Kane Has Osteo

Guest Speedhoundz

Guest Speedhoundz

Hi all,

I don't post much, but I could really use some support right now from other greyhound lovers. Kane was diagnosed with osteo today and I am just beside myself.

I knew it could happen one day, I just didn't expect it in my 6 1/2-year-old dog. When Kane started limping slightly a week and a half ago, I thought maybe he hurt his paw or his shoulder muscle. I inspected his feet and didn't notice anything, so thinking it was a sprain of some sort, I restricted his activity and gave him some buffered aspirin a few times. This week, I started to worry when his limp seemed to get a little worse and his right wrist looked like it had a knot on it. Perhaps I was imagining it, I thought. Perhaps his paw had always been like that but I never noticed before. But the mommy in me knew something wasn't right.

I tried to prepare myself for the worst today, but I realized there was no way I could have prepared myself to hear that my biggest fear was actually reality.

The vet took chest xrays, which appear to be ok, and will call me with blood test results tomorrow. We meet with an oncologist on Monday to discuss all our options.

Now for a question: Should I send the xrays (which I have on CD) to Dr. Couto for a second opinion? I have no idea how to contact him, but i know others have sent films to him before.

This decision is going to be incredibly difficult. For anyone who has gone through this and would like to share your experience, I'd love to hear it. Some practical considerations for us are that we live in a condo up three flights of steps (how would an amputee do with that?) and DH and I are expecting our first child in October.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't let me type what I said when I saw him name pop up. Talk to Eliza ASAP. I watched Cookie do stairs within short time BUT Eliza lived on the bottom floor and didn't have to carry her while she relearned stairs.

** I'm so sorry :grouphug

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Oh, Beth, I'm so sorry!

Here's OSU's info: OSU-GHWP

Let me know if there's anything I can do. :grouphug :grouphug

Oh - do you go to Dr. K? You can have your vet work directly with OSU if you want. If you have Christine as a vet, she's an OSU alum and I know she's more than happy to work with them.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest jenznaz

I'm so very sad to hear about Kane. I've just lost my boy (would have been 7 in August) to a fast and malignant mast cell tumor. My group had me contact Dr. Couto right after Naz's first surgery, and he was wonderful. Here's his personal email, couto.1@osu.edu and this is his teams email greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

Here's the link to the program's website: www.vet.ohio-state.edu/1872.htm

I live on the top floor of an apartment, too. After Naz's surgery, my fiance and I had to coordinate our schedules so that we could both be home to carry all 75 lbs of him up and down 3 flights of stairs 3 times a day. The night before we let him go he stopped being able to walk, so we had to carry him then, too.

The decision you have to make is the most difficult one. Although my guy didn't have osteo, having gone through what we went through, I have to say - I'd choose quality of life over quantity again. Although I had to try the first surgery on his leg to try and get rid of the tumor, I chose not to do chemo. I also opted not to do a second surgery when the tumor came back with a vengence. The time we had between the first diagnosis and surgery to last Tuesday when I let him go were jam-packed with lovin', hikes, outings, runs and family visits.

I miss him so much every day it kills me, but I'm at peace with the choices I made for my dog who had no voice.

I'm nearby in Fairfax, if you need to talk.

Hugs :grouphug

Jen

Oh, and read Winslow's thread. It's all about the amputation and recovery. Winslow (who is also a GW dog :wub: ) is still with us 2.5 years post-amp!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest TBSFlame

I am so sorry. I know that feeling. I am glad you are going to see an oncologist. They should have the most up to date information.

Guest Pipi5

Gogh was 6 in October, diagnosed in January with osteo of the left front wrist, a week later xrays of the lungs showed a nodule. I chose not to do chemo or amputation. I had him put to sleep a month later. The knot on his leg grew 3 times in size w/in 3 weeks. Osteo is very agressive.

Edited by Pipi5

Guest LANDOLISA

I would have your vet or yourself contact OSU... At this time they have our 11 year old boy, going through amputation as I am typing, for a (OSA) Tumor . They are the best...

Warm wishes and heartfelt thoughts to you and Kane. :bighug

Edited by LANDOLISA

Beth :grouphug

I have no words. :cry1 I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. There is hope though, Kane is a young dog and with clean lungs probably a very good candidate for amputation if you decide to go that route. It's a very tough choice - please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Kaquel

Definately send the x-rays to Dr. Couto. He is an extremely kind man and he knows so much about these dogs (particularly pertaining to osteo) that even the most experienced vet may not know.

I do know of amputees that do steps just fine with a little re-learning. At the Expo last weekend Dr. Couto talked about amputation, and he basically said that greyhounds are born with three legs and a spare, and that it is much easier for them to adjust to amputation than most people think. He actually said word for word: "No greyhound needs four legs." It is still your personal choice of course. You will do whatever is best in Kane's case.

I would send the x-rays asap so that you will have Dr. Couto's advice going into the enco meeting.

Good luck. And I'm so sorry this happened to your boy.

Guest MnMDogs

Oh I'm so sorry :(

We just lost Matty to OS about 7 weeks ago. We didn't go the amp route, but please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Definitely check out Winslow's diary, though.

I'm so sorry to hear of Kane's diagnosis :(

:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest RynnAndLyra

I'm so sorry. My Sterling is 6 and 1/2 too. Same circumstance as your pup - started limping - we treated for a strain. His lung x ray was clear also - so we amputated. It is three weeks today and he is doing great - he does two flights of stairs without a problem. Tomorrow we go to have his lungs x rayed again. If all clear - then we proceed with chemo with help from OSU.

Again - I'm so sorry - I know what a shock it is.

Guest JarBear

I'm so sorry. You have some difficult decisions to make. Only you know what will be best for Kane. We have lost two to this nasty disease in the past 7 months. One 9 and one 6. Both times we chose not to amputate.

Guest CDNgreys

I'm so sorry.

I remember how I felt when my boy was diagnosed with OS. I kinda knew it was coming but it's still a punch in the stomach.

:hope:candle