First Broken Toe

Well, while running last night, Runner did the GSOD and came limping back to the deck. The outside toe on his left front leg was NOT where it should have been. :eek So, I did the first thing I thought of, which was to grab his toe and try to pop it back into place, thinking it was just disclosed. :blink::unsure Gave him some leftover Tramadol and didn't see any swelling. But of course, it did swell and he's hobbling around like crazy, so to the vet this morning with him. Poor guy. He's our big sweet boy and I hate to see him like this. Hopefully, it will heal quickly.

Melanie, Clark, Ringo, and Ricardo

(Missing Runner at The Bridge)

Poor bug. Sending gentle scritchies and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Update: Vet called back and sure enough, it's definitely broken. Up close to where it attaches to the paw, and it's in all these little pretty pieces. Luckily, none of those pieces are displaced or floating around, so that's good. But now we're looking at 6-8 weeks in a spoon splint with limited activity, and check-ups every 2 weeks. Lovely. <_< Luckily, Runner is our lazy boy, so I doubt he'll care that he won't get to run around at all for the next several weeks. :yay

Guest TheDoggfather

In the grand scheme of things, this is a pretty minor injury. Follow your vets instructions, but, insist on regular bandage changes. As a matter of fact, ask to sit in on one and have them teach you to do it, because it'll get expensive after a while!

We are going through the exact same thing... Nico broke his right front digit (toe? finger?) on Sunday evening, so he's in a splint up to his elbow..(see my posts: "Broken Paw"). I know what you are going through!!!!! Hang in there...everyone on this board has been so helpful and it IS getting better.... :colgate

Have regular WEEKLY bandage changes as long as he is splinted. Two weeks is too long, and they develop pressure sores very easily. I also second Doggfathers suggestion of doing them yourself - unless your vet will do them for free as follow-up (though I doubt they will). Plus your boy won't have the stress of going to the vet.

Definitely insist on weekly bandage changes! Your vet won't want to do it that often, so you'll need to be firm. Their legs are bony and have such thin skin that they just can't go two weeks without developing further problems.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for all the suggestions. My vet is very receptive, so I bet he'll show me how to change the bandages, and I'll tell him I want to do it weekly instead of every two weeks. My heart will ache when I pick Runner up from the vet after work. I hate the thought of seeing him with his leg wrapped to China and back! :(

And it's it ironic that he raced for almost 2 years, and then breaks his toe in his own backyard? Geez!!! :dunno

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Remember, tracks are usually groomed sand. Your yard has divits and rocks and such. Many more hazzards to watch out for. My boy has sprained a toe in our yard as well as ripped a dew claw off, numerous cuts and abrasions. Just extra love and all will be fine.

Well, picked Runner up at the vet last night and talk about one pathetic boy!! I think he's really going to milk this injury to its fullest extent to get more scritches and treats! :lol And he especially likes the plastic bag I have to put over the wrap when he goes outside in the morning to go potty (grass is wet). NOT!!!

So far, he's still hobbling around like a tripod. I know the toe still hurts him, and can tell when the pain meds wear off (he does the GSOD). That will wake you up at 6am!! ;)

The vet did show us the x-ray last night, and he did a doozie on his toe. The bone he broke is now in 4 pieces.

I'm really hoping he heals fast because 8 weeks puts us right before we leave on vacation, and I can't be worrying about him while on a cruise ship!!!

Guest boondog
Well, picked Runner up at the vet last night and talk about one pathetic boy!! I think he's really going to milk this injury to its fullest extent to get more scritches and treats! :lol And he especially likes the plastic bag I have to put over the wrap when he goes outside in the morning to go potty (grass is wet). NOT!!!

So far, he's still hobbling around like a tripod. I know the toe still hurts him, and can tell when the pain meds wear off (he does the GSOD). That will wake you up at 6am!! ;)

The vet did show us the x-ray last night, and he did a doozie on his toe. The bone he broke is now in 4 pieces.

I'm really hoping he heals fast because 8 weeks puts us right before we leave on vacation, and I can't be worrying about him while on a cruise ship!!!

Poor Runner. You milk it for all it's worth, sweetie! :P