Bandaging A Damaged Ear

kudzu

My sweet old guy, Luke, had an unfortunate accident involving another Grey's teeth. Meaning, someone bit his ear & in the process a large section of skin was removed. Though they could clean up & stitch the edge of the ear, there is nothing to be done for the large open wound where the skin is missing. It is simply to big. Vet said we just have to let it go through granulation.

He is on Clavamox & will continue the meloxicam he was already on for arthritis. They gave me silvadene cream to apply twice a day. He came from the e-vet with a bandage from his forehead down his neck with just his uninjured ear exposed. That was fine as long as he was sleeping. As soon as he got up & started moving this morning the bandage slid down to be a turtleneck. Removed it & rebandaged it but my bandaging left my ol' dude hurting & crying. Quickly took it off & redid it. That one had slid into turtleneck position by the time I got to class this morning. Bought some supplies on the way home & tried it with a stretch knit designed to hold bandages in place on elbows & knees. Tried it twice. Didn't work.

So now he is unbandaged but the vet has recommended bandaged to keep the tissue from drying out. Plus he is currently sleeping with that unbandaged ear resting on the comforter. Doesn't seem particularly good for an ear with so much exposed flesh. We have a follow up appointment tomorrow at his regular vets. I have little confidence they will be able to bandage it well & was reluctant to go back to the e-vets tonight to pay $100 for rebandaging that won't last.

Anyone have any bandaging suggestions? How in the world do people keep snoods on their dogs?

Also, would manuka honey be something good to try? Have not tried it but would like to get this wound healed ASAP.

TIA,

Laura

What I've used in the past was a piece of stocking or nylons - cut at both ends. I'm not sure that will work in your case though. Can the damaged ear be covered? If so, you can cut a hole for the good ear and use it as an 'anchor'.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Your regular vet should be able to show you how to do that.

Dogs of all breeds injury their ears! I have seen it done in the manner you describe--basically the injured ear is sort of wrapped down flush with the head. I guess you need the right mix of gauze, tape, vet wrap, whatever!

Poor guy! I hope you have a good visit with the doctor and your boy feels well soon.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

One step up (in terms of coarseness) from stockings are the mesh bags like the sort that onions come in. They make a surgical-grade mesh; I'm not sure if they make any that you can buy by the foot for something the size of a greyhound head and neck, but it might be an option.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I was just going to echo what others have said. Bandage the ear to the head. They end up looking like head wound victims, but it's almost the only way.

In the past I've used the kind of mesh used for burn victims and stuff. If you have a medical supply store nearby they'd defnitely have it. Cut a hole for the good ear - that will help keep it in place. At first you might want to do vetwrap (again leaving the good ear out) to keep the ear fully covered and keep medicine on it. As it heals and needs air the surgical mesh will be good.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Greytluv

Here's my Doni Rae when she was attacked by my foster. The vet folded her ear on top of her head and wrapped her head. She was also on tranquilizers so she wouldn't shake her head and damage her ear more.

You can kinda see where the ear is folder over. On the right side.

:kiss2

NewMexico060.jpg

Edited by Greytluv

Antibiotic bandaids actually stay on ear wounds. They hold to dog skin better than regular bandaids. This is a tip from Suzanne Stack, DVM, that goes back many years. Unfortunately, I needed to take her advice for a bad ear tip bite once, but the thing did indeed stay on! If it's too big a wound, back to the big coverings.

I just can't ever tell anyone how much I like the purple packaged paper tape. I get it at walmart. I found it when we were trying to save Jack-foos leg. You can tape right on the hair and it does not pull the hair when we take it off. I just cut Max's ear when I groomed him...** :jaw:weep *I mean I really CUT him** grabbed the tape and when it was done just took it off. That is a Yorkie ear.

tape

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Try spraying some EMT on it, it is great for healing quickly and also works to protect the skin, I use it on every wound and am totally amazed at how quickly it helps heal.

Guest greybookends

Sheana and the gang recently got a cat in the back yard and in the melee Sheana's ear got injured enough to require surgery. This is what the vet did to keep her from shaking her head and tearing the stitches.

Picture1116.jpg

I think maybe a sock with the toe cut out might work or maybe a bandanna tied to her head like a babushka.

Guest Greytluv
Sheana and the gang recently got a cat in the back yard and in the melee Sheana's ear got injured enough to require surgery. This is what the vet did to keep her from shaking her head and tearing the stitches.

Picture1116.jpg

I think maybe a sock with the toe cut out might work or maybe a bandanna tied to her head like a babushka.

:kiss2

Guest greytbookert

When Annie's ear got degloved, we used burn bandages (we got them at CVS) for a couple of days to keep in the moisture, then wrapped gauze around that, then vet wrap, then we used a sleeve of a long sleeved t shirt. We found the tubular gauze from the vet to be too stretchy and it would fall off. After the wound starts to granulate, we let the air get at at but as you know, ear wounds will stay "wet" for awhile. The healing process is long and sometimes frustrating, but the wound will heal with time.

Good luck!

Here are some pics

our contraption

100_2392.jpg

100_2382.jpg

vs. vet contraption.

100_2373.jpg

Thanks so much for the additional suggestions. Did manage to get something, the elastic knit tubing type bandage covering, to stay on last night but it involved Elastikon which is just too sticky for longterm use especially with twice daily changes. So will try the paper tape. Tried XL tube sock but it was too narrow. Stockings didn't work. Will see if I have a long sleeve shirt or perhaps the leg from some longjohns that will work.

The burn bandages sounds interesting. I've yet to find something that works for actually covering the ear itself without sticking to it. Since we are supposed to be applying cream twice a day but wanting granulation, it doesn't make sense to keep pulling things off if they stick & take bits of flesh with them.

Why is it that vets want to charge you for bandaging that refuses to stay on? I'm just askin'.

I just remembered -- an ER vet once did an ear repair with surgical super glue. Worked great. He didn't want to put the dog to sleep for stitches because the boy had just eaten.

Re: the rebandaging charge. The may charge for this but it doesn't seem right, especially if the thing just slipped off and the dog wasn't bothering it. The $30 charge sure annoyed us when it happened to us about 15 years ago. Don't know what they charge nowadays for that!

Plain old gauze wrapped around the head usually works. Maybe vet wrap could work too. Vet wrap might keep it all on.

Guest Shermanator

Patton was attacked with damage to his ear. We were fortunate to be able to stitch them; however, the evet left them open until our reg vet could see him.

For reference - here is where the damage was:

DSCF1775-1.jpg

DSCF1774.jpg

And the evet's bandaging (poor P was drugged out of his mind. The bandaging @ his chest was for another bite...)

HomeFromVet.jpg