Sick Foster - Vomiting/diarrhea/lethargy/dehydration

Sandy needs some help!

Last night the foster home called and said that Sandy had been vomiting with diarrhea most of the afternoon. We got her to the e-vet, who put her on fluids, took blood work, etc. She was lethargic and largely unresponsive. Everything came back normal.

Today, the regular vet today continued with fluids and took X-rays and said that her stomach is hugely distended with gas, and there's some "mottling" of the stomach wall (I think that's what he said?). He said it's not normal, but he has no idea what it is. They haven't totally ruled out a blockage, though it wasn't apparent from the X-ray.

She's being moved now to a 24-hour care facility in RI because the regular vet was worried she's not going to make it through the night. She's getting worse instead of better. They're testing for pancreas function and Addison's disease.

Sandy was spayed 2 weeks ago, after a haul from Tri-State. She's just 2 years old, all shots up to date and was wormed.

Any ideas? What else should we be testing for? I feel like we're running out of time to figure out what's going on.

CIMG2342.jpg

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit surprised they have waited so long to open her up.

Sending prayers.

It's just about 24 hours from her initial symptoms. Neither vet mentioned anything about surgery at this point - she's heading to the 24-hour care vet now, I'll inquire about exploratory surgery.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest KennelMom

We had a foster that had a blockage and really showed no symptoms until he was critically sick - vomiting/Big D. He only had a partial blockage which is why his symptoms took so long to manifest. It was carpet from his track crate. He'd been here at least a month, so it was sitting in there for a long time. He's already had his neuter surgery as well...The blockage was where the stomach meets the intestines...some of the carpet had started to move through, some hadn't and had gotten stuck. They removed a large section of his intestines that was dead, but unfortunately he didn't make it through recovery :(

Keep us posted...I'll be praying :hope

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Energy11

Wow... hard one to call! Might be something to do with the spay??

At most, that gas needs to be relieved. Please, keep us posted!

Guest Energy11
I'd push for them to open her up and take a look. Have they put down a tube to decompress her stomach? I'm worried.

DITTO on decompressing her stomach.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Could the "mottling" of the stomach be ulcers?

Do they have her on Sucralfate or something of the sorts?

OK, I'm making a list of things to run through with the new vet. Thanks guys.

She was on pain meds after she spay, but hasn't been on them in week's time or so. I'll confirm with the foster home.

There was some discussion about mushrooms in her yard and her possibly eating some, but neither vet saw any signs of poisoning. Could be that they've missed something.

She's been on IV fluids, flagyl, anti-vomiting meds and that's all that I know of - the vet seemed to think the mottling was because of the stomach being so stretched. But that sounded like a guess to me. ??

We've used Ocean State before and they've been top notch, so I'm hoping they can pick up on something that the other two vets missed.

I too would probably be thinking about opening her up ..... but that is just our unfortunate experience that something was indeed in there.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TurnerMiller01

many prayers for that adorable little girl...

C'mon little girl.. fight ...

many many prayers and positive vibes your way... :hope:hope:hope:hope:candle:candle:candle:candle

When was she wormed and with what?

Did she have heartworm medicine or flea treatment right before this happened?

Can the foster mom check her house room by room and see if there is anything missing or damaged... for example, see if a rug is frayed or yarn/string is missing. See if soap/combs/sponge are missing from the bathroom. Candles, garbage, mulch, pencils, pens, paper clips ...

Was she vaccinated when spayed? Possible acute vaccinosis?? TBD crisis? Hard to tell without HCT, PLT & RBC & WBC.

She was, yes.

I was told the blood panel done by the e-vet came back totally within normal ranges.

Still waiting to hear when she's arrived at Ocean State...

When was she wormed and with what?

Did she have heartworm medicine or flea treatment right before this happened?

She had iverhart max, and wasn't due for heartworm/frontline again for another few weeks.

They swear they don't think she got anything, but it still happens. Heck, like Heather said, it could be something from the track too.

Guest 4baddogs

Oh, this makes me sick. :weep This is EXACTLY what was going on with Nate when we adopted him and we were told "it's just IBS" so we treated him for that for a year - until they opened him up and it was a gigantic tumor. The vets had never seen anything like it EVER. It was attached to every abdominal organ and his aorta. There was nothing they could do so we opted to not wake him from surgery. He was almost 3 :(

I pray to God this isn't remotely similar to what's going on with Sandy.

Edited by 4baddogs

She's in with the vet now getting his first evaluation. The vet also has a greyhound of his own, so that's a bonus!

Guest Mommy2Gideon
She's in with the vet now getting his first evaluation. The vet also has a greyhound of his own, so that's a bonus!

How greyt is that! Hope he finds some answers soon.

Ok, so the vet at Ocean State wants to rerun X-rays first. From there, an ultrasound and/or an endoscope. Vet doesn't want to open at this point, but it's on the table if needed. The suspicious area on the X-rays is the stomach, and I guess they can remove some foreign bodies via endoscope, so that will be his preferred route.

Confirmed that the blood levels were OK/normal. No liver function issues consistent with poisoning. They're running a few other blood tests (didn't catch the names) and we'll have the results for the Addison's tomorrow.

So basically, we're waiting and seeing still.

:(