Bee Attack!

Robin1017

Somehow Robin put his face in a bee hive a little while ago and was swarmed. They were all over him and he was hopping around because they were getting him. :-( Chris got him in the house and we killed 7 bees in the kitchen! OMG!

Once we got Robin calmed, I put his muzzle on and checked him for stingers. I took two off of his ear, which is definitely swollen and hurting now. I know he got stung elsewhere, but I can't find any more stingers, so I hope they're all out. (He keeps holding up his right paw, so I know they got him there, but we can't find anything.) We gave him two benadryl, and we're watching him, but he's definitely uncomfortable. :( Aside from the benadryl, is there anything else we can do to help him feel better and ease the pain?

Even worse, when Chris was trying to get the bees off him, he had to use the poop bag in his hand to kindof swat them off of him, and we think Robin thinks he was hitting him, or mad at him. Poor guy.

I feel so bad for him! I just caught him looking out the window towards the bee area looking betrayed.....

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Watch for any swelling around his face. First sign, off to the vet, OK?

Sometimes you can find stingers by running your fingertips *very* lightly over the dog. They feel like little bits of wire.

Miserable scare for you and your pupper. Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If he doesn't feel better in @ an hour and your vet is open today, might swing him by for a shot of anti-inflammatory. But as long as he isn't allergic, he should start feeling better in a bit.

Can you tell we've had the same experience? Not as many bees/stings for us tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GentleHugs

I can't offer any other additional advice than what you have already received. I'd keep an eye on him and any signs of pale gums, difficulty in breathing, etc - off to the vet asap.

Poor baby..... must be awfully painful. :(

On another note, I'd try and find a local bee keeper and see if they can't come out and move that hive for you so this doesn't happen again.

Poor guy, feel better!

When ice won't work, another thing you can do is take a wet wash cloth and put it in the freezer and then use it vs the ice

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

As everyone else has said, watch for facial swelling and breathing problems. RE: the stingers ... whatever you can use that will work to get them out, if any are left.

When Oakly was stung by (God knows how many) fire ants, his face swelled so much, he looked like a Great Dane! I had to give (2) 25 mg Benedryl (not the allergy sinus type), every four hours, per my vet/employer. I had him on that for 24 hours, because his reaction was so severe.

Just keep an eye on your guy, and go from there. Oakly also had vomiting and diarrhea for almost two days. Good Luck! NASTY BEES!!!! :-(

I was stung two weeks ago for the first time in my life. I feel for your dog. You can get Benedryl spray, too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So he seems a little better. I think the benadryl's making him sleepy, because his eyes are droopy, but he keeps trying to lay his head down on the sore ear. :rolleyes: He's not panting as much, though, and he's more relaxed.

Thanks for the advice and kind thoughts! Hopefully he'll get to sleep soon. :wub:

If he's still swelling, a vet here on the board said a greyhound can receive 3 benedryl in one dose so you can still give him another if necessary. I'd really try and get some ice on the ear if at all possible, or maybe put a wet wash cloth in the freezer for a few minutes and when he lays his head down, put it under the ear.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm happy to report that Robin is almost his old self again. He felt well enough after a nap to take a quick trip to the pet store nearby for loves and cookies (he has the staff there all trained), and he seems much happier. The ear is much less swollen and sensitive--the only way you can tell what happened is that, instead of both of his ears standing up for cookies or to go outside, he has one ear up and his sore ear only halfway up. He looks lopsided and kindof droopy, but it's cute. And minor, considering the many more severe allergic reactions that poor houndies have had reported today.

Thanks for the warm thoughts!

Cathy & Robin

For future reference (I know it won't help any now), ammonia works great on bee stings - neutralizes the venom or something, but it's pretty instantaneous! It's what's in most of the commercial anti-sting wipes, etc...

So keep some ammonia on hand - just don't get it anywhere near the eyes, nose, etc - and I guess don't let them lick at the areas. (I've only used it on humans & myself - not tempted to lick them after!! :rolleyes: )

ANd benadryl too...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Yikes!! I'm glad he's feeling better now. Good job on both you and Chris being fast acting and swift thinking. You should pat yourselves on the back for that.. it's hard to keep your heads with a swarm of bees!