Wound On Face

Hi all - we brought our boy home on Saturday and he has a couple of wounds on his face (apparently from trying to remove his muzzle too vigorously!). He came home with some antibiotics to help with any infections, but the poor guys just keeps breaking open the same wound over & over as I think it's starts healing, then it itches and then he scratches. It scabs up overnight, but by the end of the day, it's just an open wound (not deep) that bleeds and gets all over the side of his face.

He has a vet appointment on Thursday afternoon (just a "get to know you" appointment) and I'm going to have them look at it then - but is there anything we can do in the meantime? I'm afraid he's going to have to get an e-collar (arg!) - we've been able to stop him from scratching a few times, but we can't catch him every time. We've also been applying a little Neosporin.

Anyone have any ideas? Here are a couple photos - you can see he had a couple other spots that healed up in the first photo, and there is one main one that he just keeps breaking open. Sorry the first one is blurry, he won't hold still long enough to get a good shot! :lol

face1.jpg

face2.jpg

The only thing I can think of is a cone or a Bite Not collar. You can google Bite Not collar and see what it looks like. The dogs seem to like it much better than a cone.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MyBoys

I swear by EMT spray or ointment, I believe there is something in it for rapid healing and also no itching while it is healing. I have used it many times on my greys and within a day or so the wound is almost gone. I order it online but I know some people on GT have gotten it other places.

I second the EMT gel. You can order from GEM on line. Fast service and delivery. No affiliation, just a satisified customer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

You might try putting a baby bootie on his back paw. Ranger had stitches on his left shoulder at the perfect angle for him to scratch. I put a baby bootie on his paw so that at least if he tried to scratch he wouldn't catch the stitches with his nails. It worked wonderfully and he never eve tried to scratch. Don't know if it's because the baby bootie felt weird or what be he left it alone.

Guest BiancasMom

I like the baby bootie idea but you may also try giving some Benedryl. It may make him sleepy and/or decrease some of the irritation he is feeling. It's a long shot but won't hurt!

I was going to suggest some of the same things, but all together.

EMT is amazing I have the spray and love it. Benedryl will help with the itching until the EMT works. A baby sock (taped at the top) will reduce the chance it will break open if he does scratch.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest KennelMom

I'd put a little emt gel on it and see if that would hold it. Definitely no muzzle until that's healed (and make sure you get a Birdwell muzzle so if he rubs in the future, there's less of a chance of that happening...they put the fasteners in the muzzle with the smooth side towards the dog.

Thanks, all! I just ordered the EMT gel AND spray and we're going to give him some Benadryl - I don't have a baby sock, but I've been thinking of trying to put a sock on him - so I'll definitely try that, too. I really appreciate it - every time I hear him start scratching I just cringe!!

Guest Energy11

I'd put toddler socks on his feet and maybe a large bandaid to cover the wounds. You can cut it (bandaid) to size. Good Luck! I HATE E-collars, too! NICE LOOKING BOY, THOUGH!

Me? I don't use EMT gel, ALTHOUGH, I hear it is pretty good. I am a firm believer in Trypzyme-V ointment, because it heals, as it protects. http://www.petstruly.com/3307.html

Good Luck! Whatever works :-)

I too swear by EMT gel and spray. I have both on hand. A few weeks back Opie had a key ring clippee thing that punctured his pad on his foot. I used neosporin for a few days to make sure there was no infection. The hole was still there though. I switched to EMT gel and the hole scabbed and closed in a few days, even with him jumping and running in the house and going on walks (we used a sock on his foot). I think you are on the right track.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest mirthlesstroll

You can also put moleskin inside his muzzle where it rubs his face to keep the wound from forming again after you get it healed up.

I'd put toddler socks on his feet and maybe a large bandaid to cover the wounds. You can cut it (bandaid) to size.

Ditto. Socks on both feet on the wound side, so he can't rub it with his front dewclaw either.

If you put a bandaid on it, cut most of the adhesive off -- leave only about a quarter of an inch. Won't be hard to remove that way. My angel Batman would pick at small wounds and make them larger, so we often used bandaids for him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.