Nail Clipping

Cornstarch or flour, any kind of powder. Pack some in the tip of the nail and hold it for at least 20 seconds. You want the blood to clot.

If it bleeds heavily for more than five minutes, you may need a vet, but that's rare.

The nail may start to bleed again if your dog scrapes the tip on the concrete.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Stop the bleeding by sticking the nail into a bar of soap.

I only ever used the cutter for one dog, and that was our PointerX, Bandit...she stood perfectly still...but loved to eat the little clippings from the floor.

:eek

I've always used a mini dremel on the Dobes, GSD and the Greyhounds. It's battery powered and light weight.

The key is to keep the battery well charged, and don't let the sandpaper get worn down.

Nixon starts the GSOD as soon as I approach him with it, and I've never ever hit the quick.

He just likes to hear himself scream.

:lol

Once I start trimming, he usually shuts up and is very good about it.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest RHDonna

Bar of ivory soap did the trick. Thanks! Maybe we will try the dremel route. Donna will lay still for about anything (only yelled a little when I hit the quick but is still laying in the exact same spot as when I started).

Dremel. Dremel. Dremel! wink.gif Anyone I have ever talked to who started out clipping and then tried dremeling, never wants to go back to clipping. It's usually so much easier on the dog.....I know it's been a lot easier on me! Quicker too. You can check out www.doberdawn.com and then click on the left hand side where it says How To Dremel Dog Nails for a step-by-step process of how to do it. I use a cordless Dremel, but others use a corded one.

Oh, and I usually try to give treats after each foot.....most of the dogs will just lay there until I tell them we're done.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I used the Pedicure machine, although just the other day I tried an actual dremel. I'd say the Pedicure would be something to start with and then work up to a dremel.

I HATE using clippers. I started using grinding tools after Kasey broke a nail and it never grew back right, and I could never clip it down again. Kasey has all natural nails, and Ryder's are ALL dark. I too am very fearful of clipping.

If you do clip, start with taking off a bit at a time, cause taking of a whack load, especially if their nails aren't trimmed often, the quik will likely be a little farther out than usual. The more you trim, the more the quik will "retract" and therefore with normal trimming you can eventually get shorter nails. Keep a bit of corn starch within reach if you do get the quik, apply pressure with the corn starch to the blood and wait for it to stop.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015