Penny Is Having Seizures

Guest Tuxsmom

Guest Tuxsmom

thank you so much, everyone.

we are off to the vet. i will mention babesia, definitely.

i thought i had valium, but i looked up the pill id (isnt the internet great) and it was a muscle relaxer, but it was cyclo-something...and is not used in dogs, so i couldn't give that to her.

she slept soundly through the night, even snored (which is normal). however, this morning, she is stiff and yelping again...much like the first day these symptoms appeared. she is not spasming like last night, yet.

i hope my vet can give me some answers.... thank you all again so much, i would have been in tears all night without you guys.

Guest MyBoys

I also have a seizure hound who is 10 years old, he is my second seizure boy. We adopted him 9 months ago and he started having seizures the day after we brought him home. When his seizures would start he would begin to fall over so I would help him to lay down, I knew as soon as I saw this what was happening, while laying down his neck would spasum and his eyes would roll into his head, also his front feet would curl under and his body seemed to tremble, it is very upsetting to watch but keep in mind they do not feel anything. Stay calm and keep her safe until the seizure is over. My vet told me with our first seizure hound not to touch him until I was sure he was out of it completly, I would do that by moving my hand very close to his eyes to see if he followed my hand. Our boy is on phenobarb and has not has a seizure since Nov., it took a few tries to get the dosage right. I would however get to your vet ASAP, if it is seizures the sooner the better to get her on meds.

Hi, I hope that Penny's seizures are diminishing or gone now. She's not a Greyhound, but our 12 and 1/2 year old Labrador has had epilepsy for 6 years. She is on a holistic treatment of Chinese herbs, not phenobarbitol. She has not had a seizure in the 5 years that she has been on Chinese herbs. I thought I'd just give you another option idea instead of phenobarb.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest snakes

I hope Penny is doing ok and your trip to the vet went ok.

My FedX started having what i thought might be muscle cramps in his back legs/belly. I took pictures and video which really helped the vets see what was happening. I kept a log of duration of each episode, time and date and anything i could think of too in case there was a pattern.

During his episodes he is conscious, will respond to me, and if i try to leave him will try to follow (not successful). His episodes just consist of going very stiff with arched back, especially in the rear end. He would have an outstretched neck and his eyes would usually be dilated and wide. The episodes usually last 2-3minutes but he would be normal afterwards.

We never found any reason from blood tests or neurologist exam (not helpfull). We started him on Potassium Bromide, which unfortunatly had some undesirable side effects of GI upset and increased anxiety. We have started homeopathic remedies now and our latest treatment with this has SIGNIFICANTLY helped his anxiety and we haven't had a seizure in one month now.

thank you so much, everyone.

we are off to the vet. i will mention babesia, definitely.

i thought i had valium, but i looked up the pill id (isnt the internet great) and it was a muscle relaxer, but it was cyclo-something...and is not used in dogs, so i couldn't give that to her.

she slept soundly through the night, even snored (which is normal). however, this morning, she is stiff and yelping again...much like the first day these symptoms appeared. she is not spasming like last night, yet.

i hope my vet can give me some answers.... thank you all again so much, i would have been in tears all night without you guys.

I hope she starts to feel better soon.

And just a side note, PLEASE don't give any valium or other drug until you've spoken with your vet. The valium that was mentioned in prior posts was probably prescribed for that particular dog and it's not something you want to try to mess with yourself. It can be prescribed for epileptic dogs, but I'm sure dosages and usage differ from dog to dog and you'd be better off letting your vet give you the info you need to use it.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Energy11

Yes, DO keep us posted!

JUST REMEMBER, if a dog/human is seizing, they are NOT breathing, either.

Not always the case. It can happen, but not always the case.

True, and thanks for pointing that out. This usually only happens during "full blown" seizures (Grand Mal). It doesn't happen with focal (localized) seisures ... No matter, seizures ARE scary.

Guest Tuxsmom

Hi, everyone. I am very much relieved today. I don't have complete answers...but I have a plan of action and more knowledge.

My vet says it was most definitely seizure activity. Penny had a milder form this morning before her trip to the vet.

When my vet examined her, she manipulated her neck every which way, and every other muscle in her body with no response, stiffness, or pain.

Also, today's bloodwork came back completely normal again. So she ruled out muscle spasms.

She started Penny on phenobarbital as a precaution. She said it takes a while for it to build up in her system, so I have to watch her very closely for repeat episodes for now. If they are any worse than last night, I would need to get emergency attention. She said dogs can actually die during a seizure..so to be alert.

She is referring us to a neurologist to check for the possibility of things like brain tumors. She is concerned that this is coming on suddenly over a 3 day period at Penny's age, with no prior history. I can't afford to have that done right away, but it's on the to-do list for the next few weeks.

She gave me a copy of Penny's bloodwork in case I do have to go to an evet at anytime this week.

Penny is all bouncy and happy-go-lucky now. I am hoping she doesn't have another episode tonight.

