Good Thoughts For Riley

Lucy, I just watched your video of Riley with sound and that is the EXACT noise that Sutra makes :unsure I'll be interested to see what your vet has to say.

Deanna, that Frazzle video is too cute. The open mouth breathing that he does once he's laying on the bed is exactly what Sutra does too. It's not all the time...just when he gets excited about food time or potty time :blush

Question on the tieback surgery...what kind of $$$ are we talking here? I'd go to the ends of the earth for this boy but I'd just like to not have "sticker shock" if it's recommended.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucy, I just watched your video of Riley with sound and that is the EXACT noise that Sutra makes :unsure I'll be interested to see what your vet has to say.

Deanna, that Frazzle video is too cute. The open mouth breathing that he does once he's laying on the bed is exactly what Sutra does too. It's not all the time...just when he gets excited about food time or potty time :blush

Question on the tieback surgery...what kind of $$$ are we talking here? I'd go to the ends of the earth for this boy but I'd just like to not have "sticker shock" if it's recommended.

I'm not sure if I still have the invoice, and it was complicated by the extra days of care and antibiotics because of the AP, but I'm thinking $1200-1400, for the surgery and the planned part of the after care.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Lucy, if you don't mind sharing, what kind of tests are they doing?

Sutra was not due for his checkup for a few weeks but after reading this thread I made his appointment for Saturday morning so we can talk to the vet.

We will ask about gastroesophegeal reflux and the collapsed trachea possibility too...

Deanna, when Frazzle was diagnosed with the reflux, did his symptoms occur around eating time only, or was the noise made at random times? Sutra's seem to be random but I'll try to keep track of when they're happening to see if they're anywhere near when he's been eating. He does a couple of small cough-like noises first, and then the big horky noise.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I just heard from the vet - it is LP. I can't thank you all enough for mentioning this because we would not have known to test for it otherwise. The surgeon did not recommend surgery at this time as he thinks the possible side effects could be worse than the condition itself.

He says to only walk or exercise him at night when it is not as hot (which we have been doing) and to try and get an air conditioner if we can. We have talked about getting a/c in our bedroom, so we will go ahead and do that now.

We will continue to monitor him closely and if he seems to be declining at all we will re-evaluate having the surgery. I will have some steroids on hand in case of a particularly bad episode.

So all in all I guess this is good news, though I do feel a little sad that he will continue to have trouble breathing. It is definitely a positive to know what we are dealing with. Thank you all again. :grouphug

Kristin, just saw your post. They did a test of the larynx and esophagus, and also x-rays of his chest.

What did they have to do to test those things? Sorry I'm asking a billion questions but I'm a worrywart about this kind of thing. The old man and I have come so far, I want to keep him as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

Sorry to hear it's LP, but, glad to hear that you have some answers now and know what you're dealing with!

...wondering if the extreme cold of a midwest winter will also cause my boy to have the breathing thing :unsure

What did they have to do to test those things? Sorry I'm asking a billion questions but I'm a worrywart about this kind of thing. The old man and I have come so far, I want to keep him as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

Sorry to hear it's LP, but, glad to hear that you have some answers now and know what you're dealing with!

...wondering if the extreme cold of a midwest winter will also cause my boy to have the breathing thing :unsure

They had to look down his throat, so he had to be put under anesthesia. That's really all I know, sorry. I'm sure someone else can give you a better explanation...

Oh okay, they did scope him then. Just wondered if he had to be put out or if there was something else they did. Thanks Lucy!

Just saw this now and :grouphug

It sucks getting older :(

Sparks also has LP (mild) and does this hacking cough like thing- sounds like he's been eating grass and it's stuck in his throat. I don't walk him far anymore as I need to be close to the house in case something does happen and I ALWAYS bring a cell with. The vet said there's nothing to do at this point and I doubt I'd do surgery anyway (too worried about the actual surgery)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I have no idea, but my senior girl has been making that SAME horrible noise.... will watch to see what other folks think!

That's the noise that Sparks makes :(

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Sorry to hear this about Riley, but glad you have a diagnosis and some things you can do to make him more comfortable. Hugs to you both.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I give Howie a Prilosec or a Zantac (really any of those are ok) and that HELPS him when his mild LP is bothering him.

Worth a try for now. Can't hurt, might help until you figure out next steps.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Just saw this now and :grouphug

It sucks getting older :(

Sparks also has LP (mild) and does this hacking cough like thing- sounds like he's been eating grass and it's stuck in his throat. I don't walk him far anymore as I need to be close to the house in case something does happen and I ALWAYS bring a cell with. The vet said there's nothing to do at this point and I doubt I'd do surgery anyway (too worried about the actual surgery)

Aw man, I didn't know Sparks had it too :( Yeah, we have greatly decreased Riley's exercise. I'm pretty bummed b/c walks are his most favorite thing in the entire world. Sometimes we just walk him around the block, so he at least gets out of the house.

I give Howie a Prilosec or a Zantac (really any of those are ok) and that HELPS him when his mild LP is bothering him.

Thanks Lynn. Do you give it when he's breathing heavy? I have Pred in case he has a really bad episode, but it would be nice to have something to give him when it's not that severe.

