Safe To Draw Blood From Bleeding Syndrome Hound?

Does anybody know if it is safe to let a vet try and draw blood from a hound with idiopathic greyhound bleeding syndrome? I would like to get a blood test done so I can be sure it is safe to use anti-inflammatory due to old injuries/pain. Cash nearly died when spayed at rescue though- requiring a transfusion- as she is one of those bleeder syndrome greyts. Luckily she happened to be at a board certified vet so she was saved but she would probably have perished at an ordinary vet. Anyway the board certified vet told me that any little cut or puncture could cause her to bleed out-it was very serious. I keep military Quick Clot at the ready just in case at home. But will the 18 gauge needle hole or so used to draw blood set off a bleeding episode of some sort. I lost one hound to DIC so I am very skiddish over blood issues. Just wondering if anybody else had one of these hounds and what their experience was with things like getting blood samples. I have been afraid to even have her teeth done for the same reason. That first vet said it was real serious and he wouldn't clean her teeth- only scale them without anesthesia. I just don't know so like I said was wondring about others experiences. Thanks.

It might be worth consulting with the folks at Ohio State, who have done some research on this issue. Has she had a coag panel and von W test? Are her platelet levels normal? You'd need a blood draw for those.

Normally things like a blood draw and simple dental (no extractions) are not a big issue. When we thought Joseph might have a bleeding problem (turned out he did not), those were the things my vet was willing to do, altho he would not do the dental without the coag panel / von W test first.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Personally, I don't THINK gettting a blood sample would be a problem, as it is a small amount and you'd have both the vet and tech there, BUT an email to Dr. Couto or his staff would probably be a good idea, prior to getting the blood test, just to be sure. couto.1@osu.edu (Dr. Couto) Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu (Drs. Marin and Vilar).

Good Luck!

Not sure if this will help but I've had 2 Von Willebrands Greys, and a simple blood draw was never a problem.

However, they were not allowed to take any anti inflammatories as a side effect of those drugs is bleeding, which we found out the hard way

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

FWIW, my vet didn't think even an extraction would be an insurmountable problem if dog was indeed a bleeder. That's an operation where you can pack the cavity well so as to control bleeding. Not like a spay surgery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

As a precaution, I would make sure the Vet has Amicar *in hand* just in case. When Demon needed it for bleeding issues, we had difficulty finding it. Most pharmacies don't have it in stock.

Donna,

It is safe for Cash to have annual bloodwork - in fact I would encourage it. I don't have her medical records in front of me, but I seem to remember us sending off BW after her spay. There was no concern issued with drawing the blood at that time, so I don't know why there would be now.

The board certified vet is not what saved her life - it was all chance. She bled out the day after her surgery - which just happened to be a holiday. They checked on her by chance when she started to bleed & called & asked to do a transfusion from another foster dog. Had they not checked until later she may have died. We have had this unfortunately happen since Cash & that dog was saved as well. Being board certified is not the issue - being a good vet is.

The vet just needs to know she is a bleeder before any procedure is done. It doesn't mean she can never have anything done to her - that would be unrealistic.

We are lucky in that our area has a lot of vets from which to choose. Some are much better than others & some I would run from - but it is still great to have choices. Find one that you trust - and that will work/listen to you. I consider my vet my partner is my pets healthcare.

I lost a dog to DIC too, but really that is a rare occurance. Doing BW on a dog - particularly as they age - is an important part of their healthcare in my opinion.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

The vet just needs to know she is a bleeder before any procedure is done.

This is exactly what my vet said about my VW dogs. As long as ther are aware, they will be prepared so that any procedure is as safe as possible.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11
The vet just needs to know she is a bleeder before any procedure is done.

This is exactly what my vet said about my VW dogs. As long as ther are aware, they will be prepared so that any procedure is as safe as possible.

Agreed. As long as the vet knows, there shouldn't really be a problem. Just like when we have humans that are "bleeders," ... as long as we know in advance. I have drawn blood in MANY human, "bleeders," wihtout incident.

Guest snakes

I had a girl that was in short (Although felt like forever) ITP and we went to get blood taken to check platelet counts (always good to know where you stand on that with a bleeder) I would just be extra carefull that the puncture was wrapped extra tight. One vet seemed to think taking blood from the neck was better because there is more muscles and whatnot to stop bleeding and i held the gauze at the puncture site for a good 5-10minuted. Once she developed bleeding in the chest due to a leash incident we only did leg draws. I just made sure the gauze was very firmly held (i usually did it while they sorted out the blood) and that it was firmly wrapped with vet wrap for a good 12-24hrs after.

Good luck!

Guest Energy11
I had a girl that was in short (Although felt like forever) ITP and we went to get blood taken to check platelet counts (always good to know where you stand on that with a bleeder) I would just be extra carefull that the puncture was wrapped extra tight. One vet seemed to think taking blood from the neck was better because there is more muscles and whatnot to stop bleeding and i held the gauze at the puncture site for a good 5-10minuted. Once she developed bleeding in the chest due to a leash incident we only did leg draws. I just made sure the gauze was very firmly held (i usually did it while they sorted out the blood) and that it was firmly wrapped with vet wrap for a good 12-24hrs after.

Good luck!

I do NOT like vets who draw blood from the EJ (neck vein)! I don't allow it on mine, except the time Curfew has the stroke/seisure last Sept, and his blood pressure was too low to get it out of a leg vein. Greys have wonderful veins, and the vet SHOULD be able to draw from them. I would NEVER do a "neck vein," in a "bleeder!"

Not sure if this will help but I've had 2 Von Willebrands Greys, and a simple blood draw was never a problem.

However, they were not allowed to take any anti inflammatories as a side effect of those drugs is bleeding, which we found out the hard way

Thank goodness for letting me know that as I didn't and I really doubt the vet would have picked up on it either. The vet was the one who prescribed the Ecogesic! Lucky I didn't trust her and decided to check with Greytalk first. You probably saved me a lot of trouble! Thanks again!

The post op bleeding you described is something any greyhound can experience during a spay, amputation or other major surgery. Dr Couto is a hematologist as well as an oncologist. He now advises than any hound having those kinds of surgeries should have Aminocaproic acid given before (when possible) and after. The number of bleeds they now see at OSU after using this drug is significantly decreased.

I have a hound who is a bleeder, and he was also a 7 time blood donor. The program we volunteer with uses the cephalic vein, not the jugular. He has only had minimal bruising after donating once. I wouldn't worry about a blood test. My vet just has me put pressure on it for a bit longer than they normally do.

You'll find info on Greyhound bleeding, Von Willebrand's in Greyhounds etc here OSU GHWP

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.