Restless And Uncomfortable

Guest dray1965

Guest dray1965

Hi, I've posted before about Mya and her mouth problems. Well, she was at the vet about 2 weeks ago and they did find a big lesion in her mouth and shot it with prednisone. Well, the next trick was getting her to eat - she hadn't eaten for two weeks before going to the vet - and it still took a few days after that to get back to eating. Well, she's been eating ever since her 2 usual meals and was doing great - til this past weekend.

This brings us to the new problem - she can't seem to lay down and sleep the hours away as she usually does. As soon as she starts to fall asleep, she jumps up with a start and walks off to another spot. She's also been laying down in weird places like the hall or the bathroom. She screamed a couple of times over the weekend, and it seemed to be when I touch a certain place on her head - that seems to be fine now though. Her appetite is still great and still does her business outside with no problems at all.

Help! I need any advice/suggestions as to what this might be. She looks so pitiful standing around til she just can't handle fighting sleep anymore. I called the vet today, but he won't be back in the office til tomorrow. She is a foster. And, finally, she is nearly 9yrs old - and she has arthritis. There, I think I've relayed all the info I can on this.

Thank you

She definitely seems to be in pain. Has she done anything strenuous lately, where she could have pulled a muscle in her neck or back? Injuries there can make them very hesitant about getting up and laying down.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Energy11

Definitely pain.

This is a long shot, and hopefully NOT what is wrong with your foster, but they say, dogs with brain tumors will seek out and sleep on hard surfaces, because their heads hurt.

Really hard to say, but definitely pain, and worth seeing the vet again.

Good Luck, and hoping things get better soon!

Guest dray1965

A couple of my co-workers also said today her symptoms sound like brain tumor. I really hope this is not the case. However, I'm concerned with the lesion in her mouth, the vet did not do a biopsy, and what if it's cancer? Being right there where her brain is, what if it spread? My mind is racing and I'm scared to death. I've had her for nearly 2 yrs now (she's a permanent foster). She is also my first foster, so all this stuff is new to me. I'm so glad you guys are out there. I know this is a powerfully close network of greyhound moms and dads! Thank you for being there. I'll be talking to the vet tomorrow and will post an update.

Guest dray1965

I wish I could say that she strained something, but that's not the case. She hasn't pulled any muscles anywhere. She usually sleeps all the time, til this past weekend. She's never been extremely active. Plus the other thing that I may not have mentioned in my initial post - her head looks funny. I thought with the weight loss she had while she didn't eat explained not only the spine and hips protruding, but I thought she lost the fat reserves in her head - but the right side of her head looks even more caved in and she will not lay on that side. I can't imagine what's happened. Hope to have more news tomorrow.

Guest Energy11

You could be right about the lesion in her mouth, and the close proximity to her brain, BUT, PLEASE, don't worry until you have to. Maybe the mouth is still sore, and the cold floors help it, when she lies on that side. (not all lesions are cancer, some are benign, as well).

The reason I mentioned a possible brain tumor is, back in Feb., my Curfew was diagnosed with a "presumed" brain tumor. (*I just could not afford the MRI). He, too, sleeps on hard surfaces, sometimes, but is doing extremely well, so, who knows!

Relax, rest, take a deep breath, until you can get to the bottom of this. I was beside myself when Curfew was diagnosed, ... we still have no idea what is up with him. It is a day by day thing.

Love, hugs, hope and prayers from Curfew and I, ... the other four, too!

I wish I could say that she strained something, but that's not the case. She hasn't pulled any muscles anywhere. She usually sleeps all the time, til this past weekend. She's never been extremely active. Plus the other thing that I may not have mentioned in my initial post - her head looks funny. I thought with the weight loss she had while she didn't eat explained not only the spine and hips protruding, but I thought she lost the fat reserves in her head - but the right side of her head looks even more caved in and she will not lay on that side. I can't imagine what's happened. Hope to have more news tomorrow.

Any discharge from her eye, nose or ears? When she was sick before, did they give you any pain meds? Might help her right now, till you get to the bottom of this. TONS OF HUGS! Dee and The Five

Guest dray1965

I really don't think it's still her mouth. She never acted like this when her mouth was bothering her in the past. With her head sunk in like it is - I'm really suspicious, though I'll try not to freak out yet. I think I still have some Rimadyl around here - need to look in my "pet cupboard" - I have three cats in addition to her, so everyone's flea, heartworm and first aid kit and food is in this cupboard. I'll keep you posted.

