Flex Is Sick Again..i Am Worried

My poor Ig Flex..it is always something with him. His discoid lupus has been under control. He continues to have bouts of crying out in pain. First it started with ( I believe a UTI) since there was a discharge from his penis. Vet put him antibiotic ( cant remember name it is late) and he improved. then started crying in pain again.walking hunched over and vomiting. back to vet. she felt belly, bladder, etc. with no reaction. He screamed when she pressed on spot on his spine. He does have some disc issue so she felt the crying and vomiting was a result of the pain from the back. She gave him a shot of ( I think metacam) and something for his stomach. I always give him pepcid at nite since he wakes with a sour stomach. Fine for a few days. Then it started again. She prescribed meloxicam(metacam) for five days. I gave him the first dose Thursday nite. (only for a ten pound dog and he weighs almost 13). Oh, I also noticed increased thirst. Friday morning he vomits mucous 3 times and would not eat. I only offered it to see if he had an appetite (i forgot the pepcid thursday nite). His bm..started normal then went liquid with blood..Friday nite he ate fine. I did NOT give the metacam thinking he reacted to it.

So as usual I gave him his pepcid at ten PM with a biscuit. He only ate half of the biscuit. I woke up in the middle of the nite to find a large amount of vomit on the carpet. not just bile. I did not walk him Friday pm..since I had a cast put on my foot Friday after work....another issue....so I do not know if he had blood in stool or not. He is drinking a lot and has had terrible gas through this whole episode. Needles to say I am worried and will call the vet first thing in the morning. Hopefully my husband will come since I am on crutches...(this sucks!!!) He hasn't had any blood work since this all started. I will ask vet. IF it is a side effect from metacam...why would he have not gotten the reaction when he received a shot of it; is it only the oral version. He is walking a bit hunched over, but not crying in pain..sorry this is so long. I am worried. thank you for listening.

Donna

From veterinarypartner.com

The most common side effects of meloxicam are nausea, appetite loss, vomiting or diarrhea. If any of the above are noted, meloxicam should be discontinued and the pet brought in for a liver enzyme and renal parameter blood test. In most cases, the reaction is minor and resolves with symptomatic relief, but it is important to rule out whether or not the patient has more than just a routine upset stomach.

From veterinarypartner.com

The most common side effects of meloxicam are nausea, appetite loss, vomiting or diarrhea. If any of the above are noted, meloxicam should be discontinued and the pet brought in for a liver enzyme and renal parameter blood test. In most cases, the reaction is minor and resolves with symptomatic relief, but it is important to rule out whether or not the patient has more than just a routine upset stomach.

Yes, I read I aware of that since my female grey has been on meloxicam for a couple years. Her blood is tested regularly..these NSAIDS scare me. I will ASK the vet to do blood work if she doesn't bring it up. better to be safe than sorry. this little guy has a lot of problems....truly a high maintenance guy!!

Guest SoulsMom

This sounds a lot like what Soul has been going through the past year (and as you know, he also has Discoid Lupus). Soul's symptoms are under control with the prescription diet (Hill's I/D) and a 'snack' of the I/D before bedtime. If he starts making the 'gagging' noise like he's nauseated I feel his tummy and watch his face to see if it's a sour stomach. If if looks to be so he gets half a Pepcid.

Before this routine, when I was trying to figure everything out, if showed even the slightest sign of blood in his stools the vet would start him on a two week course of Flagyl. Has your vet prescribed this at all?

Yes Flex is on Flagyl.. thanks amber . I am glad Soul is doing well!

This sounds a lot like what Soul has been going through the past year (and as you know, he also has Discoid Lupus). Soul's symptoms are under control with the prescription diet (Hill's I/D) and a 'snack' of the I/D before bedtime. If he starts making the 'gagging' noise like he's nauseated I feel his tummy and watch his face to see if it's a sour stomach. If if looks to be so he gets half a Pepcid.

Before this routine, when I was trying to figure everything out, if showed even the slightest sign of blood in his stools the vet would start him on a two week course of Flagyl. Has your vet prescribed this at all?

Just returned from the vet with Flex. She did complete blood work, urinalysis, gave him a shot of tagement to settle his belly. She also gave me samples of hills ID and eukanueba low residue. While I have never been a fan of prescription diets, I am willing to give it a try to see if the food is the culprit. I will start with I/D first. Will speak with her tomorrow regarding bloods and UTI.

He did have x-rays of his back I believe in February and they saw disc narrowing at a certain spot. She wants to hold off and any of meds such as pred, etc until we get his stomach settled down.

Donna- I have no words of wisdom, I understand your frustration.

Continued good thoughts and prayers for Flex.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SoulsMom
Just returned from the vet with Flex. She did complete blood work, urinalysis, gave him a shot of tagement to settle his belly. She also gave me samples of hills ID and eukanueba low residue. While I have never been a fan of prescription diets, I am willing to give it a try to see if the food is the culprit. I will start with I/D first. Will speak with her tomorrow regarding bloods and UTI.

He did have x-rays of his back I believe in February and they saw disc narrowing at a certain spot. She wants to hold off and any of meds such as pred, etc until we get his stomach settled down.

I felt the same way about the prescription diet . . . .still do, but I've tried four times to switch to something else and each time he's had bloody stools. Even with a home cooked formula :(

Hugs to you and gentle hugs to Flex :grouphug

Donna- I have no words of wisdom, I understand your frustration.

Continued good thoughts and prayers for Flex.

Thanks Robin. Is Beau on the ID food? if I remember correctly what ever prescription diet he is on has helped him..I am hoping all blood work comes back ok and the food change will help this little guy and his stomach problems.

Hope your little bug improves. I know how worried you must be.

FWIW, we've used Hills ID, Euk Low Res , and Purina EN (canned versions only, not dry) with good results in sick doggies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.