How Much Weight Did Your Pup Lose With Amputation?

Cosmo got her staples out Tuesday and she's doing great. While we were there we got a post-amputation weight. Pre-amp she was 64#. Her weight Tuesday was 62#. This was surprising to me. I thought she would have lost more.

Today we took her to another vet who we've never seen before (and hence a scale she'd never been on before) to get the EKG OSU recommends and her weight there was 56.4#.

I wouldn't care except OSU needs the weight to calculate the chemo dosage. I could run her around the state to every vet's scale (and sometimes I feel like I already have) and never know which scale is correct.

I will say that before surgery Cosmo was weighed a few times at different vets and fluctuated between 62 and 65. So if you take an average you would say that the pre-amp weight my vet got was certainly in the ballpark, which might indicate that their scale probably is close to accurate. And she's been eating well these past couple of weeks. Lots of fatty ground beef and such. So she could have put on a couple...

Anyway, just wanted to get an idea of how much weight other dogs lost with their amp. Hopefully it will give me a better idea of which weight to believe. Thanks.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I think Darcy lost about 3 or 4 pounds....but then gained much more than she lost due to the high fat diet :rolleyes: We joked with our vet that it's typical of Darcy to weigh a lot more on 3 legs than she ever did on 4 :rolleyes:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest EmbersDad

are you including the bone mass? the osteo took a bunch of weight off ember, i think it was somewhere around 5-7 lbs....that was in about a week. i think the limb was about 8 lbs. when it was all said and done, i think she lost about 15 lbs.

8 pounds for Polli.

She was 61 and went down to 53. We got her back up to 56. that is where we wanted her to be.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

are you including the bone mass? the osteo took a bunch of weight off ember, i think it was somewhere around 5-7 lbs....that was in about a week. i think the limb was about 8 lbs. when it was all said and done, i think she lost about 15 lbs.

Sorry, Tom, I'm not following what you mean by "are you including the bone mass?". I just know when plunked on a scale before surgery she was 64# all totaled. Plunked on the same scale Tuesday she was 62#, supposedly.

I felt like I should add that Cosmo had a remarkably uncomplicated recovery and has not missed a meal, even when she was recuperating at the vet's. So I don't know if the fact that she hasn't missed a meal might be a factor. I know she has had a much easier go of it than a lot of other pups have and I would guess some of the weight some dogs lost might have been due to lack of appetite? Just guessing, really, though.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Is it possible that she is also still retaining water from the surgery?

Hugs to sweet Cosmo!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest EmbersDad

Sorry, Tom, I'm not following what you mean by "are you including the bone mass?". I just know when plunked on a scale before surgery she was 64# all totaled. Plunked on the same scale Tuesday she was 62#, supposedly.

I felt like I should add that Cosmo had a remarkably uncomplicated recovery and has not missed a meal, even when she was recuperating at the vet's. So I don't know if the fact that she hasn't missed a meal might be a factor. I know she has had a much easier go of it than a lot of other pups have and I would guess some of the weight some dogs lost might have been due to lack of appetite? Just guessing, really, though.

the actual weight of the bone and tissue removed. im shocked at a 2# loss. methinx that scale is wacky. i wish i could remember embers actual numbers, i am guessing, but i seem to remember them saying the limb itself weighed maybe 5-6 lbs

Is it possible that she is also still retaining water from the surgery?

Hugs to sweet Cosmo!

It's had been two weeks since surgery when she weighed 62#. I would think any extra water would have been gone by then.

Tom is correct. Dr. Couto says the limb can weigh in upwards of 10 lbs sometimes....so take it away and that's a 10 lb loss immediately.

I think that scale is wrong.

A front leg may weigh less than the rear leg.

Maggie-Mae weighed 65 lbs before amputation and 56 after. She was very ill for a month after surgery and did not gain any weight back for a long time.

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Guest RynnAndLyra

Pre amputation Sterling weighed 98 lbs. After amputation he weighed 85.4 lbs. He just had his first chemo on Monday and they weighed him there and he is up to 86.4 lbs. He is doing great!!! No side effects from the chemo. His appetite was a little off - but that was about it.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge didn't lose much ...maybe 6 (front leg)...but then he lost a few more the week after...and went down to 64 from the original 72.

Scales CAN fluctuate depending on their last calibration though. Maybe put a 20 pound bag of dog food from the vet's "store" and see what the scale says it weighs?

I doubt very much that a few pounds either way is going to matter for her dose. So if she's 56 or 58 or 62...that's not a big difference. I suppose you better ask though!!!

Given how fine boned greyhounds are, I wouldn't be surprised at the small weight loss.

Scales vary widely, and I have found I can put George on the scale at my vets three times in a row and get three weights.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Tracey, if you have a bathroom scale, one easy way to get her weight is to get on the scale and weigh yourself. Then pick her up and get back on the scale. The difference should be what she weighs.

Also, if you're at the vet's, and assuming they sell bagged food, have them weigh a bag of food on their scale to see if it is correct.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Tracey, if you have a bathroom scale, one easy way to get her weight is to get on the scale and weigh yourself. Then pick her up and get back on the scale. The difference should be what she weighs.

I considered this, but there will be a Cosmo-shaped hole in my bathroom wall if I do.

I spoke to Dr. Vilar at OSU this afternoon and he thinks given her pre-amp weight, a loss of about 6 pounds would be typical. What I was told at the vet's office who did the EKG is that when the humans who work there test the scale it tends to come up a bit light, but that when they put a 50lb bag of food on the scale it's dead on. Dr. Vilar said Cosmo will need to be weighed right before every chemo, so before her appointment I will probably take her to another vet nearby that my vet has sent us to in the past and have her hop on their scale. And I'll try the sack of food on his scale as well. Hopefully I'll get a consensus.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

When I had chemo, I was weighed before each one and the dose was tweaked accordingly. The Vet ONC will weigh her.