$590.05 Dental Treatment?

Guest GracieMae

Guest RocketDog

Dentals through a big-volume clinic can be as inexpensive as $150-200 here, but the vet we use quoted me $250+ for the basic scrape-n-buff, not including bloodwork or fluids or extractions.

Guest sheila

much depends on your area and the protocol your vets follow. Around here a dental a basic dental runs about $120 or so. My vet doesn't do any blood work before hand. Pain meds and antibiotics are only given if there are extractions. He's done dentals on several of my dogs now and none have seemed to have any ill effects.

Guest WhiteWave

I've only done a dental on one dog, a senior hound. The vet quoted me $400. When they went in, there were more extractions and issues. The vet that did the surgery was going to charge $650, but the vet that actually owns the shop said he said $400, that is all they charged.

I did have to pay $500 for Zeus when he broke his canine just to have it removed! He of course did it in the middle of the night and had to go to the E-vet!

If I only had the vet money I've spend the last 10 yrs I could........... well I guess could spend it on dogs! :)

I paid $147 for Maggie's dental recently but you would need to add in bloodwork if it was necessary. Neither of my greys have ever needed pain meds from a basic dental procedure so I just had the $147 amt. I am really happy with that after seeing some of the awful prices for so many of you!

Guest shanesmom

The last dental I paid for was a few years ago for Shane who needed them frequently and I paid only 140.00 in Ohio with a 20% discount. Fortunately, Elton who will be 9 in November has never needed one yet. The vet says his teeth are excellent for a greyhound.

Guest GracieMae

Thank you all for sharing your experiences :wub: ~ I am quite comfortable about the fees I paid now.

More chatter:

:ghplaybow:ghplaybow:ghplaybow

Fortunately for me each of my 3 greys had their teeth cleaned along with their shots, etc. when I adopted them from their home groups. Since I adopted Gracie Mae first and Buttercup a year later and another year later got my Johnny Boy I can spread out the work doing one grey each year. I don't know why GM was given the pain medication but she did have awful breath and her gums were the problem...no extractions...

I ordered a dental spray that may help them, I don't do a very good job brushing but we're doing better.

:brushteeth :brushteeth :brushteeth

Wow, I think that is high. I live in St. Louis and my Ali's dental along with her loosing 9 teeth cost $400. A usual cleaning for her or my other grey, both seniors is about $200 for a cleaning and no extractions. This charge also includes the pre-screen panel and work ups as well as special monitoring during and after the procedure. They charge $20 a tooth for an extraction. I might see $450 if the teeth were in a state of advanced tartar and haven't been cleaned in awhile.

I also have started using Petzlife tooth gel that you can get online or at Petsmart. It has made a great difference in maintaining the teeth between dentals.

Edited by stlgrey

Guest GriffinsMom

I wish I had your dental bill.

Ava - Senior blood panel, basic dental, and 5 extractions - $780.00

Miles - Senior blood panel, basic dental, and 26 extractions - $1222.00

My hounds need to learn how to floss.