Mosquito Repellent?

Guest Ashley

Guest Ashley

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any mosquito repellent are safe to use on greys. This summer seems to be filled with mosquitoes with all of the rain we have had, and I can't see them on Sadie in the dark. Will a repellent especially for kids be okay? I haven't used anything on her yet, as I want to be sure.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!

I was reading up the other day and haven't tried it yet, but I read Petco carries Farnam Flys-Off Insect Repellent. Supposed to repel mosquitos and gnats as well as flies.

We're treating the yard in the meantime. We got an attachment at Home Depot for the hose and filled it with dish soap and have been spraying the yard with soapy water. The soap is supposed to kill the bugs by dehydrating them. It seems to help.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Ashley
I was reading up the other day and haven't tried it yet, but I read Petco carries Farnam Flys-Off Insect Repellent. Supposed to repel mosquitos and gnats as well as flies.

We're treating the yard in the meantime. We got an attachment at Home Depot for the hose and filled it with dish soap and have been spraying the yard with soapy water. The soap is supposed to kill the bugs by dehydrating them. It seems to help.

I'll look into that insect repellent, thank you :)

Unfortunately, we are in a condo, so no yard to spray for us :( I am glad that it seems to work for you though!

oh my gosh this is freaky, but i just signed on to post a topic about exactly the same thing. looking for a safe thing to use. :)

:lol Crazy!

Even though I'm not crazy about the smell, I use Avon's Skin-so-soft Avon Normally I am a mosquito and gnat magnet, when I wear this stuff, the bugs steer clear.

For Mandy, I use Pugsley's Choice Pugsley's Choice It isn't 100%, but fewer mosquitos are dive-bombing her.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

You want something with NO DEET, which regular kids' mosquito repellants have.

I've heard that the Adams flea/tick mist works but haven't tried it.

My pregnant neighbor will tell you that Avon Skin So Soft does not in fact work. Poor lady is going nuts this summer.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I use skin so soft diluted- sprayed onto a paper towel and then wiped on them. Chloe HATES bugs.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest para611

Try spraying Listerine around the area, not on the hound or kids...it will keep mosquitos away for hours. Any kind of Listerine

Guest Ashley

Thanks a lot, guys :)

I'll try to find that Bert's Bees all natural one, or at least one that is natural with no Deet. I wish we could spray around the property, but living in a condo makes that hard. We could spray the balcony, though. I will do that tonight!

Guest Energy11

OH... I almost forgot! My friend in Florida (in the "boonies") uses those Citronella rings that you burn ... Okay, for those of you who remember the "Pics" we used to buy at the Drive-Ins??? Similar to those, and the Citronella ones are SAFE, and EFFECTIVE! My friend uses them on her patio, with GREAT success! SHE uses them, and the Adams on her greys :-))

Guest BlackandBrindle
I carry a couple of topicals...we used them on the weekend of the fourth and I even sprayed myself. I forgot my legs though.

insect repellants

We use these from Sue :) We use them on hounds and humans :)

Guest gretzky
I use an all natural one found at Walmart by Bert's Bees works good and smells nice

Same here, can also be found at some grocery stores and Walgrens.

Can also be found at Target and CVS. Runs about $7 in MA. It works pretty good but I honestly don't think anything will be 100% this year. The little ba$tards are out all day.

Guest bellenzo

In my experience the Avon Skin so Soft works best. I just got back from a camping trip and it was very effective, more so than the high powered DEEt stuff. I also spray the dogs with Skin so Soft around their back ends when they are being pestered by gnats and flies. The only thing I don't like about it is the smell.

Guest MyBoys

We have lots of those nasty sketters and greenheads at our shore house, I use Avon Skin So Soft. I keep a spray bottle handy. I mix half water and half SSS, it seems to work really well.

I managed to find some repellent containing citronella instead of deet, will this be okay to use on Sadie?

I used a citronella based spray on my greyhound with no problem. Can't remember the name of it - I got it in some organic grocery store - but it did an OK job of keeping the mosquitos and gnats away.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest monasmom

Has anyone tried those Off clip-ons? It has a little fan in it, I think. I was thinking of trying one myself hoping it would also deter mosquitos around the hounds. I haven't actually seen one in a store (just a commercial) so I haven't read ingredients.

Guest Dragonmom

what about tucking a bounce sheet in the collar? my dad uses them when he is out cutting grass and sticks it under his hat.

Guest greytloves

Neems Oil. I know onlynaturalpet.com has it and I believe Lori does at adogsdream. Works well for our mosquito infested areas. Of course, so does air condition, which is what my two opt for!