I am excited about the air conditioning though :lol The vet was surprised that we agreed to get it for Riley. I would do almost anything for my boy, and this benefits both of us!

Yes thank you Lynn, that's very helpful. I was going to PM you to ask what you do to manage Howie's problem. What dosage of Prilosec do you give him? Just one pill? (I take that for a stomach problem that I have).

At this point I'd assume Sutra's case is mild, but my worst nightmare would be to find out he's having a hard time breathing and would need to be rushed to the evet. :(

He's not an overly active dog...he's 11. We take walks on occasion, but most of the time he just wants to wander around the back yard. He does run with Ace sometimes, and plays bitey-face with Skimmie in the house.

Lucy I'll be interested to see if the a/c makes an impact on Riley's breathing. As I said before, the house was about 77 degrees and Sutra was doing the hard breathing all the time. I turned the air back on so it's about 73 degrees and the heavy breathing has decreased - such a relief! He didn't seem bothered by it at all, but, it had me worried!

I'm at work right now so I just called DBF to ask him to write down any periods of heavy breathing (and what he was doing when it started) and note any times he makes that noise. I'm looking for patterns so I can help avoid situations that will cause him to flare up.

I guess it's good you have a diagnosis, but it really stinks. :(

Did the vet say that that sound was a symptom of LP specifically? Because my senior does that, but doesn't have any real raspy breathing or anything like that...she does pant, but no more than my other senior... so I wonder if it's an early sign?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I have no idea, but my senior girl has been making that SAME horrible noise.... will watch to see what other folks think!

That's the noise that Sparks makes :(

Morky too :( Thank you so much for posting this. Mork started making that sound several months ago - fairly infrequently - but enough, and it's a horrible sound.

Is there any treatment besides surgery and the measures you noted in your update (AC, only exercise when cool)?

HJsMom - how much zantac?

Deanna, when Frazzle was diagnosed with the reflux, did his symptoms occur around eating time only, or was the noise made at random times? Sutra's seem to be random but I'll try to keep track of when they're happening to see if they're anywhere near when he's been eating. He does a couple of small cough-like noises first, and then the big horky noise.

Well, he came to us with that diagnosis, if I'm remembering correctly. As far as the timing and frequency of his horkings, sorry, I really don't remember. I do seem to remember changing his antacid once or twice in response to increased occurrences.

Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

For Prilosec/omeprazole, we usually give one tablet once daily. I believe they are the 20mg tablets - it's the only size my grocery store carries.

For the Zantac, we used the 75mg tablets, but I honestly can't remember if that is once or twice daily.

Thanks for those links, Kari...I've been doing a lot of reading tonight but hadn't come across the greyhound gang stuff.

And thanks Deanna for letting me pick your brain :)

I hope everyone here that's now looking at this diagnosis is able to find answers and a course of treatment that works for your pup!

Fields also has LP and because the summers are humid here, I have a dehumidifier in the room that Fields likes to hang out in. It seems to help and I keep the house cool. He's had it for about 3 years and it's never seemed to have gotten any worse. Very interesting about the zantac and prilosec, I'd never heard of using it for LP, just the esophygeal reflux.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

I just can't believe the huge difference the a/c has made for Sutra. It helps me too as I have really bad allergies and this time of year is dreadful.

I do want him to be able to run and play and enjoy life now that he's got a new lease after the pancreatitis that almost took him from us...guess we'll just take it one day at a time.

I'm sure Sutra's case is very mild, but after reading a few message boards, etc. last night I saw tons of varying degrees of the problem. Some people just began to notice a mild problem and then a week or so later bam! they're needing to decide about surgery because it ends up being the only option-the condition has advanced that quickly. So we will talk to the vet and make sure we have the right things on hand in the case of a bad episode...and worry about surgery when/if the time comes.

Does anyone know if there are advantages to having the surgery done while the case is still mild vs. waiting until it's absolutely a necessity? Just thinking out loud here.

Our adoption group's reunion is next Saturday...I really hope I can take Sutra as he's somewhat of a celebrity since he's doing so well now :unsure I suppose we can try it and if he's having a tough time I can bring him home :dunno

Sorry Lucy, I kind of feel like I've been hijacking your thread :blush I had no idea there were so many here dealing with varying degrees of LP...

Edited by krissn333

No worries Kristin. This thread has been so helpful and informative. A few days ago I'd never even heard of LP, and now I feel like I am much better prepared to deal with Riley's issues.

He has had the hacking thing for quite a while, and the breathing thing to some degree for a while too. The breathing has definitely gotten worse this summer, but I am hoping once things start to cool off a little he will feel better. He lives for walkies, car rides, trips to the park, and playdates, so I will not completely cut those out from his life. We will just be more aware of the temperature, his excitement level, and the amount of time away from home. I refuse to take away all the things he loves.

The surgeon my vet talked to seemed to think it was better to wait until he absolutely needed surgery to do it, but I don't know what other vets think about it. It would be great if all of you who think your dog might be in the beginning stages of LP could post what your vet has to say. Kisses to all of these older babies :wub: