Collecting Urine

Guest Hollys2hounds

Guest Hollys2hounds

You may remember I am pet sitting for an "older-gal" as her mom recovers from illness.

Sally will be turning 12 this December. She is a great dog. She acts like like a very young senior! Sally is Sweet, and GENTLE!!

Sally is on Proin (bladder control meds) 50mg 2x daily, and some other med for early kidney disease.

Recently, Sally has been peeing in the house. I let her mom know, and her vet increased the dosage of the Proin, but that does not seem to be doing the trick.

Tonight, I came home once again to a puddle.

It hit me, that perhaps she has a UTI. So tomorrow I am going to have the vet test her urine.

I already have a check up appointment for Lexy at 4:40pm.

If I collect Sally's first urine of the day (approx 6:30 am) and refrigerate it, will it be ok for testing that late in the day (4:40pm)?

Depending on the lab results, we will decide what to do next, but perhaps a full physical is in order...

update: No uti. Sally's mom and I will bring her to my vet on Monday for bloodwork and a physical. My vet said the urine was diluted, and will do further testing next week.

Poor old gal, poor rugs in my house!

Here's the thing I don't get.... she sleeps like a log from 11pm to 6:30am with no accidents.

She never pees when I am home with her. Today I left her for 1 1/2 hours, and she peed just before I left the house, and when I came home there was a puddle.

Yikes! I wondering if this could be behavioral?????????????????????

99% of the time she has an accident, is when she is home alone... (3 other dogs and 2 cats in the house always).

:dunno:riphair :riphair

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Hmmm. I've never fridged it for that long so I don't know.

Can you get a sample on the way in to the vet?

First of the morning is best if you're looking for specific gravity but for UTI it doesn't matter. You *do* want a midstream catch if you can get one.

Hugs and best luck -- and good for you for looking out for this girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wouldn't hold it that long. It should be fresher.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

You really should have fresher "catch" than that. If she is peeing a lot, I'd just let her out right before you take her or the sample to get vet, and collect then. I use a shallow bowl with females, and a junior sized baby food jar works wonderfully to contain and transport the urine.

Good Luck!

Did I misread or does she have "early kidney disease" -- if that is correct, then the first urine of the morning will be important to get the specific gravity and whether there is protein/glucose/blood in the concentrated urine.

You could always take two - the first morning specimen for the chemical type tests and one later in the day for the bacterial culture although, the concentrated early morning specimen usually works better for "cultures".

The best possible action is to take the first morning specimen and bring it in within an hour or two.

Guest Energy11

If you rule out everything else, yes, it could be behavioral. I had a friend whose foster peed in the house whenever she was gone, but never when she was there. Good Luck with this!

Guest Ashley

I don't mean to derail the original post, but how DO you get a urine sample? Do you run after your dog and hold like, a tupperware container when they start peeing? What if they stop because they don't want you near them? How is it done?

I don't mean to derail the original post, but how DO you get a urine sample? Do you run after your dog and hold like, a tupperware container when they start peeing? What if they stop because they don't want you near them? How is it done?

Exactly something like that. I have never had a dog stop mid stream while getting a sample. Its very easy to do.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest Ashley

Exactly something like that. I have never had a dog stop mid stream while getting a sample. Its very easy to do.

Oh, well that's good to hear! Luckily I haven't had to do it so far, but I'm sure one day I will have to. Now I know, thanks!!

Guest Hollys2hounds

hi Burpdog,

She is almost 12 years old.

Her teeth are terrible-- .

No, she does not go multiple times when out.

Our next move is the vet on Monday... culture will be back by then

If they do put her on the Clavamox- see if they will do the augmentin. Ask if it's the same. that could save some big $$. That's the drug I was talking to you about- clavamox. A lot of times the urine comes back OK but the symtoms persist. Clavamox tends to know "it" out even if it doesn't show.