Need Help Fast

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy it has been a long day here too. We took Maggie in and we seen the vet at 9 am. they did a urine test and a blood test. They did a CBC test and a Blood Chemistry test and then they had to re do it..... a problem on their end. anyway I just got home with Maggie again and the vet said there is no reason showing up in her blood work for her to have had the cluster seizures. Her only thought is that "MAYBE" she was starting to have a stroke and she said that "sometimes" that will trigger a seizure instead ...! And the seizure was better than the stroke......so we are to keep a close eye on her and see what happens. She said she may NEVER have another seizure in her life. ( we do know that Maggie had a Mini stroke about 2 weeks ago with no damage, it caused her to stumble and almost fall) but she recovered quickly. Her urine test came back with her PH at 8 ... a little high but good for Maggie because she has been up to 9 last year.

So we are to keep her on her usual meds for the kidney failure and nothing else except watch her. IF she does have another seizure she said we can give her 1/2 Valium either orally or as a suppository. So as for now that is all we know! thanks again for all your prayers for Maggie, they are greatly appreciated! Sharon

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Thank you for letting us know what was up. It's tough to do that when you're exhausted, and we really appreciate it.

The Vet - get her cell number.

Guest Energy11
If she had a mini stroke a couple of weeks ago and a seisure just now....have you had her BP checked?

I only ask because a lot of vets don't do that test.

Yes, the blood pressure IS a good point! Curfew's was OFF THE CHARTS, and now is on Enalapril 20 mg, daily. Seems to make a huge difference. I take his BP everynight, and it has been very good.

Love and prayers for you and Maggie!

As for the Bp in greyhounds, I have never heard of checking that! What is NORMAL BP for a grey? and do you need a special cuff for them? of do you use a human one? thanks for the info and prayers!

Maggie is doing fine today, just does not want to eat breakfast anymore, but she is eating Dinner, so I am just gonna increase that amount a little.

and yes to the cell phone of the vet!

As for the Bp in greyhounds, I have never heard of checking that! What is NORMAL BP for a grey? and do you need a special cuff for them? of do you use a human one? thanks for the info and prayers!

Maggie is doing fine today, just does not want to eat breakfast anymore, but she is eating Dinner, so I am just gonna increase that amount a little.

Elevated BP goes hand in hand with kidney disease.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest Energy11

Dr. Karen says, she is happy with anything (in her office) under 150 (the top number). I use an infant cuff and take the blood pressure by palpation. I was trained in this as a paramedic, and did this many many times with infants and toddlers when I worked at the childrens' hospital in Florida. It would be extremely hard for a layperson to do this on a dog/grey. But, it would be a good idea to ask you vet, if they have an automatic BP machine like mine does, to take her blood pressure, just to be sure. They ALWAYS allow for the anxiety, etc., when they are in the vets office. When we go to the docs, they call it "White Coat Syndrome ..." we are anxious, so therefore, our blood pressures are elevated.

Curfew's (top numbers) have been around 120 lately, and I am happy with that.

Hope this helps explain a little. D

Dr. Karen says, she is happy with anything (in her office) under 150 (the top number). I use an infant cuff and take the blood pressure by palpation. I was trained in this as a paramedic, and did this many many times with infants and toddlers when I worked at the childrens' hospital in Florida. It would be extremely hard for a layperson to do this on a dog/grey. But, it would be a good idea to ask you vet, if they have an automatic BP machine like mine does, to take her blood pressure, just to be sure. They ALWAYS allow for the anxiety, etc., when they are in the vets office. When we go to the docs, they call it "White Coat Syndrome ..." we are anxious, so therefore, our blood pressures are elevated.

Curfew's (top numbers) have been around 120 lately, and I am happy with that.

Hope this helps explain a little. D

YES thanks so much for the info>! I will ask the next time I am at the vets office, Sharon