Drooling And Panting All The Sudden

I noticed that Ali has been panting and drooling for the past hour. She had diarrhea when I let her out about and hour ago. I don't know if she ate something outside. I don't have any plants in the yard she can eat.

Her gums look normal. She hasn't had any abnormal issues that I have observed in the past few days. Its pretty cool here today, no hot weather. She is inside in the air.

I am getting worried that I need to take her to the ER Vet. She keeps drinking a lot of water to.

Guest Judynyc

Good that you're going to the vet with her.

After diarrhea, drooling and panting could be symptoms of nausea....and drinking too much water could bring on vomiting.

Then you have to remove water or they begin the drink vomit cycle....so only let them lick ice cubes until the vomting has stopped for several hours.

Good luck!

Guest Ashley

I hope that everything is okay with Ali!

Is it always bad for a grey to be panting? Sadie has been doing it lately (though it has been VERY hot in the condo...) When do we have to start to worry?

Were back from the vet. They seem to think she ate something outside. They gave her a shot for the diarrhea and drooling. I am going to stay home and clean while I watch her for a few hours.

The vet said to keep a watch and if she were to get lethargic, vomit or change in any other way, bring her back. Hopefully this resolves on its own.

Same happened to Batman -- either eating a poisonous mushroom (likely) or organophosphate (pesticide) poisoning from neighbor spraying (less likely). Shot of atropine, all better. He was drooling in a faucet-like fashion -- really like somebody had left a faucet on to a steady stream, not just dripping.

Hope your pup will be fine too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest paulamariez

We had a similar situation. Our Husky licked a toad and Bueller either ate or got stung or bit by an insect/spider and started up with the panting and excessive drool. Our vet said the first line of defense is a dose of Benedryl because it's an allergic reaction to something. (if you know that they didn't eat a plant or something) The Benedryl kicked in within a half an hour and the vet had us re-dose the hounds before bed again with the Benedryl. I hope your poor pup is feeling better.