Dog Has Itchy, Red, Hairless (from Chewing) Patch On Side For Four Mon

Guest jkl34

Guest jkl34

I'm at my wits end trying to solve this. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

My lovely greyhound has about a roughly 6 inch by 3 inch patch on her side that she's get's itchy and chews. It's been around at about the same size/shape for almost 4 months now. It goes through stages of redness, depending on how much she aggravates it. It's not open-sore/raw or red, but just enough to be annoyingly frustrating. It doesn't seem to be as bad as this described for hotspots: http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/dehotspot.html

I've taken her to the vet three times now and they say it's alergies and just keep giving her antibiotics and steroids, which calm some of the itching and redness for a little while but eventually they run out and she gets itchy again and starts chewing out her hair. They tested for yeast infections, mites and a handful of other possible issues, but all came up negative. They just keep giving her more steroids and antibacterial pills.

I've had similar calming results with Benadryl and a little Bag Balm to keep her skin moist. (...and it doesn't cost me $110 each time I need to refill!)

I've also tried Neosporin to help cut the bacteria (if it was a surface infection) and it hasn't made a difference. I've also given her a capsule of fish oil daily since I've had her. I've also started putting her shirts on her, so that she can't get her teeth directly on her skin when she's itchy (hopefully to minimize the damage).

She does have food allergies to chicken, but I'm constantly watching that and her diet hasn't changed so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

She doesn't have fleas and has been Frontlined since I've owned her.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I really don't like having my dog doped up all the time on 'roids or Benadryl and I'm just frustrated with the lack of answers from my vet.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tips for regrowing hair on greyhounds would be excellent too!

As far as the hair growth goes, I assume she's been tested for thyroid issues as it's one of the symptoms. Though with the absence of other symptoms, I would say that some greyhounds are just less hair-y than others. I have two that are real fluff balls, one with som typical greyhound pattern baldness (backs of thighs, belly and neck) and one with almost no hair on his lower half, and all are normal for greys.

For the hot spot there are two thoughts. Number 1 is to use some hydrocortisone cream or spray right on the spot. Most anti-itch medication (OTC) will help stop the itch topically. Bad part about them is they can also add to the hotspot situation by not drying out the spot - which is the problem in getting it to heal. If you can find one in spray form it'll probably help more.

Thought number 2 is to use some Milk of Magnesia on the spot. Someone just recently posted this remedy which made m remember it! Just dab some one the spot twice a day and let it dry. The T-shirt is a good idea as she needs to not itch at it as much as possible. Though if it's on her side you might consider some non-stick gauze pads and vet wrap for more secure coverage. Also keep her muzzle on when you're gone. It'll help some too even though most can still lick through the muzzle.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would try her on an antihistamine. IMO Chlortrimeton works way better than Benadryl for skin issues. An average sized GH would get 2 4mg tablets twice daily. It's a safe drug to give ad lib but, please confirm this with you veterinarian. :)

Guest MAXNAV

Did they check for thyroid issues? My friend's dog chewed himself bald until the vet finally did a thyroid test. He ended up being hypothyroid, and was put on meds and there was no more chewing or bald spots after that.

My dog Daisy had a similar issue and it was caused by food allergies. Even if you didn't change foods around the time this behavior/problem began, sometimes the dog food companies change their recipes which can cause this problem.

Ask your vet for an allergy formula dog food (the proteins are processed differently) use it for at least 1-2 months and see if things begin to get better. (These can be pricy.) Or, try a limited ingredient, novel protein food. Novel proteins are those that dogs are seldom exposed to before--duck, venison, fish, lamb. It took us over a year to get Daisy's bald and yellow spots on her coat to be right, and even after four years, we still don't have the magic firm poops that are the holy grail of resolving food issues.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest TurnerMiller01
My dog Daisy had a similar issue and it was caused by food allergies. Even if you didn't change foods around the time this behavior/problem began, sometimes the dog food companies change their recipes which can cause this problem.

