe it is so small the chemo can get it or we can remove it as well as the leg.

Amp is tentatively set for Tuesday but may try to get her in sooner.

Very nervous about taking care of her after the amp. She already does everything on 3 legs including get up and down but she does use the leg for stairs. I don't have any at my house but my mom does and it makes me worry about her. Just have to see what happens I guess.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star had a vet appt today to check if the osteo has spread. Everything looks good for amp except two small bumps on the end of her ribs. They came back looking suspicious on the xray so we have sent them to OSU to get their opinion. Hopefully it is nothing but if it is maybe it is so small the chemo can get it or we can remove it as well as the leg.

Amp is tentatively set for Tuesday but may try to get her in sooner.

Very nervous about taking care of her after the amp. She already does everything on 3 legs including get up and down but she does use the leg for stairs. I don't have any at my house but my mom does and it makes me worry about her. Just have to see what happens I guess.

It sounds like you are going to do the amputation in Iowa. If you are coming to OSU, please email or call me and I will help you out with logistics, emotional support, etc.

Jane

finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

614-523-0754

They do amazingly well on 3 legs. You can purchase or make a sling to help her on stairs if necessary for the first few days.

Edited by joejoesmom

Does it matter how much or what kind of racer they are? Silly question maybe but I know she never won and didn't race long. But she has the tattoos in her ears and came from racing parents.

I would haveyour vet, or you conuslt with OSU. Dr Couto and his team at the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program are, in my opinion, THE people to talk to about cancer in greyhounds.

Amputation is a very personal decision, and one that is very difficult. I'm asked of ten what I would do, and the answer will be different for each of my hounds. I do know that in a young and otherwise healthy greyhound I would be likely to do it. Amputation withouut chemo will only give you time that is pain free once the healing from the surgery is complete. Chemo can give you time.

Chemo is available free from OSU to any retired racing greyhound. If you do a search, you will see that there are a few on the board here either finished, or undergoing treatment.

You'll find the link to contact OSU at the bottom of my siggy. If you want info about OSU and the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program, click on the Hope for Hounds link above my siggy.

No, it doesn't matter.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Dani is going to have the surgery in Iowa with her local vet. They will follow OSU protocol.

Dani- as I mentioned to you via text- it's important to keep her from running around and if you can avoid the steps at your moms this weekend- that would be good!

The fear being the leg fracturing as there is no er vet and you wouldn't want them doing the amp anyway.

I hope Star can remain comfortable throughout the weekend.

As far as after, like I said, at first you will probably ask yourself why the he77 you did it, I think we all did. 2.5 weeks after (and it was a long 2.5 weeks) I knew exactly why I did it!

We are all here for you and please call me anytime.

R

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project