Help, Gypsy Made A Kill

We just went to let the kids in and Gypsy was standing at the door will blood dripping from her jaws. I immediately freaked and called for DH. DH went out to assess the situation and Logan walked up very slow, I noticed a little bit of froth coming from his mouth and DH wiped it away, cleaned his feet and let him in. Gypsy was totally fine, very proud of herself and came right in and layed on her bed. In the meantime, we went outside to find the carcass so we would know what we were dealing with. The scene on the patio looked like something from Friday the 13th....blood everywhere. We found many trails of blood but could not find a critter, will look more in the morning.

My concern is Logan appears to be traumatized. He is panting heavily and will not lay down and rest. I do not see any marks on him nor is he bleeding.

However, Gypsy has two very small puncture wounds on her nose, very close to her eyes. Should I treat them with something?

Any advice is welcome.

Everyday-4.jpg

Guest Ohiogreymom

You'll probably find out it was a cat. Cat bites can be very nasty. I would clean it ONCE with peroxide, and put antibiotic ointment on it. Did you check inside Logan's mouth for scratches? Darlene

Guest TeddysMom

Since you don't know what it was, I would get them on antibiotics and check with the vet Monday morning. The vet may want to give them another rabie shot.

OK, we seem to have found the problem with Logan. He has pulled a muscle in his neck and is hurting pretty bad. This has happened twice before and both times he reacted just like this. He had 2 Tramadol at 9:30 so I'm afraid to give him anymore right now. I will give him a couple more around 3:00 am as I am sure I won't get any sleep worrying about him.

Everyday-4.jpg

Definitely clean out any scrapes or bite marks with watered down peroxide or another antibacterial cleanser. If you have any neosporin I'd dab a bit on. Since you don't know what they got into I would ask your vet if they need a rabies update asap and some antibiotics.

You may yet find a body. Probably after it starts smelling underneath your house! :puke Sorry your kids got hurt!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest eaglflyt

I'm sorry your hounds are hurt. Definitely clean the wounds well and apply antibiotic ointment. Be sure to contact your vet soon for any further treatment that he/she may suggest. It may have been a cat, but if you're in an area with skunks, raccoons, opossums, etc. ... there may be other issues that the vet will want to deal with as far as treatment goes.

I hope all heal quickly and well. Hugs to all!

This happened recently with one of my dogs - a cat bit/scratched him around the face and chest/leg area pretty good (of course the cat was in my dog's mouth at the time).

After conversations with the vet, we did another rabies since I could not determine whether the cat had a rabies shot and continued antibiotics (from another issue) to make sure that he did not get an infection.

How is everybody this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zoolaine

My older dogs killed a cat a few months ago :cry1 Anyways Sunny got several wounds and had to go to the ER vet where he got a staple to close a gash and heavy duty antibiotics. Sunny is on immune suppressing medication for his PLE, but I would assume your vet would want to start antibiotics. As my vet said "cat's mouths are very dirty and their bites hurt" and if it was a wild animal all the more I would think. How are your babies this morning?

Gypsy is just fine. I cleaned the wounds and put some Neosporin on them. They swelled a little last night but they look good today and are not hot or sore when I touch them. Logan on the other hand is in really bad shape. I am going to start a new thread dedicated to his troubles.

Everyday-4.jpg