What To Use To Get Rid Of Ants?

OMG- i noticed some ants in my kitchen. I'm here for 17 years and I have never had any bugs at all.

What can I use that is safe for the dogs to be around?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I have been known to use the not-safe stuff and just block the dogs from the area until the ants are gone.

Terro works well and is pretty safe -- altho you have to keep the dogs away from it because you want the ants to eat it! Viscous liquid in a little bottle, boric acid based. You put a drop or two on a little bit of cardboard and let the ants take it back to their nest where they all share and die. Most hardware stores carry it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

On the occasions we get them, I do a thorough cleaning, keep all food tightly covered, and the ants go elsewhere. I wouldn't use any toxic stuff in our house. I'd rather have the ants!

I thought of doing nothing but our house is really big and crumbs here between the 4 dogs a teenager and DH is just unavoidable although my house is clean clean clean.

I have a very large house and if I do nothing, i will have an investation and turn a relatively small problem into a gigundo problem which is avoidable.

I just can't find where they are coming from.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest TurnerMiller01

i had the same issues here last summer...

Last summer... it was just us... 2 kids... 2 adults... and we noticed ants...

:eek i freeked out.....I'm not a good bug kinda girl... not bad.. but not good either..

and i went to Lowe's or Home Depot ... i forget... but anyway.. bought stuff for inside and outside use...

just read the labels... it will say animal safe,, or people safe.. and read the instructions... about the drying time.. if there is any..

We sprayed the outside perimeter of the house... and the garage really well... put ant traps out in the garage and on the porch at the front door and the back doors...and then sprayed the inside of the house... along the corners of the wall.. where the wall meets the floor...

and within 24 hours.. we were Ant Free. :yay

Good Luck with your Ant Quest!!!!

It is a Fixable problem... which is a good thing.

Guest ss556

Robin, I'm getting ants for the first time in years too - in my bedroom - which is strange. I only have one cat to worry about so I bought indoor ant traps. I would say spray outside. I have no idea where they are coming from either. Been here 28.5 yrs!

Guest Energy11

To be honest, I use Adams Flea and Tick Mist/same as I use on the dogs. Kills them instantly. Just be sure, of course, NOT to spray it around their food or water. I use it on spider (UGH) I find in the house, and other insects, too. We also have used it outside on wasps! For wasps nests, I found a company that make a product called "Safer" which is no toxic to pets and kids. You MIGHT want to google Safer Products to see what they have for ants. Good Luck! I hate 'em too! D

Guest sheila

I used the Terro as well. I just put it in places where the dogs couldn't get to like behind appliances etc.

I have heard that mixing 2 TBS of sugar/1 TBS yeast/1 c. warm water and using it on pieces of cardboard works but I haven't tried it.

Get the bait stations that use fipronil or avermectin B1 as their active ingredient. Both compounds are used to manage endo- and ectoparasites in dogs, so even if they eat the whole dang trap, it's not going to hurt them because 1) of the compounds involved and 2) because of the quantities involved.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Greensleeves

Our neighborhood was apparently built on the primeval nesting grounds of the local ant population. There is NO getting rid of them; best we can hope for is to control them.

Terro makes these nifty little traps, same stuff as the liquid but easier to use. We put those under the sink, in the basement rafters, etc. Out-of-the-way places. Inside, we spray with Terro indoor ant spray (again, under the sink, etc). Keep the dogs out until the mist evaporates and you wipe down the surfaces. You will be finding dead ants for several days, but after that it controls for months.

We also use something outside, on the sides of the house where the dogs have no access. I want to say it's Spectracide; whatever it is, we put it down once and it controls all summer.

Also, check around the outside of your home for places where they might be nesting. Make sure you keep your gutters clean (that's somewhere they like to hang out locally).

DH brought home pet safe all natural mint based spray and it works!

Guest greytfulhounds

What is the name of this spray? I, too, am having a major ant problem for the first time. On another list someone had said to use apple cider vinegar and wipe things down. I did and still the ants are coming!! :angry:

Guest greytvolunteer

Put this in your search engine and look it up-it can be used for all kinds of bugs and pests.

