Dazzle's Skin

Dazzle and Echo have been shedding profusely this whole summer. In the 4 years I've had them, they've never shed this much, and especially not Dazzle. They spent a lot more time outside last winter than they usually do and they grew a really thick, fluffy coat, so I thought they were just shedding it out. But within the last month they've gotten really itchy, and within the last 48 hours, Dazzle has developed a lot of red spots on his skin.

Echo is showing the same signs, just not to this degree, and she doesn't have red skin like Dazzle does.

They are both on Kirkland Chicken & Rice and fish oil. They've been eating the same food for almost two years with no problems and (previously) great results.

Dazzle's coat has started looking dingy.

dskin1.jpg

A shedding shot this morning. He had a bath yesterday afternoon.

dskin2.jpg

I tried to get a picture of the red skin on his hip area.

dskin3.jpg

This is a scar that used to be black from the sun. It has now developed tiny red spots.

dskin4.jpg

More red spots on his butt.

dskin5.jpg

This is under his front right arm. Yesterday it looked more like a bruise from him biting himself.

dskin6.jpg

Another coat shot where you can see how his hair has fallen out and become patchy.

dskin7.jpg

Only about 15% of his skin seems to be affected, but the affected areas are really itchy and he's uncomfortable. Also, there are no fleas or flea dirt.

Any ideas as to what is going on? How can I remedy this? Is it worth a vet visit?

Also Also - he's had two hot spots this summer so far. Both have healed.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Have you given him a benedryl to help with the itchy bumps?

I had a dog (non grey) that was really sensitive to changing laundry soaps, carpet shampoos, and other household cleaners. He also reacted to me using a scented lotion on my own skin. It seemed the older he got the more sensitive he became. When he got really itchy I gave him benedryl and would put him in a bath with teatree oil and an oatmeal soak.

Also, I've noticed with my greyhounds that as they age they shed more with the change of season. I'm a hair factory here now that they are all seniors! Hugs to the Dazzle man!

Guest Energy11

I'd say yes to a vet visit. Looks like allergies, and looks like Dazzle might be feeling miserable with this. :-(

Could be something outside getting him, or the food, but, you say, he's been on it a while without problems. My good friend's grey looked like Dazzle, and it was food allergies.

You CAN try Benedryl (not the allergy/sinus kind) 50 mg, four times a day, but, if he were mine, I'd have him looked at. Vets have sooo many better things for allergies!

Good Luck!

Another vote for the vet taking a look.

Wayne's allergies have been brutal this summer and he also has food allergies which have been under control.

My vet has him on 100mg of Benadryl 3x a day, it's dosed according to his weight. I also have to use a steriod topical because this summer the allergies are especially bad.

Allergies are miserable for them. let us know how you make out

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Have you given him a benedryl to help with the itchy bumps?

Yes, I've been giving him one in the mornings for the past couple days.

Rachel, have they been swimming in any ponds or lakes of any kind?

Nope, no swimming. I have boarded them down here a couple times this summer though.

Vet visit and I'd use benedryl till then. That one spot looks like staph.

Which spot?

The main reason I don't think it's allergies is because it's only on certain (and very few) parts of his body. All the spots are shown in the pictures. His skin is clear everywhere else. Also, Echo is showing the same signs, and it seems unlikely they'd develop an allergy to the same thing at the exact same time.

Puzzling. I'll get him to the vet on Monday if I can.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

That's why I asked about swimming. Some times they can get infections from the water. I'd have him looked at. It could be something he picked up at the boarding kennel.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest paulamariez

Tiger has allergies that pop up every single late August and turns him into the Itchy Scratchy Monster. We've tried a bunch of different antihistimines on him and the vet is hesitant to give him steroids because of problems he's had with them in the past. I would suggest a trip to the vet just to be sure, but certainly giving him Benedryl would be a great place to start. I'm betting that Dazzle may have some sort of allergy to something, if not the allergens in the air, it might be something in your house. It is especially suspicious because both of your hounds seem to be having symptoms.

Guest meakah

Definitely looks/sounds like allergies of some sort. If you haven't changed foods I would think it is something environmental. Especially if it is both dogs. Have you changed anything in the house? Like cleaners? Or any chemicals on the grass or anything? Or maybe laundry soap change? I would try to think of anything that they could react to that you may have changed. I would also be skeptical that something in the food has changed simply because I have been through that once....possibly twice....and I trust no food companies anymore. I would give them some benadryl and see if that helps...if it does then you know it is likely an allergy. And if any appear as lesions or anything, I would consider having a vet look at it. You can likely get some topical cream as well that would make them feel better.

Guest monica

Vit E and aloe vera are very soothing to the skin.

Use only natural cleaners in the house and watch what you put on the grass and keep the toilet cover down. I think the prayers here are healing

Vit E and aloe vera are very soothing to the skin.

Use only natural cleaners in the house and watch what you put on the grass and keep the toilet cover down. I think the prayers here are healing

chamomile and tee tree are also good for the skin.....hope Dazzle heals quickly

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest luckydog

I'd like to add that fleas are only on their victims when the fleas are feeding. Then the fleas jump off (and into your yard/carpet/couch...) until they get hungry again.

I had a dog that was allergic to flea bites and would get splotchy red spots, just like in your pictures.

looks like hot spots to me. my vet suggest hydrocortisone w/ aloe.i buy it in bulk at costco, you need to apply it more than generously. seems to work better than the tea tree oil. my late welsh terrier used to get them. all it took was one flea bite and he poor skin went ballistic. as mentioned before, always check w/ your vet.

Guest meakah
chamomile and tee tree are also good for the skin.....hope Dazzle heals quickly

DILUTED Tea Tree Oil....about 1 part Tea Tree Oil to 9 parts water. I learned this the hard way. :( Animals can't handle it full strength....burns their skin...