Removing Sutures

Guest TexasGreytMom

Guest TexasGreytMom

Our girl had a spot removed on the side of her face last week on Wednesday. I tried to call our vet today to find out when the sutures need to be removed, but didn't get thru. I've removed sutures myself in the past but can't recall how long we had to wait before removing them. For some reason, 7-10 days sounds familiar.

Does anyone know? Thanks!

Edited by TexasGreytMom

Yup! Fourteen days usually does it. Still, check with your vet.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest TexasGreytMom
I'll call them tomorrow. I just didn't want to leave them in too long because I know they're difficult to remove if you wait too long. Appreciate the info!

In my (very limited) experience, not leaving them in long enough is a bigger problem. For a small spot on the side of the face, that's not a concern at all. But for larger areas on the chest and abdomen, it may be a consideration.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest TurnerMiller01

We took sutures out of Figgy's leg.. he had a growth removed in FL and then came to PA and the was in our home for weeks ... then the vet said to remove them... it was completely healed... it was almost 3.5 weeks... they were ready to come out... it was not hard to get them out... just used a little Betadine on the sutures first to clean the area and then snip and a little tug and they were out.. it was 5 or 6 of them in his back leg.

eta: to fix my spelling error...lol

Edited by TurnerMiller01

The e-vet said 7 to 10 days for staples in Sam's foot. We waited the full 10 days and that was a problem because he'd been such a good patient: the skin was starting to grow back over the top of the staples, and the tech had to dig to get them out.

GSOD, of course.

Scared the bejeebers out of the tech, who dropped everything he had in his hands (staple puller thingy, Sam's foot, etc.). All over the vet clinic, waiting-room customers were flinching in fear, vet staff folks were getting off the phone when their callers started saying, "OMG, what's going on there?" I had an uncontrollable case of the giggles, and Sam continued to scream when the tech touched his foot with one finger--let alone started digging for another staple.

The poor tech finally got out the last staple (there were only four of them). Then he took Sam out into the waiting room and fed him a cookie in front of all the horrified witnesses, just to show it wasn't nearly as bad as Sam had been claiming.

And that tech is still Sam's favorite when we go in...

Anyway, if the skin looks nicely closed up, you might want to go in sooner rather than later. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Depends on the wound and depth. At least 7 days but usually longer.

I usually wait until the sutures move freely, the wound has dried, and you can no longer see into the hole (so to speak). It's safe to leave them in a bit longer :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Greensleeves

We're always told 10 to 14 days, and we usually schedule the removal for about Day 12, to split the difference.

In fact, several years ago when I had stitches in my finger, I had a routine doctor's appointment on Day 9, and asked if I could have *them* remove the stitches, since we were just a day shy. They refused, and made me come back the next day. (shrug)

If staples or sutures have scabs or skin growing over them sometimes a warm wet washcloth on the area first helps to

soften everything up for easier removal. With some of these cases I have seen doctors just quickly yank out each suture

or staple and the patient usually was not very happy :angry:

Sue

Guest KennelMom

We take them out when it looks healed up and they look ready to come out. If you aren't sure, ask the vet. Never hurts to leave them in a bit longer.

Guest kydie

7 to 10 days, look at the area if it looks healed remove them, it can be diffficult to remove them if they are in to long, then it becomes are real nightmare

Guest TexasGreytMom

I called our vet today and for this particular incision, she recommended 7-10 days. I removed the sutures this evening and the wound looks great. The sutures were loose and the wound was dry.

Thanks for the rule of thumb - to be sure that the incision is dry and the sutures are loose.

Of course, this was a very small incision - for a more extensive wound, I wouldn't risk taking them out myself.

Appreciate all your help!