Guest Energy11
I really don't think it's still her mouth. She never acted like this when her mouth was bothering her in the past. With her head sunk in like it is - I'm really suspicious, though I'll try not to freak out yet. I think I still have some Rimadyl around here - need to look in my "pet cupboard" - I have three cats in addition to her, so everyone's flea, heartworm and first aid kit and food is in this cupboard. I'll keep you posted.

Yes, please try not to freak out yet. I know it is hard, believe me. If you find the Rimadyl, I'd give her whatever the dosage the vet recommended, with food if at all possible, even if it is yogurt, or something she really likes, to help her tummy with the Rimadyl. It can be irritating to the stomach.

If her head does hurt, at least this will help her. Love and hugs from us, and yes, please do keep us posted! Dee

wow, this is scary. there is a disease that causes the head to cave in. I can't remember what it is called, but I think I remember someone on this forum having a rottweiler that this happened to. When was the last time you took her to the vet? I would certainly make an appointment, asking about her head...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

This is what I found with a quick "google" search on caving in of the head:

Without looking at her, it sounds like a wasting of the temporal muscle on that side. This muscle fills in the top of the head in dogs and carnivores, the equivalent of our temple, with is a lot smaller due to us not being hunter-killers. These muscles are massive in dogs, hence when they atrophy it can appear like a dent. This can occur if there has been damage to the nerve supply to that muscle, or due to a condition known as masticatory myositis, which is an immune mediated disease affecting various muscles on the head that deal with jaw movement. German Shepherds seem predisposed but any breed can be affected. It is however usually bilateral so i do wonder if there may be a more focal lesion affecting the nerve on that side. Steroids can help if its a myositis. See your vet.

Guest dray1965

MYA UPDATE: I have called the greyhound group that I foster her through. I'm waiting to hear that I have authorization to take her to the vet. Should know something tomorrow. The "dent" in her head is EXTREMELY tender, I made the mistake of touching just the wrong spot today and sent her screaming through the house. She is resting more and has finally figured out she can lay on her right side - the left side is the bad side. At least she is not forcing herself to stand all the time anymore. Will give an update when I get my vet appt. Thanks everyone!

Guest dray1965

Calling the vet tomorrow. My foster home supervisor will be calling Mya's "puppy doctor" tomorrow. We hope to get her in tomorrow. I will post again when I know more. Thanks all! Keep those prayers coming!

Dog with a "dent" in her head and that level of pain really needs to see a vet ASAP, like now not later. Hoping you've got your appointment today and that vet can find the problem.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest dray1965

Sad news....the vet did see her this morning. It was determined to be cancer. My little "puppy girl" has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. My heart is broken, but she was in so much pain, there was no choice. I'll be fostering again, but I taking time to greive now.

Guest greytful4
Definitely pain.

This is a long shot, and hopefully NOT what is wrong with your foster, but they say, dogs with brain tumors will seek out and sleep on hard surfaces, because their heads hurt.

Really hard to say, but definitely pain, and worth seeing the vet again.

Good Luck, and hoping things get better soon!

I hate to say this, but that was my first thought too..... :( I hope it's not the case though. Just read your final post, I'm so terribly sorry, I lost my girl to something similar. Hugs to you..bet Kylie met her at the bridge..

Edited by greytful4

I'm so sorry!!! :( :( :(

I just saw this, our little Schipperke had exactly the same thing, head caved in (atrophied) -- brain tumor too :( :( :(

sending hugs :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Energy11

We are sooo sorry to hear this!

You know she was in pain, and now, she is pain free, which is wonderful. You have been through a lot together. She was lucky to have you!

Love and hugs from Dee, Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee, and Cari. My Bob, watching over all at The Bridge, ... Energy, Dasher, Max, and all of your baby! :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:gh_run2

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just remember the absolutely wonderful life you gave her till the end. She may have been your foster, but she was your hound. Know she is running pain free and will appreciate all that you did for her.

Chad