Thank you to all for getting me through it! whew.... :grouphug

Did he tell you about the side effects of the medication? She may start to act a little drunk after a few doses. Those effects will subside as soon as her body adjusts to the medication. It should take about 2 weeks for it to reach maximum effectiveness. She should have her level checked at that time to make sure she's receiving enough medication to control her seizures. You may have to adjust her dose after that time.

How old is Penny?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It's good to have a plan!!!

Make sure to keep a log from now on:

pheno dosage

when given

any reactions or new behaviors

complete description of ANY seizure activity - day, time, length, severity, time to full recovery

All this info can help in refining her meds.

Our Libby had seizures like you describe - her muscles would spasm and she would fall over, every muscle in her body would tense up and she would sometimes curl in peculiar positions. They were fairly mild, and lasted exactly 8 minutes from start to finish. She'd be back to her old self within 30 minutes or so. We monitored her seizures for 3 years coming about 6 weeks apart before she began clustering and needing medication. The pheno worked wonders for her and she didn't have another seizure after we started the meds.

Most greys with idiopathic seizures can live long, healthy, happy, active lives. So your girl is going to be fine!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Tuxsmom

Judy - Penny will be 9 in August. My vet did not mention those side effects. Thanks for the pre-warning! She is set up for an analysis on July 24th...4 weeks from now.

Chris - it's funny you mention the journal... I had already pulled out an empty one and labeled it "Penny's Book". I'm starting it tonight.

I am wondering if phenobarbital right off the bat is the right thing. I hate to medicate if this was just a fluke thing. But I also want to be safe rather than sorry. My vet seemed to have no hesitation prescribing it at all. She did state that her 10 separate episodes, though short individually, were a significant event because of the number of them she had in a row. Plus, 3 days in a row. So maybe it is safest to medicate immediately...

Guest Energy11
Judy - Penny will be 9 in August. My vet did not mention those side effects. Thanks for the pre-warning! She is set up for an analysis on July 24th...4 weeks from now.

Chris - it's funny you mention the journal... I had already pulled out an empty one and labeled it "Penny's Book". I'm starting it tonight.

I am wondering if phenobarbital right off the bat is the right thing. I hate to medicate if this was just a fluke thing. But I also want to be safe rather than sorry. My vet seemed to have no hesitation prescribing it at all. She did state that her 10 separate episodes, though short individually, were a significant event because of the number of them she had in a row. Plus, 3 days in a row. So maybe it is safest to medicate immediately...

I would agree on the Phenobarbitol. Curfew is up to 180 mg/daily, which is his theraputic dose. It took a while to work him up (levels were always coming in too low), BUT, since he has been on it, NO seisure-like activity! :-) As you vet may have told you, you need to check the "levels" of this drug in his blood when directed. I will be taking Curfew in again next Wed., for levels and to see how his liver and kidneys are tolerating the drug. Penny will see a bit sedated AT FIRST, but that wears off. Be prepared for pretty big (dialated) pupils too :-))

Good luck! Did the vet prescribe any Valium (by mouth or for rectal use, just in case)? I feel VERY good about having both here.

Hug Penny for us! D

Guest MyBoys

My boy is 10.5 and has been on phenobarb since Oct. 2008, he has shown no ill side effects what so ever except for the fact that he has not had any seizures, he is happy, active and never misses a meal.

I think putting her on the meds is the right course. She's having so many episodes in a short amount of time that untreated you run the risk of her clustering and sometimes those can be really hard to stop and some can't be stopped and you lose a dog. At her age, until you find out whether there is something else causing them, if she were mind I'd medicate. Most dogs who have idiopathic epilepsy are between the ages of 3 - 6, so 9 is not within the normal range and it's important to find out if something else is causing these.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I think putting her on the meds is the right course. She's having so many episodes in a short amount of time that untreated you run the risk of her clustering and sometimes those can be really hard to stop and some can't be stopped and you lose a dog.

Ditto that.

Your description really sounded like muscle spasms to me, but I wasn't there. If you and your vet are convinced she's having seizures, then I'd medicate.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tuxsmom
I think putting her on the meds is the right course. She's having so many episodes in a short amount of time that untreated you run the risk of her clustering and sometimes those can be really hard to stop and some can't be stopped and you lose a dog.

Ditto that.

Your description really sounded like muscle spasms to me, but I wasn't there. If you and your vet are convinced she's having seizures, then I'd medicate.

and you could still be right. I just honestly don't have the expertise to know :unsure

Just out of curiousity..if it were muscle spasms...what causes them and how would they be treated?

I just feel like I'm taking the "better safe than sorry" approach..but I don't want to cause her harm with a misdiagnosis, either.

thanks for any input! i am a work in progress.....always.

Muscle spasms would be treated with 1-muscle relaxant to relieve immediate symptoms, and then 2-bloodwork, range-of-motion tests, etc. to pinpoint cause.

It isn't likely that muscle spasms would just stop like Penny's did. You'd expect them to continue. In that aspect, your experience does sound more like seizure or stroke activity, and it seems a good idea to try pheno to prevent recurrence.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.