Glucosamine After Amputation?

We took Cosmo to our vet yesterday just to have him check her out. I'm a nervous Mom, what can I say? He thought everything looked really good, but he mentioned as an aside that her remaining front leg is now bearing 60% of her weight. To that end, I am thinking that we should probably start her on Glucosamine.

My question is this: a couple of months ago DH bought himself a giant (375 count) bottle of pills that are 750mg glucosamine and 750 mg of MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane). Can I give her these? Considering the special diet and all the other supplements we're adding to her daily regimen, if I can spare the expense of having to buy special glucosamine for her I would really like to. Thanks in advance for the input.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Just my opinion here, but based on my reading and discussions with a vet and a doctor, there is no hard evidence that glucosamine really does much. Yes, there are MANY folks who swear by it. I gave it to my Kramer for YEARS because he had two major orthopedic surgeries, and it didn't really seem to do much. Didn't seem to hurt either, so...take that for what it's worth!

I also asked my doctor about it for myself, and he said I shouldn't waste my money.

I bought some for George, and the combination of the MSM/Glucosamine seemed to mess with his already tricky bladder issues, so I stopped it.

Why not drop an email off to OSU and find out what they think? I know they'd be happy to answer you!!

Hugs,

Susan

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest sheila

I think that the stuff your DH bought would be fine. I have heard that not all glucosamine supplements are equal though, with some having lower mgs than are listed on the packaging. Someone posted a link about a study done on this once, I think it might have been achicks.

I know when Dr Couto was asked at a luncheon he spoke at he chuckled. He said ortho says it helps, he hasn't seen any hard evidence it does. On ethe other hand it doesn't hurt so he isn't opposed. You are going to get conflicting views like with all other supplements. Laura had great success with a horse supplement for Hoss who was over 90 lb. I can't remember the name, but I will find out for you.

One of the most important things to keep bones and joints in top condition is exercise. I've also wondered about calcium supplements.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I know when Dr Couto was asked at a luncheon he spoke at he chuckled. He said ortho says it helps, he hasn't seen any hard evidence it does. On ethe other hand it doesn't hurt so he isn't opposed. You are going to get conflicting views like with all other supplements. Laura had great success with a horse supplement for Hoss who was over 90 lb. I can't remember the name, but I will find out for you.

One of the most important things to keep bones and joints in top condition is exercise. I've also wondered about calcium supplements.

Janet that might be Acti -Flex 4000? I give it to my dogs and they have always done well on it. Tracey was asking about using a human supplement she already has on hand. I have tried that too and found my dogs do better on the Acti - Flex. Not cheap Tracey, but I get it here.

http://www.horsemenstackinc.com/site/conte...geVar=greyhound

I just want to add that Glucosamine helps my old bones / joints, but I can't tolerate it.

I think it may help some people, and some dogs, but who knows for sure. I've been taking it for years, and before I started, my knees were really bad, and the doctor said I'd probably need surgery. Well, I haven't needed surgery, in fact, my knees are doing pretty well. So I do think it's helped me. I gave it to Winnie every day too (the same kind I took), along with the artemisinin and fish oil. And she did great!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thanks for the input everyone! I guess since it can't hurt, might help I'll get her on the glucosamine/msm and see how that goes. Janet, exercise should not be a problem. She keeps trying to trick me into going for a walk when I take her out for potty. I think the problem is just making her wait till she's healed.

I think it may help some people, and some dogs, but who knows for sure. I've been taking it for years, and before I started, my knees were really bad, and the doctor said I'd probably need surgery. Well, I haven't needed surgery, in fact, my knees are doing pretty well. So I do think it's helped me. I gave it to Winnie every day too (the same kind I took), along with the artemisinin and fish oil. And she did great!

I've already got her on the fish oil and I just ordered the artemisinin on Friday. Diane (Burpdog) also told me about the Transfer Factor but said that has to wait until after chemo. Is the artemisinin supposed to be for the rest of her life? I've been told the dosage but not the duration. Thanks!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest greybookends

My vet highly recommends it for all older dogs and he is old school. I give my guys the same stuff I would take. Glucosamine and chondroiton. It is expensive but the stuff they market specifically for pets is even more expensive.

Janet that might be Acti -Flex 4000? I give it to my dogs and they have always done well on it. Tracey was asking about using a human supplement she already has on hand. I have tried that too and found my dogs do better on the Acti - Flex. Not cheap Tracey, but I get it here.

http://www.horsemenstackinc.com/site/conte...geVar=greyhound

I just want to add that Glucosamine helps my old bones / joints, but I can't tolerate it.

It's Cosequin this version is for horses, you can get a canine one but the horse one is cheaper and since it is a powder more easy to adjust the amount.

I would start with what you have, and later switch to something like Cosequin as it will be cheaper.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Winterwish

It does seem to cause diarhhea in some dogs,as it did to mine. But others,not at all. Maybe try a very small dose at first?

also,coincidently,I was just reading up on glucosimine chondroitin for my own information and was reading that the chondroitin does have a similar action as anticoagulants,and may effect bleeding time.

Reason I mention this is in case Cosmo is on a medication already that has that side effect,or an issue of concern regarding platelets and such,and that the chondroitin may be possibly contraindicated.

(this info is new to me having just been reading it today,so I really don't know the evidence,stats and such,but do want to mention it.)

I hope your adorable Cosmo is feeling better each and every day. :dogcookie:dogcookie

Edited by Winterwish