Clavamox Costs What?

Guest greytbookert

Perhaps my clinic isn't as outrageously expensive as I thought: 28 X 375 mg was $78 Cdn--way higher than the online price, but less than the vets are charging.

But the Clavamox wasn't enough this time, so I got some Baytril: 20 X 150 mg was $88 Cdn. :(

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest RICHandJUDE

This has little to do with Clavamox but my Dad paid $100 per pill for Tarceva,

a cancer pill. A month's supply cost $3000 with a $500 co-pay. That was 3 years ago and

the pill didn't help.

I know the OP lives in my area, and yes, that sounds normal.

I get anything I need to administer long term from Omaha Vaccine (www.omahavaccine.com).

George was on Baytril (also very expensive) for 14 weeks. It cost me about $500 at Omaha vaccine, but would have been over $,1000 at my vet.

My vet charges 100-200% more than Omaha Vaccine. They refuse to price match, and I think that's SO short-sighted! I'd happily pay a small premium to get the convenience of getting my meds right at the vet visit. But double or triple? That's insane! So instead of them making a 10% profit on selling stuff to me, they get nothing! Dumb!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

There's no reason Baytril needs to be that expensive. The drug is a fluoroquinolone in the same class of drugs as Cipro, which is dirt cheap. Baytril was put in the drinking water of poultry until the FDA pulled it (drug-resistant strains of campylobacter), so if the stuff is cheap enough to give to factory-farmed chickens and turkeys, there's no reason it needs to be $500-1000 for a two week course of the stuff for a hound.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest sja5032
My vet wouldn't dare not give me a script for stuff like that! He knows better! Get the script and take it to Costco/Walmart/Target.

I second this, also if you have triple a I think you get an extra discount

Guest greytbookert

Talked with Vet today.. and they gave me a prescription for me to fill elsewhere. I went to Omaha Vaccine and got a 21 day supply of 375mg, which is 42 pills for a grand total of 77.32, including shipping.

the orginal bill from vet was not written entirely correct. What it should have said was 14 days (2 per day) of Clavamox 375mgs $107.34. So while, the pills weren't quite 10 bucks each, there is still quite a disparity of the amounts.

Re baytril vs cipro. Although the same drug, baytril works better. Most vets, even if they don't dispense the meds, will tell you so. Perhaps the way it is formulated?

Same class of drug (fluoroquinolone antibiotic), different drug. Cipro is ciprofloxacin; Baytril is enrofloxacin. Slight difference in the dangly bit moiety.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)