Nail Clipping

Ok.. so I've had Roscoe for a bit over a year now and he's had his nails clipped once (the vet did it while he was getting his dental in Feb). Luckily his nails grow really slow and we walk a lot on pavement so that helps to keep them from getting too long.

Here's my problem. He needs them clipped now. I really want to learn to do it on my own so I dont have to spend the money to get it done, but.. all but 2 of his nails are too dark to see the quik and I am scared to death to do it! I just cant.. I'm petrified i will clip too short and I dont want to hurt him..

Any suggestions?

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest cgl0909

Our dogs do better dremeling their nails or with a device like a PediPaw than they do with clippers. Although it costs a little more than a pair of clippers it is easier to do safely for us since most of our dogs nails are black and the quick is difficult to see. The dogs also like it better without the clippers. Just be careful not to spend to long on each nail if you are dremeling which can be painful if too much heat is built up.

Guest sja5032

Use the lighter nails to judge how much to cut, usually the quik grows at the same rate in both inside toes and both out side toes (i.e. sometime inside and outside grow different from each other. Also instead of taking one big chunk, do small slivers if you are close to the quik you may start to see pink and you dog will probably start to feel discomfort from the pressure. Also, its not the end of the world if you quik a dog, they usually forget very quickly and are forgiving just have quik stop on hand just in case.

Guest Energy11

I have three with black nails. Just "tip" them, for now. Take the ends off, and, most likely, you will not hit the quik. Not only that, the quiks will grow back, the more they are trimmed. I trim weekly, with the exception of Goldie, who attacks, when nails are done. We try to keep her occupied with peanut butter, while I clip.

I'd just go ahead and do that, ... do the tips. It is always a good idea to keep QuikStop on hand, just in case you do cut the quiks. If you do, accidentally cut the quiks, they will bleed a lot, but don't worry, it is okay. Just hold pressure on the nail, and apply the QuikStop, or, if you don't have that, flour or cornstarch, until they stop bleeding.

Good Luck! It is really not too hard. I wish I had a hard surface to walk mine on ... surely would help with Goldie!

Edited by Energy11

Guest jettcricket

You could try using a dremel. I bought a battery operated one at Sears and love it. It's a Black and Decker and very lightweight and easy to hold. Don't know if he will hold still for it - some pups don't like the sound and the vibrating noise from the dremel, but I prefer it over cutting. Duffy is a good little boy, but Dave...oh boy. I have to muzzle him and have someone hold him. He's the worlds biggest baby!!! But I do get it done and I do my boys once every two weeks. Their nails are nice and short. :)

Edited by jettcricket

3 options:

1. Go to the vet/groomer one more time and get them to show you how they do it. Having a lesson might give you a bit more confidence. :)

2. If using clippers, try for a thin slice each clip. When you get close to the quick on a dark nail, it'll show up as a teensy black dot like a pencil point in the middle (roughly) of the surface you're clipping -- in the cross section of the nail.

3. Dremel or file. You could clip off the tip of the nail at a 45 degree angle to the ground, then use a good nail file or small wood rasp (better for dark nails) until you start to see the quick. Takes a little while but most dogs will put up with the file.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I also recommend a dremel, PediPaw, whatever they are called, etc. I always took my hounds in for nail trim as I was also kinda unsure about doing it myself. When I did try, the dogs would jerk their paw and walk away from me! :lol

Now that they are older and in an attempt to reduce the number of trips in/out of the vehicle -- plus save some $$ -- I purchased a Peticure (I think that's what it's called) and while admittedly the first few sessions were a bit comical, I finally got the hang of it!

My hounds will tolerate it for awhile provided I have the treat cup right next to me and lavish them with praise and treats. My hounds are more receptive when sitting down in their beds, however, I can't always do all four paws at one time.

Dremmeling the nails results in a much smoother nail - no rough, split nails like with a trim.

Look, if I can do it - you can do it! Good luck! :)

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I only use a dremel, cutting with the guillotine or scissor type trimmer is just terrifying to me. The hounds sleep thru the dremeling and I have never quicked one that way :) When you get near the quick while dremeling the center of the nail becomes almost waxy looking (that is how I think of it anyways) and you know you have gone far enough :)

Guest Energy11
*cringe*

Thanks guys.. i think im going to clip off a little bit at a time.. i'll do it tonight.

