Asprin

Guest UESBrindle

Guest UESBrindle

This weekend William overworked his legs wen when we brought him to a sand bar. He seemed to keep walking it off, but was limping and holding up a paw a bit. We checked- no cuts or scrapes, just seems to be his muscles.

We gave him a low-dose, 85mg asprin 2x per day saturday and one this morning. I just wanted to check, becase I see that "buffered " asprin is *what to have* but when I went to the drugstore this evening, they didn't have low-dose Buffered, only 325mg, but they did have low-dose, and some that are made to be especially easy on the stomach.

Which should I get? and also, what does "buffered" mean? is it a coating thing? I just want to make sure I have the right stuff in the future!

Also, if I'm asking for something from my vet just to have on hand in the future, what should I ask for? One person we were with said she has Rymadol (sp?) that's a chewable liver-flavored?

Thanks!

Guest Energy11

You can use (1) 81 mg COATED aspirin twice a day, tops, according to my vets. One doesn't like it at all, but says, it is okay for a short time.

ME? I keep Deramaxx around for emergencies. It is my favorite. Of course, it is a script from the vets, and he/she knows if it is okay for your grey to take it.

Good Luck, but ONLY the 81 mg, coated, and not more than twice a day.

Poor baby, but at least he had fun!

You can use (1) 81 mg COATED aspirin twice a day, tops, according to my vets. One doesn't like it at all, but says, it is okay for a short time.

I have never heard this before. I've used much higher doses under the guidance of my vet since Neyla can't take NSaids (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacamm are the common ones).

The key thing is it has to be buffered. One adult (325 mg) or multiple low-dose (81 mg) depends on the situation I guess. I think the benefit of the low dose is that they are extended release so they last longer, but they may not all be like that.

I'm not an expert by any means, I would check with your vet on what they think. Personally , I think you need to be careful with any of this stuff. If you're giving NSAIDS for any length of time, you need to do blood work to check liver/kidney values so some vets may not write a generic scrip.

I personally like Tramadol better for pain relief, but it doesn't offer the anti-inflammatory effect that the non-steroidal drugs or even aspirin do and that are useful for muscle injuries.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Greensleeves

My vets are with Energy's--they prefer the prescription NSAIDs (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) to aspirin. *ALL* NSAIDS carry a risk of bleeding, but the risk with aspirin is GREATER than the risk with the prescriptions.

Back when I started on GT, the recommended "grey-safe" aspirin was Ascriptin, but it's been 7+ years since we've given it to our dogs (I happen to like it quite a lot as a human pain killer, however! ;)).

Guest Energy11

I know ... all vets have different views. My two, just don't like giving aspirin. I tend to go along with that they say for mine, but, if the aspirin is working for your babies, why not? I, personally, again, that is just me, perfer Deramaxx. I have had absolutely no problems with it.

So, I say... whatever works best for you guys, works, and, of course, whatever your vets say!

I have never heard this before. I've used much higher doses under the guidance of my vet since Neyla can't take NSaids (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacamm are the common ones).

The key thing is it has to be buffered. One adult (325 mg) or multiple low-dose (81 mg) depends on the situation I guess. I think the benefit of the low dose is that they are extended release so they last longer, but they may not all be like that.

I'm not an expert by any means, I would check with your vet on what they think. Personally , I think you need to be careful with any of this stuff. If you're giving NSAIDS for any length of time, you need to do blood work to check liver/kidney values so some vets may not write a generic scrip.

I personally like Tramadol better for pain relief, but it doesn't offer the anti-inflammatory effect that the non-steroidal drugs or even aspirin do and that are useful for muscle injuries.

Tramadol is THE best for really bad pain, like when Max had Osteo, AND, unlike aspirin or NSAIDS, you can use it with Prednisone.

My Vet said to definately use buffered aspirin. Do not use the enteric coated since a dog digestive tract does not breakdown the enteric coating like humans & it's useless.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest BatesieGreys

I would stick with the 81 (or 85) mg aspirin unless the vet specifically recommends a higher dosage. The 325 mg may be fine in some cases, but I would never give a dog that high dose without checking first to make sure it was okay. For a short time, it seems to be fine to give aspirin, but I would try to get something from the vet to keep on hand. (Go with others' suggestions because I'm new to this). Some places DO sell buffered low-dose/baby aspirin, so I would definitely go hunting for that. Call around if necessary to save you time. Take care. Hope William feels better soon.

My vets are with Energy's--they prefer the prescription NSAIDs (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) to aspirin. *ALL* NSAIDS carry a risk of bleeding, but the risk with aspirin is GREATER than the risk with the prescriptions.

Back when I started on GT, the recommended "grey-safe" aspirin was Ascriptin, but it's been 7+ years since we've given it to our dogs (I happen to like it quite a lot as a human pain killer, however! ;)).

Ascriptin fan here too if you're going to use asprin

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

i have always given one adult buffered aspirin and it has done the trick. in the past my saluki and welsh terrier responded well when their old aching bones were acting up. i just popped one down my grey's throat the other day, repeated it the next day and she has been as good as new. i stick w/ plain old buffered aspirin, as needed and have been very lucky w/ excellent results. my vet waits until there is really a problem before he goes on to something stronger.

Guest RocketDog

I keep low-dose 81mg aspirin in our doggie first aid kid, along with tramadol and deramaxx. I primarily use the aspirin for 'little' injuries, like if one of the dogs did some flying cartwheels and seems a little stiff. I save the prescription stuff for more serious injuries.

Guest Fasave

I'd be very careful with aspirin. My guy is on a 1/4 of a baby aspirin (20mg) daily for blood thinning due to a host of problems. I've been warned by the various vets he sees to be very careful NOT to combine it with other anti-inflamatory meds like previcox. On the flip side, I've used previcox for my other guy's strains and it works very well.

Guest UESBrindle

We just heard back from the vet. We'll be getting Metacam for future bouts of strained muscles after running. How long do you usually give for sore muscles? I would imagine daily until they stop limping-- but not sure.

Guest Energy11

Last time one of mine pulled a muscle, I gave Deramaxx (same family as the Metacam), until the soreness/limping stopped. Glad you have the Metacam. I have it, too, and really like it!