Ask your vet for an allergy formula dog food (the proteins are processed differently) use it for at least 1-2 months and see if things begin to get better. (These can be pricy.) Or, try a limited ingredient, novel protein food. Novel proteins are those that dogs are seldom exposed to before--duck, venison, fish, lamb. It took us over a year to get Daisy's bald and yellow spots on her coat to be right, and even after four years, we still don't have the magic firm poops that are the holy grail of resolving food issues.

yes.. i was thinking that too...

it might possibly be a food allergy...

I have been looking in to lots of food stuff lately... as you guys already know...lol :)

I agree with you about not wanting to give so many drugs all the time. You're just putting a band-aid on the problem & never getting to the root of it.

When I got my first greyhound, Faolin, he had chronic ear infections & would chew raw patches on his thighs. Nothing the vet did could get rid of them. Once I heard her say, it's allergies, just give him benedryl, I realized I'd be on my own. First thing I did was switch him over to a raw diet - got rid of the grains & preservatives & unknown ingredients (including all his treats). Helped him overall, but still his ears did not clear up. Finally did enviromental allergy testing & he came back highly allergic to dust mites among other things. Pulled up the carpet, got a better vacuum, washed all his bedding & toys more often & started de-sensitization shots. Within a few months, his ears got markedly better & after a few years, he's off the shots altogether with no ear problems.

So, I'd pursue the food angle first because it's easier & cheaper. If that doesn't do it, test for environmental allergies. Also no harm in doing a thyroid panel (not just a T4 - get a free T4 test too - it's part of a 6 panel test the vet sends out for analysis). I'm sure the vet has ruled out mites & mange, right?

I think skin problems (other than mites or lice, yuck!) need to be fixed from inside the dog. Once you fix the inside, the outside will heal & the dog will feel so much better. Good luck!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

To help heal the wound maybe ask your vet for some Gentimyicen (sp) in liquid form.

I had a vet up in RI give me some for a little girl that had a hot spot I just couldn't get cleared up.

The stuff worked WONDERS :) and it must taste bitter cause one lick and that was the only lick the little girl did on the area :)

But finding out why your hound is chewing on this spot is what really needs to be figured out.

We did have one hound who had a spot up between her shoulder blades that just would never heal. Come to find out she had a little hay seed embedded in the skin.

I would try her on an antihistamine. IMO Chlortrimeton works way better than Benadryl for skin issues. An average sized GH would get 2 4mg tablets twice daily. It's a safe drug to give ad lib but, please confirm this with you veterinarian. :)

I think I remember you naming this drug before. Is it an OTC or is it a script?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Gee did this and went through all the things you've gone through but nothing helped her either. Finally the last visit to the vet, they drew blood and she came back low thyroid. We started her on thyroid medication and low and behold she has stopped scratching all together. The hair is growing back and she's not miserable any more.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I would try an Omega fatty acid supplement. It will help the quality of the skin, as well as regrowth of hair.

My suggestion is Hair of the Dog, by Doc's blend: www.docsblend.com I don't know where you are located, but it would also be worth emailing the manufacturers, and asking about shipping, rather than just going with what's on the website.

Now, this is assuming you are feeding a good quality food, whether raw or commercial.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Judynyc

I agree with the diet change idea.

A dog near me was totally losing all her fur and the vet they were seeing had her on all kinds of meds...but no diet change!! :rolleyes:

They put her on a no grain diet, switched to a wholistic vet, and the dog's coat started to grow back in a couple of months.

What are you feeding your dog?

When Leyla first came to live with me7 months ago), she had a pink and bald belly...and was on lamb/rice food. Since I switched her to a grain free food, her belly has since grown hair and changed color!! :colgate

It's OTC and very inexpensive--look for the generic :)

It's OTC and very inexpensive--look for the generic :)

Has anyone vet mentioned if Chlortrimeton is safe for pups. I've never heard of it mentioned for dogs before. I'm pretty sure it's less sedating than Benedryl, so it would be nice to try if it's safe.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04