Cavoc's Ear Surgery Is Scheduled

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

I had posted a few weeks back about my GSD Cavoc and his ear problems. He went for a follow up with the surgeon on Monday nite and his ears really haven't gotten any better. Both ear canals are diseased and have open ulcerations and growths. I have tried several things to help with his ear problems in the 2 months that I have had him but nothing really seems to help. On the vet's recommendation, I have scheduled Cavoc for bilateral total ear canal alblations on 8/27/09. This was a HUGE decision for me b/c it will leave Cavoc completely deaf but he will never be in pain again.

I absolutely adore Cavoc and I am scared to death for him to have this surgery. I have complete faith in the surgeon and he has performed the surgery many times. It is a very long (5 hours for both ears), involved and complicated surgery. I know that there are risks and that this is the right thing to do but I can't help but get teary eyed everytime I think about leaving Cavoc there next week and not being able to explain what is going on and that he will never hear again. Am I being overly emotional about this?

:grouphug The ability to do something about Cavoc's constant pain is a wonderful gift. Who knows how bad his hearing is at this point anyway. :( I hope everything goes smoothly & that he will be able to enjoy his new life fully soon. :)

eta: would it be possible to start working on some hand signals with him now? That way he might have some familiar communication after the surgery.

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest houndlover
:grouphug The ability to do something about Cavoc's constant pain is a wonderful gift. Who knows how bad his hearing is at this point anyway. :( I hope everything goes smoothly & that he will be able to enjoy his new life fully soon. :)

eta: would it be possible to start working on some hand signals with him now? That way he might have some familiar communication after the surgery.

He does have limited hearing at this point and yes, I have started some training with him. I am looking for a good website to show me what the hand signals are. He really is smart dog and I'm sure he will pick it up in no time. Thanks for the suggestion and good thoughts

:candle I am so sorry for your pup, I had a yellow lab, deaf from birth, easier to teach him hand signals, than DH. he was a gental soul, and lved with me until age 13 then to the bridge, Your choice was hard, but so right, it would be terrible to be in pain all the time, especially when someone could help! IMHO you have made the right choice Good Luck, please keep us posted

It is scary but it sure sounds like you are doing the best thing for him. Hope his surgery goes well and he makes a rapid, happy recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

We'll be praying for Cavoc and all of you. I'm sure he will feel so much better when the surgery is done. He should adjust pretty quickly to being pain free and learning hand signals. We'll keep watching for your updates. (((HUGS)))

Boy, I cringed just reading your description of the current condition of his ears--I bet Cavoc will feel sooooooooo much better afterwards.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota