Demon Update

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Sorry I haven't taken the time to post on Demon's progress. After the post-op bleeding/bruising issue after the amputation, things have gone much better. Once the swelling went down in his remaining front leg, he got around much better. He is still very careful, but that's his personality. He goes up and down the stairs.

On Tuesday, he had the first appt. with the oncologist. They like to start chemo. approx. 2 weeks after surgery. OSU would provide free doxorubicin but not carboplatin. I decided to go with carboplatin instead for a few reasons. I know it's anecdotal, but Morgan never had a recurrence in the 3 years he had after amputation/carboplatin. I'm concerned about potential heart damage that can be caused by doxorubicin given Demon may have a pre-existing heart issue. From my own chemo of doxorubicin and watching the dogs, I think carboplatin tends to have less side effects. Our Vet oncologist considers carboplatin to be the gold standard for treatment. So Demon had his first dose of carbo. on Tuesday. He seemed a little off on Thursday morning but decided it was ok to eat his food if I put shredded cheese on it. This morning, I think he was feeling ok but decided to blackmail me for cheese again. He knows I'll give in. :lol

We got the biopsy report last Friday. The lymph node was clear. I'm holding out hope that we caught it early enough that it hasn't spread.

Guest Speedhoundz

Great update. Glad he is doing well! We decided not to do amputation/chemo with Kane, but our oncologist recommended carboplatin as well and that's what we would have gone with. I believe it takes a lot less time to administer, as well.