More D After Panacur

Guest SkinnyPete

Guest SkinnyPete

I've posted a couple times since getting a new greyhound about a week and a half ago. He had diarrhea when I got him, and the entire month prior with his foster. I began to change him over slowly from Canidae food to Wellness whitefish and sweet potato. During the switch over his stools became much firmer, and he seemed to have much more energy. That was also the day his fecal came back hookworm positive and we started him on panacur (last Thurs. - 5 days ago). His last dose of panacur was Saturday - 3 days ago. His diarrhea came back with a vengeance, he has terrible gas, and is very lethargic. Today he actually 'went' right in the street in mid-walk, which he's never done. I've started giving metamucil but it hasn't worked.

So, I'm not sure if I should wait out the food for maybe another week since he just started on it, or if this could still be a side effect of the panacur treatment. But, it's definitely the worst he's been and it did seem to start the day after the panacur started.

Guest Energy11

With the symptoms you are talking about, I'd get him to the vets. You don't want him to become dehydrated, and they might be missing another parasite in his stool, OR the hooks aren't totally gone. Sometimes, with a huge infestation of them, it takes a few treatments.

Good Luck, and hope this gets resolved soon.

I'd feed him some boiled meat today and tomorrow and see if he straightens up. Will not hurt to run in another stool sample.

Since Wellness sold to the same investment company that bought Eagle Pack, I won't feed it again. Try BilJac kibble or BilJac frozen (if you can get it where you are).

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest SandOSU98

I've been fighting an ongoing battle with roundworms that have been infecting Colby, and I too use Panacur. I've personally found that while Panacur helps get rid of the worms, it does nothing for the big D (which Colby ALWAYS has when he gets worms), so I usually get Flagyl along with the Panacur and that is a huge help. Flagyl should be fed with a meal; white rice and boiled ground meat as the other posters suggested is easier on the digestive system.

BTW I too feed Wellness--I use Core because for some reason Colby can't handle any with the fish ingredients--I love it! If it were me, I would hold off on changing his kibble for the time being. The D very well could be because of the worms. If anything, I would switch to the rice and ground beef until his digestive systems settles down, then slowly work the kibble back in, then if you still don't like what it's doing to him think about making a switch. Other posters may have differing opinions, that's just my 2 cents :) Good luck!

Guest SkinnyPete

So, just boiled ground beef and brown or white rice for a couple/few days? How much per serving should I make?

Was also going to pick up some canned pumpkin which I heard is beneficial.

So, just boiled ground beef and brown or white rice for a couple/few days? How much per serving should I make?

Was also going to pick up some canned pumpkin which I heard is beneficial.

What might be most beneficial at this point is a check with your vet. Flagyl might be in order and you don't want him to become dehydrated, which can happen pretty quickly.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest SkinnyPete

Vet is having me pick up a bland diet 'W/D' and Probiotic today. I also bought beef, rice, and pumpkin.

I'm going to stop at the vet's now for the WD and probiotic. Can anyone shed light on 'WD'? Should I actually be giving him this and the probiotic instead of beef/rice?

I'd go with I/D before W/D but that is me. It's not for long term feeding.

W/D canned:

Ingredients

Water, Egg Product, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken, Cracked Pearled Barley, Pork Liver, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, L-Tryptophan, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), L-Carnitine, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta-Carotene, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

W/D Dry:

Ingredients

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose 17.1% (source of fiber), Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Meal, Iron Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Tryptophan, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract

I use just boiled meat, or boiled meat and pasta or potatoes. No rice.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Vet is having me pick up a bland diet 'W/D' and Probiotic today. I also bought beef, rice, and pumpkin.

I'm going to stop at the vet's now for the WD and probiotic. Can anyone shed light on 'WD'? Should I actually be giving him this and the probiotic instead of beef/rice?

If you are doing a bland diet of hamburger and rice (or hamburger and noodles) then you don't need the WD. You can also give a little bit (a tablespoon) of yogurt instead of the probiotic.

The hamburger and rice will help to settle his stomach but, may not help much in firming up the poop. to do that you probably need to add some fiber into his food -- you can give some (1/4 to 1/2 cup once a day) of cooked green beans or cooked oatmeal (the 5-minute type).

Guest SkinnyPete

So, his stools were...I'm not going to say 'firmer'...I'll say 'less watery' today, but really noticeably. I bought the WD but I just felt weird about basically switching kibble again. I went ahead and fed boiled beef and rice with a big spoonful of pumpkin, about 2 cups of food in total. I was planning on doing this 3 meals tomorrow and see what happens.

W/D was the only prescription diet that worked for my boy. It has a higher fiber content than the I/D. In fact, it actually worked too well and I had to take him off of it because he was pooping sooooo much. But it firmed things up. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon.