Poor Guenivere My Foster

I feel so bad for her. I know this is for the best but it breaks my heart. Hopefully it is a quick recovery. Any advice on helping her recovery would be welcome. Once she heals then she can start looking for her forever home

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Get well soon, Guenivere.

Mine came to me with an amputated toe that was healed and did not cause any future problems so I don't have any practical advice. If that is what needed to happen, I am betting she will adjust. Leash walks and good pain killers? Thanks for taking care of her.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Wen, one of my fosters had to have that surgery, too. Just had to leash walk him for a few weeks, keep a sock or bandage on the foot and distract him from licking. You may need to tape up a muzzle so she can drink but not lick... like a anti-poop insert in a muzzle. Sending healing thoughts to your girlie... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest wdlndgreasil

Was it an outside or a weight bearing [the two middle ones] toe? Outside toe is quick & easy to recover from. Evie had hers amputate years ago - and within days she was up and running around the yard like nothing happened.

Making sure the bandages stay clean is key. Do you have any of those mutluks dog booties? Those normally have tough leather or leather-like bottoms and work perfectly to cover it up and keep the dirt/moisture out of it. Better than those stupid IV bags the vet would normally put over it.

If it's a weight bearing toe, she will be ok, but more prone to dislocating the other middle toe from running, etc. and more prone to injury in general from hard-core running [yes, even around the yard or dog park] because the support will be missing. Not that she couldn't run, but just use more caution - and no lure coursing!

Sam had a weight bearing toe on rear foot amputated (first knuckle) end of June. Once we got past all the licking it was a good recovery for him. Had him wear a therapaw boot (loose) at night when he did the most licking. He is completely healed now, running through the house like a maniac and seems to not miss it at all.

How is she doing?

She is such a trooper. She is up and doing great. She still keeps the foot up (front right) but forgets when she gets excited and will use it for a few steps. She goes in on Friday for bandage change. On a side note she came to us with a shorter tail. I was looking at the tip tonight and found 2 staples. So I am going to see if vet can remove them cause I sure couldnt. I guess it pays for me to be such a "checker"

Guen wanted to thank all for the well wishes

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest ronansmom

Ronan came to me with an amputated toe off his right foot. For some reason, related or not, that's the foot that tends to get the corn. Other than that, he has no problem with the foot. Wishes for quick healing for Guenivere.