Really, it isn't that bad. I must say, I did it a lot when I worked the vet, but, with the exception of Goldie, it is fine. I'd give him a treat once you are done, so he associates the trimming with a GOOD thing. Good Luck! You'll be great! :-)))

I get scared, too, and take too little off with clippers. That's one reason I dremel instead. It's easier for me, and there are no sharp corners left, and less chance of hurting the dog.

It's no fun. I really dislike doing it - I've never hit the quick, but I have gotten used to the signs the dogs give me when I'm getting too close for comfort (and also when they're bluffing and just being fussy). You will too!

And just in case, keep some styptic powder handy. But don't worry too much. I've been cutting their nails for nearly 3 years and I've never needed to use it. :)

Also, if you're really nervous, they sell clippers that have alert lights on them - they turn red if you're too close, and green if you're well clear of the quick.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest jettcricket
I only use a dremel, cutting with the guillotine or scissor type trimmer is just terrifying to me. The hounds sleep thru the dremeling and I have never quicked one that way :) When you get near the quick while dremeling the center of the nail becomes almost waxy looking (that is how I think of it anyways) and you know you have gone far enough :)

Whoa...not to change the subject, but that's one scary siggy!!!!!! :yikes:lol

Sorry don't mean to hijack either -- but, I agree. That is an AWESOME siggy. One of Satan's hounds perhaps? :lol:lol:lol

You know, I have cut the nails of every animal I have ever had - dogs, cats, birds as well as other peoples, and yet I am ashamed to say I cannot do my own greyhounds. What a wimp I am. Jill will tolerate the dreml but Joshy will not come back into the room I "attacked" him in for days :P having said that. I have to admit that on accasion I have cut a nail or two using the thin slice method and it does work.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Liz_in_PA

So I got up the nerve to try to clip Dash's nails last night. Very first nail (I was half way through), he screamed and bit my hand. He wasn't bleeding and neither was I. We jointly decided that I should stop. No grudges held.

Like Susan ^^^ said, I've done many cats, birds (wretched little cockateils would bite while I was doing it and scream), husbands and children. I'm not so sure I want to do dogs. ever.

Maybe I'll just patronize my local small businesses...

I made a feeble attempt to clip Roscoe's nails tonight. I was able to shave a little bit off the ends. There were 2 times where as i was in mid-clip, he cried out.. but i really dont think i was anywhere near the quik.

Ugh. We both had a cookie after that one.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Sorry don't mean to hijack either -- but, I agree. That is an AWESOME siggy. One of Satan's hounds perhaps? :lol:lol:lol

hahahaha!!! That is my sweetheart Stepper yawning ;) the only thing he kills is flies :rotfl

We jointly decided that I should stop. No grudges held.

Aw, hugs for both of you.

There are a couple good tricks for using clippers. One is, position the blades and then SNAP! cut FAST, so you don't squeeeeeeeeeeeeze the quick. Another is, muzzle first time around, or have someone hold dog's head and administer ear rubs, peanutbutter, etc.

I prefer the dremel because it doesn't matter if pup wriggles, pulls away, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sweetpea

I so know what you're going thru, which is why $8 is well worth my piece of mind.

$8 once a month, that's all it costs for the groomer chicks at Petco to clip Sweetpea's nails.

They love her, they know her by name, and if they quick her, they're the bad guys.

Sweetpea's got those multi-colored nails, same as my ancient Ridgeback Brodie did.

I decided I was going to muscle through and just clip his nails (he didn't have much

feeling in his hind legs at the time, so I felt pretty brave). I cut one too short, it started

bleeding, the infinitessimal bit of styptic that came with the clippers did nothing.

I had to barricade him in the kitchen while I did a quick search online for a substitute

for styptic, and it bled the whole time.

That was all it took for me, Petco here we come.

By the way, cornstarch is a good substitute for styptic, and you have to pack it in the nail to get it to work.

Good luck,

Buzzy

(no, I'm knot getting a kickback from Petco! :gmark )

Guest D_MansMommy

I dremel. Really, it's easy. Just check the nail and if you see the blackish-color quick stop. Most of Donovan's nails are black and I can do them easily. When I first adopted him I tried clippers and quicked him by accident. He screamed and bled :( That's when I went to the dremel.

• 2 years later...
Guest RHDonna

I tried it and the second nail I went too far. Any suggestions on how to stop the bleeding with anything I may have in the house? Going back to the professionals, this obviously wasn't my calling.