Is It Possible To Achieve "seizure-free"?

Guest greythounds

Guest greythounds

Well--On October 1st, BB had another seizure. So--here's your sign kind of thing. I visited our veterinarian and we decided to start him on potassium bromide. We did do a thyroid test and I was kind of miffed--the vet tech drew a CBC instead of a chem panel--so I'll have to follow-up on that since I didn't notice until I left. As usual, my teaching schedule and rescue schedule are hectic. I have found a couple of days where I can pretty much be home with him to keep an eye out for side effects--we will start his medication Tuesday evening. Wish me luck and thanks for all of your helpful advice--the weblinks for canine epilepsy were just awesome.

Take care!!

Linda

So far so good for EZ since we tweaked up his meds. Had to kennel him and Penske and Hershey as I was admitted to the hospital and the kennel has reported all well and good. This kennel (Golden Bone) is greyhound savy and are also involved with Steel City. I can get my babies Monday and I will have a very lonely night tonight

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest greythounds

If only you could sneak EZ, Pensky, and Hershey in as therapy dogs that need to stay with you while you are hospitalized--that would be pretty neat. Enjoy reuiniting with your sweet Greyts tomorrow and get well! I'll post about BB's response to potassium bromide and crossing everything that---first of all--it works and of course--hoping for minimal side effects!

Take care...Linda

If only you could sneak EZ, Pensky, and Hershey in as therapy dogs that need to stay with you while you are hospitalized--that would be pretty neat. Enjoy reuiniting with your sweet Greyts tomorrow and get well! I'll post about BB's response to potassium bromide and crossing everything that---first of all--it works and of course--hoping for minimal side effects!

Take care...Linda

Thanks Linda that would of been greyt saying they were therapy dogs. I am thinking of getting Penske in a class as a few people thought he would be greyt even tho they have done pet therapy in the past but are not certified.

Guest PhillyPups

:hope Prayers it works for BB :hope

Beryl, sorry to hear you were in the hospital :hope for a speedy recovery. I know having your hounds home will feel good :bighug

:hope Prayers it works for BB :hope

Beryl, sorry to hear you were in the hospital :hope for a speedy recovery. I know having your hounds home will feel good :bighug

Can't wait until Monday 9 am to get my babies - worry about EZ the kennel said that stress might cause another seizure. Poor kids have not been kenneled since I adopted them but I had no choice and this is a greyhound savy kennel they are associated with Steel City Greys

As I post this, you'll be picking up you hounds! :yay

I will just mention on other possibility with regard to stress and seizures. Sometimes the very presence of stress will hold seizures at bay until the dog can relax. Then the seizure comes. For example, I had a house full of company--unusual for me-- and I worried that Piper would seize while the guests were there but he did not. He had his seizure a few hours after they left, just about the time we had both relaxed after the flurry of guests.

Sending best wishes to you and your hounds.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My bridgekid Scully was completely seizure free on a combination of Pheno and Potassium bromide....he was put on this right from the outset, our vet explained that the reason for the combination was that the Pheno was a quick acting drug, but it doesn't stay in the system very long (about 12 hours?) which is why it is given twice a day, but the K/Br is much longer lasting in the system once it has reached a therapeutic level in the blood (either over a period of days or by giving a loading dose..some dogs stomachs can't take that though)....it acts as a kind of "back-up" to the pheno.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I guess I have to wait for at least 15 days from the last seizure to see if the tweaking of his pheno will work. It was 15 days between the two seizures. At least he did not have one from stress in the kennel and as someone posted earlier from relaxing at home. Slept in bed with me last night.

I am also wondering about Hershey all night long her body is twitching but the legs are not moving. Will have to talk to the vet, she sleeps with me and vibrates the whole bed weighs about 55 lbs..

We have a Lab who is 12.5 years old now and started to seizure in the fall of 2003. The holistic vet put her on Chinese herbs and she has not had a seizure since December of 2003. Her herbs are Ban Xia Bai (...some more) and Si Miao San.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest greythounds

Hi Again--I just received a phone message from our veterinarian and BB's thyroid test was abnormal. I haven't seen the actual results and do not know if a T4 or the entire panel was drawn. So, I plan to stop by after work and look at the results. Two things I have read--one is that phenobarbital might affect the lab studies and also that lots of dogs with seizures have a thyroid disorder. So--now I am wondering if we should focus on the thyroid disorder--treat that--and then see if his seizures are controlled----or just go ahead and start the potassium bromide tonight as I had planned. Let me know and how is EZ and his human doing? Thanks!! Linda--A Place for Us Greyhounds--Lubbock

so far so good for EZ and his human managed to make it to work today for 3 1/2 hours am resting my leg and taking it easy. All I am going to do this evening is sew on a couple of greyhound coats