Mast Cell Tumor

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/mct.htm

Vet says it's more than likely a mast cell tumor. I don't know if it necissarily means cancer, but it looks like it probably does. But I also read that they can remove it completely most of the time. Can anyone share experiences with me? I can't help but be terrified I'm about to lose him and overanalyze each and everything he does as it being a sign he has cancer all through his body and is in pain. But, I'm a bit paranoid about the big C (DH just finished radiation and chemo for lymphoma, we put Schumi down from prostate cancer 8 months ago).

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

If they are able to get it removed with clean margins, you will likely have some medication for a little while but it should be ok. I am hoping for clean margins for you! :grouphug

If they are able to get it removed with clean margins, you will likely have some medication for a little while but it should be ok. I am hoping for clean margins for you! :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Energy11

Also think if you get it removed with clear margins, things will be fine! Sorry to hear about your DH! Been there, done that!

Edited by Energy11

Note that Palladia was recently approved as the first drug for management of cancer in the canine- and it's for mast cell tumors. So- hoping for the best, that you'll get nice, clean margins- but if it's mast cell, then there's a backup plan.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest lanielovesgreys
Note that Palladia was recently approved as the first drug for management of cancer in the canine- and it's for mast cell tumors. So- hoping for the best, that you'll get nice, clean margins- but if it's mast cell, then there's a backup plan.

Cancer research dollars at work! This is very encouraging. Props to science!

First---deep breath :) How old is your pupper? It could be a histiocytoma--common in young dogs (mine had one at age 3) most often seen on the face or legs and they are benign. Did you vet aspirate the lump? MCT tumors are easy to identify under the microscope--most first year vet students can find them (although they do look similar to the histiocytoma cells). Even if it turns out to be MCT you would hope to have a grade I or grade II---must have wide margin as they tend to have a halo of cells around them.

Fingers crossed that it will turn out to nothing to worry about :):) !

YAY for clean margins, keeping you alll in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest IrskasMom

No Advice ( No Experience ) but Tons of gentle Hugs and Prayers. Keeping all Paws ,Fingers and Toes crossed for a clean

Margin. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest lanielovesgreys
First---deep breath :) How old is your pupper? It could be a histiocytoma--common in young dogs (mine had one at age 3) most often seen on the face or legs and they are benign. Did you vet aspirate the lump? MCT tumors are easy to identify under the microscope--most first year vet students can find them (although they do look similar to the histiocytoma cells). Even if it turns out to be MCT you would hope to have a grade I or grade II---must have wide margin as they tend to have a halo of cells around them.

Fingers crossed that it will turn out to nothing to worry about :):) !

He's 6. And he didn't aspirate. He wants us to put hydrocortisone cream on and then we'll remove on Tuesday if it hasn't shrunk by then. Test after. Does that sound ok to you?

If it's just a histio, most of those don't need to be removed, they resolve by themselves in a couple months (yes, 6-8 weeks). MCT needs to be removed with wide wide margins. Before I put him under for a surgery like that (my vet told me three inch margins all the way around and under for MCT) that I'd do the needle aspirate personally. My opinion :) Yours may vary :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I too would do the aspirate. As others have noted, most common lesion that looks like that is a benign histiocytoma, usually go away on their own.

Hugs and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Thank you! I will aspirate on Monday then. It's grown so quickly. Overnight really. And I know it's bothering him.

Guest budsmom

I'm not a vet, but it looks and sounds like the histio that Bud had, and he was 6 too. I'm glad you're going to have them aspirate Monday. Also, I don't think a MST would grow that fast, but a histio would. Let us know the results :grouphug

Guest jettcricket
If it's just a histio, most of those don't need to be removed, they resolve by themselves in a couple months (yes, 6-8 weeks). MCT needs to be removed with wide wide margins. Before I put him under for a surgery like that (my vet told me three inch margins all the way around and under for MCT) that I'd do the needle aspirate personally. My opinion :) Yours may vary :)

I agree on aspirating as well before assuming that it is a mast cell tumor. Mast cell tumors are a bit tougher when it's on their face, head, paws and genitalia. With taking it off with wide margins on his face, it will involve a lot of tissue.

My Jett had mast cell cancer by his penis. First one was removed with no problem, but unfortunately he developed more skin tumors and then had one internally under his arm pit that came back as a grade 3. That's how we lost our boy.

Greyhounds are not commonly known for mast cell cancer.

Most mast cell cancers are curable.

Good luck with your baby....

Guest GreytMuse

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this diagnosis. More prayers on the way for a quick resolution and big hugs for you and Sol. :grouphug

Just wanted to add that your vet might want to aspirate first so they would know what they were dealing with as histios do not need to be excised unless they refuse to go away on their own and they become bothersome and because they need really wide margins for the mct. I would hate to see your pupper go though an extensive sx if it really wasn't warranted. You might want to start giving Benadryl just in case it's a mct---they tend to release histamine's. Keep us updated!

Edited by tbhounds

Guest lanielovesgreys

In talking to my vet, we decided removing it today is the best option (for a lot of reasons). Sol will be in surgery in a few hours. Please keep him in your thoughts. I'm not even ready to consider the idea of losing another one to the big C.

Ex.cell.ent! :D

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Woohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.