Laying Down On Walk

This morning while walking Missy and Garry, Garry just stopped and put himself down on the grass. It was about 9am...he doesn't do well in the heat and I usually walk them earlier. He does have a corn on his back foot and I think that has been bothering him again. I have been soaking and putting propolos on it. It was hulled two times.I try to walk them both on grass when possible. When we got home, they lied on the back lawn for a while. Missy was running and attempting to engage Garry..who was not interested. He is acting normal otherwise. I called the vet to bring him in today..maybe he needs his corn hulled again. My vet is not in until Friday so I have an appt. for then..will keep an eye on him, but I am worried about my quiet man....

Guest Energy11

Staggerlee AND Curfew (both have corns) do that (lie down on longer walks). Staggerlee will be nine in August, (Just got back PERFECT blood work :-)) but, the boy does NOT like to walk. Even though we hull the corns, his feet seem to hurt him.

Curfew ... well, he is on two different meds which tend to make him tired. Phenobaritol and Enalapril, one for seizure control, the other for blood pressure. He has very short endurance these days, especially in the heat.

We WERE going to walk them on the property this morning, but I thought it was too humid. Sounds like Garry's corns hurt him, and he hates the heat (like me :-)

Good luck at the vets!

Guest Harry702

Harry does this occasionally if it's just too hot for him. We usually give him a few minutes to chill and head back home.

Opie has done this upon occasion. Once he had something stuck in his foot, and we pulled it out when we got home. A few other times he has just sat down on the grass in the front yard when DH is taking him out for his final pee before we go to work. He loves to lay in the grass in the sun, so sometimes he thinks that now is just the right time I guess!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest ss556

Alan had started doing that about 2 yrs. ago - he didn't have corns, but he just couldn't do the entire walk anymore. so then we didn't do the long walk anymore.

A lot of hounds will do this in the heat. I think they're smart enough to realize that they're getting too hot and need to cool down a little.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mysymba

My Symba did this a lot too when his corn was hurting him....we bought the Therapaw for that one paw and now he high steps on his walks....it cushions the corn until you can get it hulled out.

I would probably try a therapaw boot and see if it's the corns or the heat, because if it's the heat, you certainly don't want to force them to continue...just make the walks shorter.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Thank you. I think I will look into the therapaw for both dogs.

I understand about the heat..I typically walk them early in the morning, shorten the walk as needed and walk again at night when the sun goes down. They are both black dogs..I think I put the AC on more for them then us!

This morning was much cooler in NY than it has been, but it may still have been too warm for him since it was later in the morning (9 rather than 7)

thanks!

I walked them this morning @ 6:30..nice and cool in NY this AM..Garry seemed fine. They ran on the grass as usual when I first opened the gate..initiated by Garry. I did my best to keep them on the grass since both have corns. I did notice a small limp when walking on the street..so it is time for another hulling :angry: . I hate corns. He played in the back yard after returning and then lounged in the wet grass while I brushed them both. So I guess Garry is doing ok.

Sounds like he just doesn't like the heat I can't blame him for that, I don't like it either!

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Redrabbit

Buster just turned 11 and our walks are becoming shorter as time goes by. He starts out all gung-ho but before too long he is plodding along. I dont think his brain has gotten the message that his body just isnt up for quite so much these days.

Rachel

Guest littlesyd85
I would go have the corn hulled... I got to the point where I avoided walks with Monarch because it was too hard on her when she had the corn (I should mention that my girl only has three legs as it is, so the corn made things far worse). After we had the corn hulled she was like another dog and loves her walks again.

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia does this when she is hot too. It doesn't feel hot to us, and the reality is it is not, but for her if it's over 70 and she is in the sun it't too hot. We just giver her 5 and away we go again.

I just returned from the vet with Garry..his corn was much deeper than last time. I guess I waited too long to have it hulled...I showed the vet the bee propolis I have just started putting on his corn. She said she had read up on it and assured me it couldn't hurt him at all..so now that the corn is hulled I am hoping putting the propolis directly in the "crater" will help.

Question about therapaws: should they wear one on each foot (both back legs) to even out their walking? Garry has his corn on his left back leg. Missy has them on both!

All the pictures I've seen of dogs wearing therapaws, they've had them just on the foot with the corn.

Glad you were able to get Gerry's corn seen to - nasty things, sneaky and devious! Looking forward to hearing if the bee propolis seems to help!

Guest paulamariez

Tiger has done this a few times. Usually when he's really hot, he notices a cool spot on the grass and lays down. I usually stop and let him chillax for a little while and then encourage him to get up. I take him right home when he does that. I know it's too hot or uncomfortable for my guys!