Wizard Has A Staph Infecton

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Wizard developed a rash on his pelvic area--redness, pimple-like spots, black, crusty stuff and spots. We noticed it last night. Took him to the vet today, and they say it's a staph infection. He's going to be on oral antibiotics for a long time and also gets daily sponge baths with Pyoben shampoo (has to stay on 5 min) and also Novasan. They think some bug bites he got a week or two ago might have provided an entry point for it.

Has anyone had this in their hounds, and were there any problems with recovery?

Guest Energy11

No, we have never had a Staph infection with the hounds, but, given the right antibiotics and nutrition, Wizard should be fine. Good Luck and give him a BIG hug!

Guest TeddysMom

My best friend's rescued boxer has staph infection on her feet and belly. She has been treating it for awhile now and it clears up but seems to keep coming back. She has just put her on Missing Link and is trying to build up her immune system. Staph is hard to totally get rid of and even when you think it is cleared up, I would keep her on antibiotics longer. Good luck and I hope it clears up quickly and doesn't pop up again.

Guest Energy11

My uncle, 91, got a VERY bad Staph infection, and he had to be on IV antibiotics for a while, but at 91, he is free from the Staph, feels good and looks good. The docs did recommend pro-biotic yogurt for him during and after his antibiotic treatment. Might not hurt Wizard, either. :-))

Tell Wizard, if my 91 yr old uncle can shake it, so can he! :-))))

Somewhere between whacko and "something to try"- a bit of manukna honey. It wouldn't hurt to try it on one or two spots, just to see if it has any local effect.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Energy11
Somewhere between whacko and "something to try"- a bit of manukna honey. It wouldn't hurt to try it on one or two spots, just to see if it has any local effect.

Couldn't hurt!

My Dane had recurring Staph (not sure which one) and it ended up being low Thyroid! Her ONLY symptom and of course one I wasn't familiar with... Your hound should be just fine, hopefully one round of antibiotics and the special shampoo and you'll be all set.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest SusanP

Where might I find Makuna honey?

Wizard's going to be on his antibiotics for 21 days. But I do worry when I hear how hard this thing can be to get rid of. He's 9 and has mild congestive heart failure, so it's not like he's in prime condition, either.

This was so out of the blue!

My Dane had recurring Staph (not sure which one) and it ended up being low Thyroid! Her ONLY symptom and of course one I wasn't familiar with... Your hound should be just fine, hopefully one round of antibiotics and the special shampoo and you'll be all set.

My Indy also had repeated staph infections in the groin, on thighs, butt, etc., also related to low thyroid (he lost all hair on his butt, thighs, so it was easy to see the infected skin). Dermatologist put Indy on antibiotics to clear up the staph and round and round we went as the poor dog's immune system was so compromised. Eventually, after Indy was started on thyroid meds the staph infections cleared up and ceased.

I also give Indy an omega goodstuff supplement (Heska F.A. granules, which is similar to The Missing Link), which helps the skin and coat.

Don't know if this is a possibility for Wizard, but do keep it in the back of your mind if the infection doesn't clear up.

Good luck! :)

I was just going to chime in and tell you to look into probiotics. The amount of antibiotics needed for a staph infection sometimes (at least in people) can cause c.diff. It was on Grey's Anatomy last season :P Probiotic yogurt might help?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sending good thoughts for Wizard! :bighug:goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SusanP

Is regular yogurt pro-biotic enough? I'll start with that anyway. He tolerates antibiotics well, generally. I think it's responding to the meds and bathing already, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Thanks, everyone.

Is regular yogurt pro-biotic enough? I'll start with that anyway. He tolerates antibiotics well, generally. I think it's responding to the meds and bathing already, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Thanks, everyone.

Some types of antibiotics are affected when taken in conjunction with milk or other products containing calcium or magnesium. Check with your pharmacist, or use encapsulated probiotics rather than live critters.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest FullMetalFrank

I used manuka honey on myself for the abscess from hell that would not heal after my surgery in June. I tried it after several rounds of antibiotics failed to help, and within a week of starting with it the little hole finally closed up and has remained closed! So for me it was great. Got ours at the Co-op (similar store to Whole Foods.)

A local company (Tec-labs) makes a product that is sold nationwide in drug stores called Staph-a-septic that is a topical which claims to help prevent staph infections and be effective against MRSA. I don't think it would "cure" anything but we keep some in the first aid kit as a precaution, I try to use it if I ever get a boo-boo (I can't use neosporin, I am allergic.) That couldn't hurt, either.

I wish I had taken probiotics when I was on the antibiotics for my abscess, as I ended up with a yeast infection...

I hope your pup heals up quickly without any problems, good luck!

Guest SusanP

It's interesting about boo-boos-- the bug bites Wizard got that preceded the staph infection were small ones, nothing unusual. And I even cleaned them with Novosan when I discovered them. I get cuts, scrapes, rashes all the time after doing yard work, etc... and just wash with soap and water, but so far I've been lucky. You just never know when staph will find an in.

Guest mickie37

I have been using Vetericyn, the OTC wound and infection treatment. If you are seeing a vet they also have a prescription formula. I have been happy with the results when I have used it to clean and treat the scrapes these guys get. It says on the bottle that it is good for skin infections.wow.gif

Mickie