It is safe for animals. I found it in Lowes

Diatomatious Earth

Guest eaglflyt

One important caution about Diatomaceous Earth .... it is abrasive. On the Tick-L list, there was mention of a person that used it around their dog's habitat and the dog got such severe corneal abrasions that it was permanently blinded. So, make sure this is not anywhere that your dog can get to it and get it in his eyes ... children, too. Also, birders are very cautious using this around their birds since inhalation of such an abrasive substance could possibly damage lungs. I would be concerned if it was moved into the air and inhaled by animals or humans.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Energy11
One important caution about Diatomaceous Earth .... it is abrasive. On the Tick-L list, there was mention of a person that used it around their dog's habitat and the dog got such severe corneal abrasions that it was permanently blinded. So, make sure this is not anywhere that you dog can get to it and get it in his eyes ... children, too. Also, birders are very cautious using this around their birds since inhalation of such an abrasive substance could possibly damage lungs. I would be concerned if it was moved into the air and inhaled by animals or humans.

I really like the Safer product line. http://www.saferbrand.com

We use the pet safe mint-based product too, with really good success. The house smells like a gum factory, but the funniest reaction is the cats. If you have a catnip affected cat (some just aren't and some get high!) this stuff will put them over the edge. My one cat runs around looking stoned for a couple hours. That's the worst that happens!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest KennelMom

What is the name of this spray? I, too, am having a major ant problem for the first time. On another list someone had said to use apple cider vinegar and wipe things down. I did and still the ants are coming!! :angry:

Any eensy bit of any food left out in the kennel during the summer time will bring the ants in. I've found regular white vinegar has kept the ants away. I thought ACV might be too sweet for to deter ants. Not sure I'd want to use it in my house though! I don't care for the vinegar smell...

Indoors, I use Windex to remove the ant trails scent. Ants do not like the windex and will not cross the stuff. Also, Comet sprinkled outside onto the mounds, and raked into the soil a little, will kill the ants. The stuff sticks to the ants, they lick it off themselves, and each other. Dead ants. It doesnt last long, and must be kept up but it eventually gets the better of the hives.

We live in Texas where fire ants are a big problem. If it rains, since it is so biodegradable, it is just washed away, reapply.

We have traveled extensively, and this method has been listed in the hints in many RV parks around the country.

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

Guest TaraCoachCougar

This weekend my grandma told me to pour PineSol on the fire ant hills. Not sure how pet-safe it is or it works. It just came up in conversation this weekend.

This weekend my grandma told me to pour PineSol on the fire ant hills. Not sure how pet-safe it is or it works. It just came up in conversation this weekend.

I'm not sure if I ever related this story before, but it's a good 'un.

Years ago, back in the Days of Wage, as an explosives chemist, we'd have dry ice left over from one of the syntheses that we'd be doing. Out of puerile curiosity, I dropped the better part of a 5 pound block of dry ice onto a harvester ant mound. We had no other use for it, and rather than let it go to waste, I thought I'd run that experiment on the desert's little nasties. These guys are like the big black ants we had back in Pennsylvania, but much tougher. You could step on them, and they'd just ask you not to do that again and go back to work.

And they attacked the dry ice with great vigor- climbing over the bodies of their frozen comrades so they, too, would become little antsicles. I don't know if it was the carbon dioxide mimicking a predator rummaging through an ant mound or what, but they went bezerk. And, of course, they all perished.

For MONTHS, the ant hill did nothing. Maybe 7-8 months later, it sprung back into action, but another fortuitous synthesis provided the opportunity for another experiment, and that one seemed to put the kibosh on the ant hill permanently.

After the whole "raspberry ant" thing came up, I emailed a couple of entomologists in Texas who were working on the problem. The collective response was "meh."

So- if anyone out there has an ant hill with either raspberry ants or fire ants that tries this, please PM me and let me know how it goes. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)