Rhem

laurie

Here are his symptoms:

Weight loss

Raspy breathing with intracostal retractions almost all the time, and a very hoarse bark

Hind-end weakness

Intermittant head tremors/head shaking (sort of like if he was cold, but he's not, and it's only his head and neck)

Back pain

Appetite is good; he gets hungry, lets me know when he wants something different to eat (I never let his bowl be empty), but then he only takes a few bites. I know for the last week or so since he's stopped eating very much that he's not getting enough calories. He is currently only eating about 3/4 a can of food a day, if that.

Normal poop/pee.

Testing completed and results:

Labwork=all normal up to this point

Full-body xrays have been done over the last 6-8 months=very advanced arthritis in his back but nothing else

TBD-negative

Positive for hooks and "lung and nasal" worms a few months ago=treated x3, twice with Panacur, once with Drontal

Throat 'scope=showed inflammation and increased mucous but no LP

He's had chiropractic care, and he takes Metacam for his back. Seems to make things a little more tolerable for him.

He takes Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime every day, mixed with his food.

I give him Mucinex for the increased mucous production on the vet's advice. Seems to help his breathing somewhat.

I've also been feeding him Satin Balls for months. He just keeps losing weight. He is so very skinny, and he's been giving me that look for the last few days--the one that says, "Mom, I'm done." I have an appointment for him Monday; the last appointment of the day. I need to do what's right for my boy. But I don't think I can--I feel so guilty for wanting him to stay with me. I want someone to help me fix him. No one seems to know what to do.

Can anyone give me any ideas? I'm so lost.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Only you know what you and he have been through and whether it is worth continuing to look for a solution for him.

Would it be worth doing an ultrasound of neck, starting at the top and working on down? Something must be causing the throat inflammation.

Might be worth liquefying his food -- make it quite liquid, no chunks at all, not too thick in consistency. You can do this with most any type of food and a cheap Osterizer.

Short term there are some high-cal supplements (Dyne is one) that pack a lot of calories into a couple tablespoons worth. Costly, but maybe useful in his case. If your vet doesn't have any, chances are another vet in your area would have it.

If he gets along with Tramadol, might be worth swapping it for the Metacam and then trying prednisone (can't give pred and Metacam but can give pred and Tramadol).

Hugs and more hugs, and gentle scritchies to your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Downtownhoundz

Oh I'm so terribly sorry! It sucks when they are so sick and nobody can give you an answer! I know exactly how you feel having gone thru that same thing a few months ago with my beloved Kylie. Hugs to you during this difficult time.. :grouphug

I've been giving him Dyne with every meal and in his water for a couple months now. He just keeps losing weight. He hasn't had an ultrasound yet-I will ask about that on Monday.

Ahicks--he raced at Geneva lakes; 188 races listed from 4/98 through 5/01. Why do you ask? Might that be significant somehow?

Laurie

Only you can make the decision for him when it's time to let him leave you physically. All of what you are describing are traits of older hounds as they age.

If you want to pursue other options - I've found that holistic vets can offer alternatives that have often helped my dogs, when traditional ways haven't. There are lists of them on the internet.

I use www.ahvma.org. Best though is to get a referral in your area.

The rasping sounds like larygel paralysis. Greyhound Gang has an entire section of medical info - there are articles on LP.

1. Acupuncture - very helpful for back end weakness and pain, also appetite and many other things

2. joint supplements - 1500 mgs a day of each product is needed to affect any change - glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM

3. Feeding 4 - 6 times a day with protein. Eggs, cooked steak, lean hamburger. whatever they want

4. Digestive Enzymes will help him assimilate his food better - Medizym and Prozyme are two. I like Medizym because it also helps with inflammation which is absolutely going on with your guy.

It is obvious how loved he is. When you make decisions, based on that love, he will know.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Claudia--thank you for the advice. I just ordered the Medizyme. I'm encouraged that you say what I'm seeing is normal for an aging hound; I've never had a hound live to nearly 13. My oldest hound was our Beatrice, who was healthy as a horse at 12, when she developed hemangiosarcoma.

Rhemus is so, so thin, though--I'm actually embarrassed to post a pic. Think Quilty, though. His breathing is what worries me the most. I think he's using most of the calories he eats just to keep breathing. Sometimes, like now, he is breathing quietly. But mostly, he seems to struggle. He was checked for LP, and it's not that.

All I know is I'm not ready to let him go. Someone suggested starting him on prednisone via pm; I'm hoping that that will give him some more time and will talk about that with the vet on Monday.

If anyone else can think of anything, or anything I should bring up with the vet, please let me know.

And, prayers for my boy, please.

Laurie

Ahicks--he raced at Geneva lakes; 188 races listed from 4/98 through 5/01. Why do you ask? Might that be significant somehow?

Sometimes coccidiomycosis ("valley fever," in dogs and people that have spent time in the southwest) can present with some weird neuro stuff- the shaking of the head, for example- but I didn't know advanced age was also a factor.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Checking on you and your boy today and sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks, Jey. :blush

I've gotten some great suggestions--he had a pretty good day yesterday. I started him on Pepcid Saturday, and Sunday he ate about a can and a half, plus shared my English muffin. I also stopped his Metacam Saturday in preparation for possibly/probably starting him on Prednisone and different pain med.

I'm hopeful. Vet appointment tonight.

Laurie